Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to Fish Again - In Cork

Options
  • 12-08-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Guys,

I was quite an active fisherman in my teens, but because I work overseas, I stopped for over 15 years. I grew up in Galway and fished the full range of coarse, game and sea - well at least as much I could cycle to.
    Now I want to get back into fishing, but I don't know the marks around Cork. I can travel, and am looking for exciting, different fishing.
    Here's the gear I got down for the attic and what I've bought to give you an idea.

1. Shimano Catana CX - Light Spin - 10-30g - Using braid mainline and soft plastics and lures. Mackerel and Pollock so far . . . but no bass!

2. Okuma Distance Surf 14ft 4-8oz Beachcaster + Shimano Beastmaster 7000 XSA - Have only caught small dogfish so far.

3. Penn 11ft Grilse Fly Rod #6-8 - My uncle got this for me as a birthday present many years ago to fish for trout on western loughs. I've ordered a #6 intermediate line (trout) and #8 floating (pike and sea fishing??)

4. John Wilson 11-13ft Avon/Quiver 1.25lb TC- Ordered this rod online recently to cover my course fishing needs. Got good reviews online and I've matched it with a bait runner reel and braid mainline. Would love to catch bream, tench, small carp, etc.

So guys, I know it's a big ask, but what spots should I go to? What rigs should I use? What time of day? What bait?
    I would pay €10-15 a day for fishing, a little bit more as an occasional treat, but naturally free is best!

Help me out and I'll buy ya a pint when I meet ya on the water's edge!

PM me if you want to keep spots discrete. I practice catch and release for everything except a few mackerel for the bbq!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi,

Well I only do fly fishing, But if i were you I'd invest in a Fly caster (If your casts are splashy, And you dont remember how to fly fish, There about 40 euro for 1 hour, Trust me It's worth it) And then I'd go to stocked lake ( I dont live in cork but this link has all the stocked lakes in ireland, http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/putandtake/Cork.htm ) For rainbow trout till you get better, Because Big wild brown Trout are hard enough to catch, As for salmon cork is very good ( http://www.fishinginireland.info/salmon/southwest.htm ) But i wouldn't start yet, Till you get the hang of fly fishing, And It's been a very bad year everywhere for salmon angling because the rivers are so low,

Good luck, Tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

What time, For brown trout and salmon in hot day the best times around Early in the morning, And late in evening!, As for flys trout, daddy long legs, bibio , Invicta , black pennel , Sedges (diffrent types) Also go to fishing tackle shop near you, They'll tell you where to go, and what flies, rigs etc to get, ( link http://www.fishinginireland.info/tackleshops/cork.htm ) all the tackle shops in Cork are listed in here i think

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazza85g

Thanks, thefisherbuy. Ballyhass is doing fly casting lessons for €30, so I'll start with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

For fishing in Cork...

Carp .. The Lough would be your best bet.. Free to fish, and at the moment it's fishing very well with lots of fish being caught, anywhere from 1lb to 20lb plus.
    Most are being caught on boilie, maggots, and sweetcorn.

Bream .. Has to be Inniscarra.. Lots of skimmers, hybrids, rudd, roach and good Bream being caught there. I haven't fished it in a while, but I think best baits at the moment are, maggots, worm, and sweetcorn. Plus you have the chance of getting some nice Carp there too.
    As far as I know, it's about €10 a day to fish, but you can get a permit for €30 for the year, from January to January. You will need some form of I.D. for the permit, and 2 passport sized photos.
    You can get the permits from Murray's Fishing Tackle Shop on Patrick's Street, but it can take a few days to get it all sorted.
    If you can't wait, you can go to the Fisheries Office up in Macroom, and they do it while you wait.

Tench .. Best place I know of is an old reservoir down towards Fermoy. It's called Knockanannig.
    I'm not sure if you have to pay to fish this, so best make inquiries about it.
    It holds a fine head of good Tench up to about 5lb-6lb. It also has roach, and Bream. I presume the usual baits will work here, maggots, sweetcorn and worm.

While your in that area, you also have the river Blackwater itself.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazza85g

Many thanks guys. Can someone tell me about coarse fishing on Inniscarra lake? How much is a permit for a day? And a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

bazza85g wrote: »
    Many thanks guys. Can someone tell me about coarse fishing on Inniscarra lake? How much is a permit for a day? And a year?

Your better off to just pay the €30 for the year permit as i think its around 10 just for a day permit.You will catch fish at almost anywhere you can gain access to the bank on the reservoir but i think the most densely populated part of the lake for coarse fish is around coachford. (Thats just my opinion though and keep in mind i only fish the lake for pike and occasionally cast out a worm just to see what takes it).

I think once you go past the second dam to Carrigadrohid/lough Allua its free fishing too.These lakes also have a very good stock of coarse fish

Advertisement