Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Eircom maximum line speeds realistic?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

looking for real world experience vs maximum line speeds as given by Eircom line checker.

I'm looking into Vodafone at the moment to replace Permanet I'm currently with in Baltimore, West Cork. Eircom is telling me 15MB, I presume Vodafone will be the same as they're using the same lines. It seems to me that the Eircom line checker tool has some logic to it as an address 200m down the road (further from the exchange) gives a maximum line speed of 12MB.

So my question is: what is your real world experience with the "official" maximum speed?

guessing from the map the exchange location at "irelandoffline" I'm about 2.1km away from the exchange...

Any info/feedback very much appreciated

Regards, Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

At around 2.5km from the exchange, speed checkers usually give me a reading of about 12Mb.

Real max speeds are 7.7 down/0.5 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi,

looking for real world experience vs maximum line speeds as given by Eircom line checker.

I'm looking into Vodafone at the moment to replace Permanet I'm currently with in Baltimore, West Cork. Eircom is telling me 15MB, I presume Vodafone will be the same as they're using the same lines. It seems to me that the Eircom line checker tool has some logic to it as an address 200m down the road (further from the exchange) gives a maximum line speed of 12MB.

So my question is: what is your real world experience with the "official" maximum speed?

guessing from the map the exchange location at "irelandoffline" I'm about 2.1km away from the exchange...

Any info/feedback very much appreciated

Regards, Max

Theyre accurate, but represent the very best the line can do. In the same way you wouldnt run an engine at max RPMs 24/7 ISPs will typically set you one notch down from the prequal. For you that means 15Mb Preual, 12Mb Sync, 10.5Mb or so on speed tests(real throughput).
    sesswhat wrote: »
    At around 2.5km from the exchange, speed checkers usually give me a reading of about 12Mb.

Real max speeds are 7.7 down/0.5 up.

You're on an 8Mb package. Change to 24Mb to get 10-12Mb.

Advertisement