Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband ethernet connection

Options
  • 07-08-2014 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Having bought the horizon internet 200MB, as ive now realised its max ing out around 40MB on the speedtest. Want to wire my laptop up to the horizon box directly as ive heard you get the 200MB then.
    Problem is that its not connecting properly, do i need to get a cat5e ethernet cable as the one i have is years old or could there be another problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

How is it not connecting properly? The cable should have the grade written somewhere on it. Also if you could post the model of your computer, your ethernet port would have to be Gb/s capable. Also speedtest.net is only really indicative of the true speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Has your laptop/pc a GigE ethernet port? That's the only way you are going to get 200mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gred2222

Its an ASUS K50IJ?
    ive got it connected now and the computer is picking up on it. Just the speed hasnt improved. Was i wrong in thinking that it would improve if it was wired up?
    The cable says B14 on it. Thanks.

Its got a 10/100 ethernet or something? A bit old so probably isn't too great.

Computer's compatible all right. B14 doesn't really mean anything, does it say cat 5 or 5e or 6? When it's connected could you follow the instructions here to see what speed you're connecting to your Horizon box?

Also turn off WiFi when testing as it may be using that connection instead of the wired one.

And also try using speedtest.upc.ie, I find that's generally more consistent.

• Advertisement

The speed its connecting at is 100 Mb which isnt great as its meant to be 200mb. Wi fi off and its still coming in around the same mark on that speed test nowhere near 100mb or 200mb.
    Ive ordered a macbook a few days ago, will that better be able to utilise the wifi?

gred2222 wrote: »
    The speed its connecting at is 100 Mb which isnt great as its meant to be 200mb. Wi fi off and its still coming in around the same mark on that speed test nowhere near 100mb or 200mb.
    Ive ordered a macbook a few days ago, will that better be able to utilise the wifi?

Here the connection from the Horizon box to your computer is a limiting factor, 40 Mb/s would be pretty nominal on a 100BaseT port. Your computer is capable of more so I'd be looking at the cable. Try a different port on the box?

It could also be congestion on UPC's part but I doubt it at this hour.

On the Macbook thing, your current one is wireless-n enabled so it shouldn't really make a difference. Depends on the number of antennae in your laptop/Horizon box, however I think Horizon is limited to 130 Mb/s over WiFi. When it comes to WiFi there could be 10s of things going wrong, from interference to old device drivers, that's why the ethernet way is better for testing. If you want to get anything over the theoretical 130 Mb/s max of your WiFi you'll probably need to get a new ethernet cable, rated 5e at least. However very few services will utilise the 200 Mb/s you should have available, it's great if there are multiple computers using your connection at once but if it's just yourself you probably won't notice.

Edit: I actually think it's kind of great that here in Ireland we (some of us) can now get a connection to the internet that we're not even capable of taking advantage of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

hey guys,

so i recently signed up to upc broadband 120mb so i have done a number of different tests

so with WIFI on speeed test i was getting about 50mb then using IDM(internet download manager) i got about the same

when i connected with cable.. speedtest was a little better but still around the 50mb mark, but when i downloaded a file via IDM i was getting around 93mb!!! :D :O

then lastly over wifi i tried both my phone and my laptop and ipad at the same time doing speed test and on the laptop i was hitting around 50 and the other two around 30mb each so this was around 110mb altogether so i was getting great speeds and this i might add is with bog standard equipment no fancy routers or lan cards ect

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IHATEUPC

HELP!! have an xbox one with a UPC TC7200 router and am getting an error cannot get an IP address.
    any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

IHATEUPC wrote: »
    HELP!! have an xbox one with a UPC TC7200 router and am getting an error cannot get an IP address.
    any ideas?

Going by your username I'd say you are trolling.....

• Advertisement

I am a upc horizon customer. Quite happy with everything. Just am unable to change the wifi channnel on the box. I have found directions ie go to settings, then home network settings, but i do not have the "wifi settings" option on that menu. It jus comes up saying a few things including "wifi2.4g status". Cant find any option to change the wifi channel. Thanks

Advertisement