Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomas385

New drone video on YouTube from around the Derrylea roundabout to the Belcarra Road.

(Can't post link as it says I am a new member, the YouTube channel name is "JayKay")

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

That's a great video, thanks for sharing :) Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/L3dJR87m7Tk

thomas385 wrote: »
    New drone video on YouTube from around the Derrylea roundabout to the Belcarra Road.

(Can't post link as it says I am a new member, the YouTube channel name is "JayKay")

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

thomas385 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great video, it's coming on really well. Didn't realise it went quite as close to the rugby pitch as that, there could be a few overhit conversions bouncing out onto the road at Cloondeash.

Looking forward to spinning back to Westport on the dual carriageway with the sun setting in the background some evening in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement

Bridge deck now in place on the Islandeady Road, looking west towards Westport and Croagh Patrick.

549724.jpg

Link https://m.facebook.com/Structive/photos/a.109636937518872/242183844264180/?type=3&source=48

Very detailed maps of the entire project have appeared on the scheme website https://n5w2t.com/

This is very welcome as these maps haven't been available online previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

On there way to castlebar 14/04/21
    VAqjdML.jpg

Couple of quick updates on this scheme:

1. The railway bridges on either side of Castlebar are well advanced with abutments and embankments in place. It appears to my untrained eye that the bridge decks could be installed at any time.

2. Earthworks are well underway on the N59 section. There is a lot of machinery in the area and the outline of the realigned road is clearly visible, but a lot of digging is still needed in the Barleyhill/Slaugar area.

3. New drone footage from the Turlough end of the scheme: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COGlUtQJGdR/?igshid=11wu4zuh0a999

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Dudda

Couple of quick updates on this scheme:

1. The railway bridges on either side of Castlebar are well advanced with abutments and embankments in place. It appears to my untrained eye that the bridge decks could be installed at any time.
    Possibly something that will be done over the May Bank Holiday weekend. Irish Rail usually do their engineering works over long weekends and operate bus transfers.

• Advertisement

Google maps have updated their satellite imagery for most of the new N5 route. It looks like the images are only a few weeks old.

There's a fantastic level of detail visible, well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭yannakis

Google maps have updated their satellite imagery for most of the new N5 route. It looks like the images are only a few weeks old.

There's a fantastic level of detail visible, well worth a look.

Google Earth (desktop) says 2 Apr 2021 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

yannakis wrote: »
    Google Earth (desktop) says 2 Apr 2021 :)

Where on google maps can you check dates the satellite images are taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭yannakis

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Where on google maps can you check dates the satellite images are taken?

That's the date of the images you see in Google Maps.

Earth Desktop just indicates the dates, that's why I checked there. It also has more versions of images (sometimes newer ones than what's published in Maps).

The Islandeady Road closure row has been resolved: https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/05/07/agreement-reached-on-temporary-closure-of-n5-access-to-west-mayo-community/

The local residents did well, the original planned closure was 9 months.

552616.jpeg

New drone video on YouTube from Kilbree into Westport

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The last 30 sec shows very little progress around Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭irishgeo

spacetweek wrote: »
    The last 30 sec shows very little progress around Westport.

Only type 2 that and no bridges so I imagine it's probably going to be the last bit done. The priority is to get the bridges done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Massive progress around the Castlebar area. Different kind of road building than times gone by. very little mess etc. Ballyhaunis plant hire have 2 road sweepers flat out going from site to site keeping the place clean.

Serious digging at the N60 junction in Castlebar today, courtesy of Jack Walsh drone photography.

553073.jpg

Link: https://m.facebook.com/2224058757921503/photos/a.2761274107533296/2910175265976512/?type=3&source=54&ref=page_internal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I know that it has to happen, but holy crap those two poor households.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would take a guess that they were offered CPO and declined.

L1011 wrote: »
    I would take a guess that they were offered CPO and declined.

They look like those Chinese Nail Houses.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2014/apr/15/china-nail-houses-in-pictures-property-development

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I know that it has to happen, but holy crap those two poor households.

Thankfully both houses were CPOd as per the post below.
    WBEngineer wrote: »
    The house on the far right was purchased in 2017 by its current occupants. Mayo CoCo agreed to CPO the property in August 2020 after some issues arose with the owners. They are still residing in the property.

The property to its left was not originally meant to be CPO'd either. However, in 2016 Mayo CoCo changed its mind, altered the road plan and CPO'd the property after issues with the owners arose. Those occupants moved to a new build on the Westport Road in 2019.

However, that house was then given by Mayo CoCo to the couple that lived in the sole property to be demolished (property once stood with the green portaloo is located). They were residing there while their new home was being built. They are in the process of vacating the property. This property was/is expected to become a site office for WillsBam.

The house to the left of the demolished property (corner/garden visible in image) is occupied. That house is actually built on the sheet rock that is being broken/blasted and as such they are living in hell with noise and tremors echoing through the house from 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday. If you walk past that property you may be able to see the sound recorders installed in the rear garden by Mayo CoCo during working hours.

Finally, the property to the left of that house but out of view in the drone image is temporary vacant. The occupants complained about the noise and Mayo CoCo has agreed to pay them to rent a property elsewhere until the project is completed.

Thanks for the update. Awful situation, but sadly it must happen.

I drove the full length of the scheme today- it was a beautiful day here and the contractor was hard at it at every location I visited. Huge amount of haulage traffic on the existing W-C road also. Here are some highlights, from west to east.

1. Barleyhill bends: Earthworks are advancing apace, with much of the top of the hill beside the Slaugar road junction now removed.

2. Lodge Road underbridge: Embankments are now being built up here to connect with the future underbridge.

3. Sheeaun road overbridge: Huge progress here, the temporary road diversion is open and a concrete pour for the bridge pillars was underway when I passed. The embankments leading up to the new bridge are largely complete too.

4. Derradda and Drumneen overbridges: The temporary diversions are open in both of these locations and digging out the future cuttings is continuing apace. The Drumneen cutting will be a monster, 30 metres from the top to road level.

5. Islandeady Road overbridge: The bridge is complete, tie-in works will be carried out during a road closure in June.

6. Lough Lannagh causeway: This has been built up and widened further since my last visit at Christmas, I presume it must be near its final level now.

7. Castlebar west roundabout: Not much change here, but a lot of haulage traffic along the new road, with flagmen in place.

8. Belcarra road overbridge and N60 overbridge: Temporary diversions open and the cuttings through the limestone bedrock look to be nearly finished. Foundation works for bridge abutments are underway and workers were securing rebar for the next concrete pour at the N60 junction when I passed.

9. Castlebar east roundabout: Very busy here with both haulage traffic and earthworks to realign the existing N5 to line up with the future roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭serfboard

7. Castlebar west roundabout
    The most disappointing aspect of this scheme for me - a roundabout in the middle of a dual carriageway. I know a roundabout is cheaper, but I presume that this was as a result of lobbying by Castlebar businesses to have a roundabout instead of a GSJ (like they have at the N84 and N60 junctions).

Fair enough there are roundabouts in Castlebar East and Westport East at the start and end of the dual carriageway section, but a roundabout in the middle of it is awful bloody annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

serfboard wrote: »
    The most disappointing aspect of this scheme for me - a roundabout in the middle of a dual carriageway. I know a roundabout is cheaper, but I presume that this was as a result of lobbying by Castlebar businesses to have a roundabout instead of a GSJ (like they have at the N84 and N60 junctions).

Fair enough there are roundabouts in Castlebar East and Westport East at the start and end of the dual carriageway section, but a roundabout in the middle of it is awful bloody annoying!

100% agreed!

Agree completely.

Another thing that I find strange is that between that Castlebar West roundabout and Westport East roundabout there isn't a single exit or junction, a distance of roughly 10km. There are certain stretches of motorway that don't have that distance between exits, never mind a predominantly rural dual carriageway!

• Advertisement

This junction was always planned to be a roundabout. The amount of traffic going on/off the DC to access Castlebar is too high for a GSJ. See screenshot from design report from 2013.

553474.jpg

Advertisement