Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

• 06-08-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭johnnyruane40

Does anyone know when the work will begin on this road?
    Post edited by marno21 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shortly before the general election. Well, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Will they do up the Newport road? At least get rid of the first 2 miles from Westport?

Also anyone else think they should have a bypass going the other way around the town out the Louisburgh road instead of the Newport road?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

theres talk of a PPP being formed and tying this scheme up with the Longford to Ballaghadeereen Scheme which is in planning phase

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/National_Road_Improvement_Works/

Heres a great website for road updates in Mayo

http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=493

I see they have plans to upgrade the Newport Rd to Carragaun

http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=1064

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Isn't there a ring road planned for westport as part of this?

Castlebar was only bypassed/ring roaded 20 years ago. Mental it has to be done again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Bypassed hardly. Castlebar and Galway relief roads at best

• Registered Users Posts: 78,209 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Part of me is wondering why, what I presume is the quietest and least strategic part of the N5 is going to be a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Victor wrote: »
    Part of me is wondering why, what I presume is the quietest and least strategic part of the N5 is going to be a dual carriageway.

Strokestown to Ballaghadreen fairly useless in comparison. Not much commuting going on those sections. A good bit of traffic going to/from the afforementioned places.

The Westport to Castlebar road is the busiest in Mayo. Its has almost double the traffic of the N5 at Swinford.

Also it includes the bypass of Castlebar which would be quite busy. Alot of people live in Castlebar but work in Westport. Westport didn't get to build many homes in the boom.
    Its also a deadly road at the moment.

Its on page 33 of this report.

http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/project-appraisal-guideli/Unit-20.2-Example-Traffic-Modelling-Report.pdf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bypassed hardly. Castlebar and Galway relief roads at best

Two of the 1980s half-arsed bypasses, in many cases built back in to a centre to avoid building a new bridge. Carrick on Shannon, New Ross, Limerick and Letterkenny all come to mind as suffering the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

What kind of Dual Carriageway are they looking at building here? Type 2 or HQDC? If it's the latter then they might as well make it a motorway, but I doubt West Mayo carries enough traffic to justify such a road, even if it is the busiest road in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭johnnyruane40

What kind of Dual Carriageway are they looking at building here? Type 2 or HQDC? If it's the latter then they might as well make it a motorway, but I doubt West Mayo carries enough traffic to justify such a road, even if it is the busiest road in the county.

It's going to be a Type 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Type 2

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Isn't there a ring road planned for westport as part of this?

Castlebar was only bypassed/ring roaded 20 years ago. Mental it has to be done again.

No ringroad planned for westport

afatbollix wrote: »
    The Westport to Castlebar road is the busiest in Mayo. Its has almost double the traffic of the N5 at Swinford.

Also it includes the bypass of Castlebar which would be quite busy. Alot of people live in Castlebar but work in Westport. Westport didn't get to build many homes in the boom.
    Its also a deadly road at the moment.

Its on page 33 of this report.

http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/project-appraisal-guideli/Unit-20.2-Example-Traffic-Modelling-Report.pdf

Also many live in westport and work in castlebar.
    The road has been shortened and doesnt go out fully to turlough now.
    Westport is pretty much going to be bypassed now to

Any idea what way they will go around to the Louisburg road? Around the back of Knockranny? Or do it further out?

Does Westport have an expanshion plan? Like where they want to build more houses? No point in building a bypass if it will be too close to the town in 20 years.

Any idea what way they will go around to the Louisburg road? Around the back of Knockranny? Or do it further out?

Does Westport have an expanshion plan? Like where they want to build more houses? No point in building a bypass if it will be too close to the town in 20 years.

It is quite close to the town but the south side is open. Not like Westport is going to expand a lot anyways. Mayo CoCo report shows huge over supply in westport current and predicted, highest in mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cannot for the life of me see the need for a dual carriageway. Straighten out and widen the existing road would be sufficient.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Cannot for the life of me see the need for a dual carriageway. Straighten out and widen the existing road would be sufficient.
    Agreed - this one is a bit mental. Most of that road already consists of widened and bypassed sections. No need for a new offline build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

spacetweek wrote: »
    Most of that road already consists of widened and bypassed sections. No need for a new offline build.

The widest Bohola to Castlebar N5 section has already been cut from the project.

But Castlebar - Westport is narrow winding road with relativly high traffic counts, many fatal accident spots and upgrade plans going back 30 years. Westport also needs the included relief roads and has never been bypassed.

At best you could argue the Castlebar section isn't necessary, but the early 90s ring road has mostly been absorbed into the town and regularly congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yew_tree

You Plan for the future in cases like this. Westport to Casletebar does need a Dual Carriagway Type 2 is not as wide as say the Motorway from Athlone to Dublin. I think the divider is metal fencing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/N4_Dromad-Roosky.jpg

I thought it has to be a concrete barrier now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I thought it has to be a concrete barrier now?
    Dunno if that's all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

spacetweek wrote: »
    Dunno if that's all the time.

As far as I know, cheese wire style centre dividers are not being used anymore.

Armco is still allowed on type 2 I believe. What did the Tralee scheme get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

As far as I know, cheese wire style centre dividers are not being used anymore.

Just as well, there lethal things when collided with.

When do we think work is likely to start on this ? In the Road Start Dates thread, it's listed as 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Advertisement