Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiMax in Tuam and QoS

Options
  • 04-08-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I currently have Eircom for Broadband and rarely get in excess of 850k/s download speeds. I am considering signing up for Imagine WiMax Broadband. I have read much negative feedback on the RatemyISP website however most posts do not identify location and none were specifically from Tuam and only one was less than six months old. It appears as if the
    Imagine's WiMax service may be oversubscribed and while new subscribers report satisfaction within the first few months, service deteriorates significantly shortly thereafter and subscribers find speeds throttled. It is almost as if new subscribers are allocated a certain Quality of Service and then when contracts can no longer be cancelled, they are allocated with "everyone else" with resultant high levels of contention for bandwidth.

Does anyone in the Tuam (Co. Galway) area have any recent experience with Imagine's WiMax and the quality of service offered?

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I know people on Wimax and for the most part they don't have any problems, however the landline service they provide is shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

Tuam has efiber now from eircom. You should seriously consider this before you look into wireless ISP's

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

2Shae wrote: »
    Tuam has efiber now from eircom. You should seriously consider this before you look into wireless ISP's

Tuam may be listed as live for efibre, but you can be sure that not all of the lines in the area are enabled. A lot of so called fibre enabled areas are been shown as live on the Eircom map but a majority of lines in these areas are still not activated and could be while yet depending on area.

So check your phone number using this link to see if it is available to you before ruling out fixed wireless.

https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_23

Advertisement