Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Weather

Options
  • 18-07-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭

Does anyone notice any effect on coastal fishing when there is thunder in the air? Thinking about heading out there this evening for a while

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Remember that it is advised you do not fish in thunderstorms. Hence I don't know if the storm has any affect on the fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Remember that it is advised you do not fish in thunderstorms. Hence I don't know if the storm has any affect on the fishing.

I'm not going fishing in a thunderstorm as such. It's just really dead and humid out there. If there's thunder I'll hop in the car and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Changing weather is always pretty good for fishing in my opinion. Never had much luck on muggy days though, everything seems to go quiet in this sort of weather. Just my opinion, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

Thunder isnt dangerous. Lightening is tho. I had a few flashes of it last year on the beach so i loosened the drag and legged it 50yards from the rods. It passed quick and the rod starting nodding like a ray had the bait but i wouldnt go back just in case. By time i plucked up the courage to go back the fish had long gone. I packed up and headed off too just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi,

Lightening storms are dangerous When i bought a new fly rod Its said that my fly rod could be hit by lighting because it would attract it(the chances getting hit are very rare anyways), i do go out and find it great, for fishing for trout anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I think the OP is on about fishing in humid weather when thundery weather is a possibility, rather than fishing in a thunderstorm. I work on a charter boat and the last week or so we've seen a very considerable drop in fish, even the way they take is very soft and half-hearted. During the fine spell a while back when we had good,dry sunny weather they were feeding well and biting hard. Just my 2 cents but I really believe that this current weather has a definite negative effect on fishing.
    LR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Went out anyway and lived to tell the tale. Turned out to be a lovely evening with blue skies and sunshine but still really muggy. There wasn't a ripple in the sea. You could see the line dropping onto the water.
    The fishing was poor though, got nothing. The guy next to us got about 5 mackerel but he was fishing constant for 3 hours.

Advertisement