Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rules to fishing please

Options
  • 06-07-2014 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

my friend went fishing today on the barrow track and caught about 15 fish. some old guy gave out to him saying he is only allowed 4 in total as a catch. what are the rules about such thing? did my friend need a licence? is there a limit on how many fish you can get there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

I do not know much myself about fishing but a quick google gives this.

http://www.fishinginireland.info/coarse/cconser.htm

The relevant bit of which is:

Coarse angling in Ireland

Republic of Ireland

The Coarse Fish Bye Law No. 806 of the year 2006 provides for the following conservation measures

a bag limit of 4 coarse fish in any one day,

prohibits the killing of any coarse fish greater than 25 cm in length,

prohibits the sale of any coarse fish in Ireland (excluding NI), this provision will not apply to fishing tackle dealers and fish bait suppliers who have been granted an exemption from their respective Regional Fisheries Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What kind offish and whose waters was he fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

15 fish from a small area is alot. if everyone took 15 fish what would happen?

from a conservation point of view it flies in the face of any good sense.

in fairness to your friend I have gotten that 'fish fever' sea fishing for mackeral a couple of times.

your friend needs to learn to return fish alive and in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

tonyheaney wrote: »
    my friend went fishing today on the barrow track and caught about 15 fish. some old guy gave out to him saying he is only allowed 4 in total as a catch. what are the rules about such thing? did my friend need a licence? is there a limit on how many fish you can get there?

On the upper barrow there is a 3 fish limit and all trout must be 9 inches .if your friend took 15 trout I hope he adapts to catch and release pretty soon or we are all doomed . Licence is required on the upper barrow a number of clubs exist on it , just hope it doesn't continue it's a disgrace !!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

sheesh wrote: »
    15 fish from a small area is alot. if everyone took 15 fish what would happen?

from a conservation point of view it flies in the face of any good sense.

in fairness to your friend I have gotten that 'fish fever' sea fishing for mackeral a couple of times.

your friend needs to learn to return fish alive and in good condition.

Mackerel are plentiful enough (although you won't believe it if you read the Mackerel thread) and id have no bother bringing home 15 of them. 5 for the dinner and 10 for the freezer.

Other than mackies I'd never take more than two fish, no matter what species they are. The whole reason the fishing has gone to sh1te in this country is because of people like the op's friend

• Advertisement
Advertisement