Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's all the minnow gone??

Options
  • 30-06-2014 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Was out fishing yesterday in two rivers. Both usually have a good head of minnow which I'd use for bait for trout. I didn't see one minnow in either of the rivers.
    Any reason why they're not about?? Both rivers are clean rivers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Probably fished out. I have come across an awful lot of lads using them for bait this year. They said they got the idea from internet fishing forums, because they used to only use worms in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Probably fished out. I have come across an awful lot of lads using them for bait this year. They said they got the idea from internet fishing forums, because they used to only use worms in the past.

fishing shops don't even have them. Rang a few places this morning and they're like hens teeth ATM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Hundreds in the river I get them from,though they're a bit small this year

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Floods can take a terrible toll on them, coupled with over fishing and in some cases competition from non native species their numbers have declined everywhere.

I got 10 today. Seems they're breeding ATM with some showing bright orange colours an marks on the head from mating.
    Anyway got ten minnow and got nine trout. Not bad for hour in the evening.
    One dent fish of about 2lb and was wild so was returned. Kept one also which was a stocky

• Advertisement

I got 10 today. Seems they're breeding ATM with some showing bright orange colours an marks on the head from mating.
    Anyway got ten minnow and got nine trout. Not bad for hour in the evening.
    One dent fish of about 2lb and was wild so was returned. Kept one also which was a stocky

And then you wonder where they have all gone! ;)

Ten minnow??
    That's nothing. Could've stayed and caught more then but ten is feck all compared to what I used to take for a days fishing.

Ten minnow??
    That's nothing. Could've stayed and caught more then but ten is feck all compared to what I used to take for a days fishing.

Instead of creating this thread you should have just looked into your tackle bag.

stylie wrote: »
    Instead of creating this thread you should have just looked into your tackle bag.

Why would I do that

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Ten minnow??

To be honest I'd be very careful putting up illegal activity on a public forum....

• Advertisement

viper123 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd be very careful putting up illegal activity on a public forum....

The use of minnow is legal afaik. I may have been wrong about the number I used but there is a certain amount allowed to e taken.
    Can anyone clarify that?

You started a thread "Where's all the minnow gone??"

Then you add how you used to use loads more than ten for a days fishing
    Now multiply the damage you have done times similar anglers to you around the country and then ask yourself ""Where's all the minnow gone??""

Also they are a coarse fish and only 4 coarse fish can be killed per day.

You started a thread "Where's all the minnow gone??"

Then you add how you used to use loads more than ten for a days fishing
    Now multiply the damage you have done times similar anglers to you around the country and then ask yourself ""Where's all the minnow gone??""

Used to use loads. Different now considering how much they breed.
    The only other thing I can think of is that they havint recovered from the damage done on the dodder last year

Used to use loads. Different now considering how much they breed.
    The only other thing I can think of is that they havint recovered from the damage done on the dodder last year

Blaming damage to the dodder is a bit weak when there is an ethos there of taking as many minnow as you wish as bait for trout. Taking mature breeding fish is even more damaging. I think they are excluded from the coarse fish I'll numbers in the legislation however.

Plenty in my local trout streams at the moment but these waters are restricted to fly fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Was out fishing yesterday in two rivers. Both usually have a good head of minnow which I'd use for bait for trout. I didn't see one minnow in either of the rivers.
    Any reason why they're not about?? Both rivers are clean rivers.

Never used minnow but a few guys I know who used to use them have said that they are almost gone off the barrow ,(upper region) and say that dace have depleted the stocks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

This is 100% incorrect (as Srameen noted above), Minnows are specifically excluded from the coarse fish bye laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

i got stopped by fishery officers while getting minnow in a bottle trap few years ago and there was no problem , i was under the impression you can take what you are going to use for the day and no more , they cannot be taken out of the river and used in a different river

dont ask where i got that info from its just what i was told years ago and stuck by it and never had a problem

my local river is full of em now and big ones too i only seen a massive shoal earlier i spooked em while i was wading

popsy09 wrote: »
    i got stopped by fishery officers while getting minnow in a bottle trap few years ago and there was no problem , i was under the impression you can take what you are going to use for the day and no more , they cannot be taken out of the river and used in a different river

dont ask where i got that info from its just what i was told years ago and stuck by it and never had a problem

my local river is full of em now and big ones too i only seen a massive shoal earlier i spooked em while i was wading

I am not aware of any legislation that would prohibit use of minnow in another river.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Where's the minnow gone?

Far, far away.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Where's the minnow gone?

Far, far away.

Hilarious. :rolleyes:

They are not far way at all. Loads of them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Bio Mech wrote: »
    I am not aware of any legislation that would prohibit use of minnow in another river.

Suppose I didnt describe that as well as I could

You can't take minnow from one river and use them in a seperate river

As in taking 20 minnow from the river suir bringing them home and freezing them and go to the river lee and use them

Again I can't remember who told me that but it's what I always understood the law to be

As in taking 20 minnow from the river suir bringing them home and freezing them and go to the river lee and use them

Again I can't remember who told me that but it's what I always understood the law to be

No I got you, that's what I understood from your post. I still don't know of any legislation that would prevent using dead minnow from one river in another river. Unless its a local bye law.

I thought that was only to do with live bait hence why live baiting is illegal

Hilarious. :rolleyes:

They are not far way at all. Loads of them here.

You don't get jokes do you?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You don't get jokes do you?

Oh I got it all right but it is neither funny nor of help to the OP.

Oh I got it all right but it is neither funny nor of help to the OP.

Jokes aren't meant to be helpful, but you're one of those people so we'll leave it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

The broadmedow water in swords used to be full of them...havnt seen one there in years.

Advertisement