Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feeling annoyed..

Options
  • 28-06-2014 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Went to a place last night round 8 o clock to do a it of fishing... when i got there, there was 10 r 12 lads fishing so i walked over to the other side.. As i was setting up i noticed them all gather round as one of them caught a nice jack pike of about 4 or 5 pound.. they left the pike on the footpath and startin takin pictures of it. Then one of them picked it up and his mate kicked it out off his hand and when it landed on the ground another one booted it into the water to which it went belly up in the water n jus float about a foot from the bank. I was ****in fuming i felt like sayin something but didnt fancy gettin my head kicked in.. decided to jus take my gear n go home.. what can u do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Seen kid doing this before and gave him an earful. Not much you can do about it at risk for your own safety.
    One or two of em now I'd go over but a few teens can gang up fairly quick.
    Any wonder there's fcuk all fish left in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

ye they were only 15 or 16 half of them were drinkin too... not much u can do without gettin bashed

ye they were only 15 or 16 half of them were drinkin too... not much u can do without gettin bashed

Reporting it won't do any good either. Fisheries board won't do anything and the Garda wouldn't be bothered about a fish getting kicked.
    Sometimes a stern voice can deter little cnuts like that.
    Was a group of lads on the dodder last year who were catching tiny trout and throwing them high in the air into water and laughing. I let a roar at them and pretended t e on the phone and they disappeared

i dont think a stern voice would have worked in this case to be honest maybe be if they werent drinkin and i was on my own, i think they all jus get the train from town because theres a train station across the canal... **** all ya can do really, **** like that must have ruined the canals in there own areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

I know about naming places on the forum but wanted to ask was it on one of the canals. It sounds like maynooth train station.

above post wasnt there while writing this. I stay clear of that spot not my cup of tea at all.

• Advertisement

yes it was

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

I was a bit further down closer to kilcock last nite. Only caught 2 perch and my little fella got a jack as far as the bank and lost it so wasnt the greatest night for fishing but what a relaxing place that other spot be two hectic for me.

was up that way last week.. got a follow in from a tiny jack but whipped my spinner outta the water didnt want to hook it... only over in the harbour there a few times and ur right heres too much goin on there a lot of the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I was actually pleasantly surprised when I started back fishing this year after a few years off for no apparent reason. Jan to April I was catching fish on decent enough size in the canal around all my old favourite spots in Kildare. Part of why I had given up on fishing was down to the fact that I had lost hope there was any fish left at all with the amount I was seeing being killed while walking the banks.

Then came May and the weather. What class of f**king rednecks are we in this country that we turn into raging testosterone fueled morons when a bit of sun hits. Suddenly the canal is swarmed with tw*ts swimming (there's easier ways to commit suicide) and every pleb in the country suddenly has a fishing rod. Lighting campfires, leaving all rubbish behind, drinking, making as much noise as possible and essentially wearing day glo clothes. Throw yourself in with a treble hook, maybe old Essox can take an interest.

And they'll fish wherever they like. Sitting on the bank of the canal last week I spot two hardshaws spinning their way up along the far bank, back packs on and no sign they were fishing just for sport I have to say. Both using huge pike plugs. One hooks a tiny Perch, shakes it off the plug over the water rather than taking it off by hand. Then they get to me. Probably worked out I'd groundbaited. Started spinning either side of my float, laughing. I let a roar, ignored. They continue in. An hour later they come back down, do the same.

Sorry for the rant, but I know nothing can be done but this. Vent, rant, shut up shop because these scum will always be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

niallon wrote: »
    I was actually pleasantly surprised when I started back fishing this year after a few years off for no apparent reason. Jan to April I was catching fish on decent enough size in the canal around all my old favourite spots in Kildare. Part of why I had given up on fishing was down to the fact that I had lost hope there was any fish left at all with the amount I was seeing being killed while walking the banks.

Then came May and the weather. What class of f**king rednecks are we in this country that we turn into raging testosterone fueled morons when a bit of sun hits. Suddenly the canal is swarmed with tw*ts swimming (there's easier ways to commit suicide) and every pleb in the country suddenly has a fishing rod. Lighting campfires, leaving all rubbish behind, drinking, making as much noise as possible and essentially wearing day glo clothes. Throw yourself in with a treble hook, maybe old Essox can take an interest.

And they'll fish wherever they like. Sitting on the bank of the canal last week I spot two hardshaws spinning their way up along the far bank, back packs on and no sign they were fishing just for sport I have to say. Both using huge pike plugs. One hooks a tiny Perch, shakes it off the plug over the water rather than taking it off by hand. Then they get to me. Probably worked out I'd groundbaited. Started spinning either side of my float, laughing. I let a roar, ignored. They continue in. An hour later they come back down, do the same.

Sorry for the rant, but I know nothing can be done but this. Vent, rant, shut up shop because these scum will always be around.

it is actually an offence under Section 287 of the 1959 Fisheries Consolidation act to obstruct a person lawfully fishing or going to or returning from fishing but I have never heard of it exercised and don't know if it would constitute a court appearance or on the spot fine. I suspect the former depending on the levels of intimidation. Also, how would you prove that an "obstruction" was actually carried out save from an actual physical act of restraint etc? Idiots like that would just claim relative ignorance of fishing etiquette through inexperience,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

A good slapping sort them little kunts out.

Flysfisher wrote: »
    A good slapping sort them little kunts out.

Against a group of teen lads?? Be doing well even if your bigger. They've the numbers and they'll always go too far with it.
    Not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Against a group of teen lads?? Be doing well even if your bigger. They've the numbers and they'll always go too far with it.
    Not worth it

a few years ago down in carlow a couple of middle aged fishermen got battered by teens. they were fishing that small river in the middle of the town.

a few years ago down in carlow a couple of middle aged fishermen got battered by teens. they were fishing that small river in the middle of the town.

This is what I'm talking about.
    I'm only 25 but fcuk if I'm gonna give a few drunk teens abuse about kicking a fish. I value my health a lot more than a pikes life.
    All can be done is either just let a roar at them or call Garda and mention them drinking and being a nuisance to the public that's walking the canal or something

you'd wanna be very brave or very stupid to say something... i was down the liffey yesterday and the state of the place after some people were down there, a big plastic bag ful of polish beer and empty bags of maggots and ground bait was jus ****ed into a ditch beside the river, and a couple of feet up from that was a disposable bbq jus left on the ground with what looked like roach fish scales all around the ground, they must have been hungry!!im only back fishing the last few weeks and its really dishearting to see this behavior when you want to go fishing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

you'd wanna be very brave or very stupid to say something... i was down the liffey yesterday and the state of the place after some people were down there, a big plastic bag ful of polish beer and empty bags of maggots and ground bait was jus ****ed into a ditch beside the river, and a couple of feet up from that was a disposable bbq jus left on the ground with what looked like roach fish scales all around the ground, they must have been hungry!!im only back fishing the last few weeks and its really dishearting to see this behavior when you want to go fishing!!
    It gives other fishermen a bad name too and it's only a minority who litter. The river I fish a certain spot is covered in litter. It's in such beautiful place and those prickks make a mess. I cleaned it up myself. Threw all there crap in my bag. Puts a downer on the fishing straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Try to go where others don't would be my advice. Find out the most popular places and go anywhere but there. That would be my tip gleaned over 30 years of fishing.

Reporting it won't do any good either. Fisheries board won't do anything and the Garda wouldn't be bothered about a fish getting kicked.
    Sometimes a stern voice can deter little cnuts like that.
    Was a group of lads on the dodder last year who were catching tiny trout and throwing them high in the air into water and laughing. I let a roar at them and pretended t e on the phone and they disappeared

The Gardaí will respond at that spot if the lads were drinking etc. I used to fish there a lot and probably called the guards 3 or 4 times. They responded every single time. Its a public and family orientated spot so they will come there, not everywhere of course but they will respond in the spot mentioned below.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Try to go where others don't would be my advice. Find out the most popular places and go anywhere but there. That would be my tip gleaned over 30 years of fishing.

ye was thinking that myself.. but the spot is only 5 mins from my house, so its grand for an hour or two.. have to find a better spot i suppose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Best thing to do is find somewhere quieter thats harder to get into.
    Scumbags and FN's wont work too hard for their roach dinner.

They always go for the easy spots.

• Advertisement

Best thing to do is find somewhere quieter thats harder to get into.
    Scumbags and FN's wont work too hard for their roach dinner.

They always go for the easy spots.

Its true that. When I used to fish the canals around Kildare we used to prebait for tench a lot we had a 200m exclusion zone either side of the bridges and parking spots etc that we wouldn't bait up in. The people we wanted to avoid would only fish close to the brides, train stations, parking spots etc and they wouldn't walk any further than that!

Set up between the bridges and you would usually be fine you could even see them in the distance but they wouldn't leave their comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Little scum like that gives most young fishers the bad reputation we have.I'm 23 but to most I look about 18-19
    I constantly have other fishers keeping an eye on me and officials check up on me for permits,beer, and "all them drugs ye young fellas are on!"
    In 1 way I applause the men that do it as it shows something is being done.
    But on the other hand, its f##king annoying having to prove I'm only out for a few honest hours fishing
    And little pr!cks like that go along and add as much prejudice to the rest of us as they want!

Advertisement