Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foal killed in Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Discodog wrote: »
    Why would they be trying to hide the mother?

Bear in mind that the GSPCA can only act if a horse is being subjected to cruelty or neglect.
    The foal’s mother was also injured in the attack and was beaten with sticks. However, the horse has since been moved from the field and GSPCA inspectors do not know it’s location or what condition it is now in. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/baby-foal-beaten-to-death-and-set-alight-by-teenage-gang-30367855.html#sthash.OgVBnAHv.dpuf

I'd still like to receive a clear definition of what cruelty/neglect entails to the GSPCA. To me keeping a horse on a small patch of grass behind a ghost hotel surrounding by broken glass falls within that category. As do most of these cases of horses in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dutchess wrote: »
    I'd still like to receive a clear definition of what cruelty/neglect entails to the GSPCA. To me keeping a horse on a small patch of grass behind a ghost hotel surrounding by broken glass falls within that category. As do most of these cases of horses in the city.

There isn't a clear definition because it depends on lots of variables. The new Act changes things in that one can intervene to prevent cruelty rather than waiting until it's occurred.

All animals must be housed correctly. If the broken glass is on the ground it may pose an injury risk.

If the Mare is the mother then she should be seized as evidence. Unless tissue or DNA was saved from the foal it will be very difficult to prove that it's the parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Is it possible for a member of the public to find out how much progress has been made regarding the foal (OP)? How can we find out what has been done to date in terms of finding the perpetrators? Last I read was the GSPCA had still not lodged a formal complaint with the Gardai. This was a couple of weeks ago now at least.

Is it possible for a member of the public to find out how much progress has been made regarding the foal (OP)? How can we find out what has been done to date in terms of finding the perpetrators? Last I read was the GSPCA had still not lodged a formal complaint with the Gardai. This was a couple of weeks ago now at least.

Just quoting from the reply I got from the Department of Agriculture:

"The incident regarding the burning of a foal was notified to the Galway SPCA who brought it to the
    attention of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine and also referred the matter to An
    Garda Siochana in Galway for investigation. It is not appropriate to comment on the incident itself as
    charges may be brought by the Gardai against the perpetrators."

I'd say getting information about this would be like drawing blood from a stone especially as the perps are minors and therefore will probably be protected.

When speaking with my father in the Netherlands he wondered at how no updates on the prosecution of these people does not cause a great amount of public unrest, to the point that the local authorities would have to respond. I tried to explain that while I feel less safe where I live and try to kick up a fuss about it, it doesn't seem to be the case with other living in the area. It's quite disappointing because I do think it is the case that there is just not enough unrest for the authorities to respond.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

people part of the reason the gspca may be a little slow is because they are dealing with the EGAR case at the moment which from what i read involves their solicitors and gardai. I would say they have a lot on their plate at the moment, not trying to take away or inhibit the good work that has obviously being done by people regarding the issue.

These two things the foal and the ill treatment of the dogs have really painted galway in a negative light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Roquentin wrote: »
    people part of the reason the gspca may be a little slow is because they are dealing with the EGAR case at the moment which from what i read involves their solicitors and gardai. I would say they have a lot on their plate at the moment, not trying to take away or inhibit the good work that has obviously being done by people regarding the issue.

These two things the foal and the ill treatment of the dogs have really painted galway in a negative light.

The EGAR case isn't diminishing the response to horses. They are totally different situations.

Whilst the EGAR case is distressing we should bear in mind that EGAR have rehomed well over a thousand dogs. Something clearly went wrong but it's totally different to beating a foal to death.

Ah the EGAR case, awful business and the way the woman is demonised by people that have never run a rescue for even a day is shameful. Not that I condone what happened but I do think there are psychological issues at the base of this that she needs to have adressed. Also, afaik there was already no love lost between the 2 parties and that makes me wonder if the GSPCA is sinking in more efforts than they normally would (also because it's high profile) and it goes at the expense of other cases. You can tell I am not an overall big fan of them, as I have heard them give some pretty animal unfriendly advice.

But they do seem to be given as the go to party so I work with what I've got. I am highly in favour of a task force with the appropriate resources to deal promptly with most if not all of the cases as well as go by schools and such to do preventative work.

Today I messaged the link to the petition to the Cool to be Kind foundation (http://www.cooltobekind.org.uk/), run by Anhony Head (aka Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and his partner Sarah asking them to share it on their Facebook page. Might not hurt to get some high profile attention going.

Discodog wrote: »
    The EGAR case isn't diminishing the response to horses. They are totally different situations.

Whilst the EGAR case is distressing we should bear in mind that EGAR have rehomed well over a thousand dogs. Something clearly went wrong but it's totally different to beating a foal to death.

i am just inferring that given the gspca is a charity, they may be running on full steam at the moment and finding it hard to pool resources into everything

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

I think it is shocking that there has been no public follow up on the case. The GSPCA stated that it was strictly confidential when they were contacted and said no more. Names had been circulating in the area at the time, but from what I gather they needed witnesses to come forward and make a official statement to the Gardai. Can you see anyone wanting to do this?
    As I mentioned before, there's too much at risk in doing so, and punishment for minors would definitely not be severe enough. It still angers me to think about it.

I think it is shocking that there has been no public follow up on the case. The GSPCA stated that it was strictly confidential when they were contacted and said no more. Names had been circulating in the area at the time, but from what I gather they needed witnesses to come forward and make a official statement to the Gardai. Can you see anyone wanting to do this?
    As I mentioned before, there's too much at risk in doing so, and punishment for minors would definitely not be severe enough. It still angers me to think about it.

yea i agree. and then people take to the streets and rte commission a documentary for a bollix with a hat who wont play three concerts.

It goes to show that people only take notice if there is money involved.

Id still keep up the good work. What you have done is better than it was before. Id still keep up the pressure and once the petitions reach their quota we would have to plan a new course of action

• Advertisement

If it involves reporting children of a family that is threatening to the witness, some sort of protection would be put into place? If someone would have to show their face in court in front of all of them, incurring their wrath, that would be quite the deterrent. I would hope this can be done anonymously.

well whats the latest on this front?

Hi Roquentin

Sorry haven't been on in so long.
    The petition continues to be shared on the facebook page. It has yet to reach 1,000 signatures.

Thankfully there has been very few sightings of horses in the housing estates over the past number of weeks. There has definitely been some sort of change...(There would want to be with the amount of calls that were logged with the council)

Afaik, nothing has been set in stone with the council as of yet. I think its just lucky for them that tenants have stood up to these people, and I believe for that reason they are not bringing the horses in to the areas.
    From what I'm told since, a number of these people pay farmers out the country to keep their horses on their land for them. The whole purpose of owning them I'll never know, be it 'cultural' or not.
    As long as they stay away from the housing estates-cramped back gardens, street corners, our parks etc, we will be ok and these poor horses might actually stand a chance.
    I'm not giving up on the whole issue just yet but I am definitely so relieved after a very stressful start to the summer with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

For two of the last 4 days, I've seen a white foal/pony tied up near enough to the 2nd bus stop on the castlepark road. I don't know just how frequent horse sightings were before, but the odd one is around the suburbs yet.

Hi Roquentin

Sorry haven't been on in so long.
    The petition continues to be shared on the facebook page. It has yet to reach 1,000 signatures.

Thankfully there has been very few sightings of horses in the housing estates over the past number of weeks. There has definitely been some sort of change...(There would want to be with the amount of calls that were logged with the council)

Afaik, nothing has been set in stone with the council as of yet. I think its just lucky for them that tenants have stood up to these people, and I believe for that reason they are not bringing the horses in to the areas.
    From what I'm told since, a number of these people pay farmers out the country to keep their horses on their land for them. The whole purpose of owning them I'll never know, be it 'cultural' or not.
    As long as they stay away from the housing estates-cramped back gardens, street corners, our parks etc, we will be ok and these poor horses might actually stand a chance.
    I'm not giving up on the whole issue just yet but I am definitely so relieved after a very stressful start to the summer with it all.

my uncle used avail of that during the summer. He had acres to spare and so farmers would give us two horses and they would eat the place dry. My uncle used do it for free though

For two of the last 4 days, I've seen a white foal/pony tied up near enough to the 2nd bus stop on the castlepark road. I don't know just how frequent horse sightings were before, but the odd one is around the suburbs yet.

Would that be next to the Ballybane Organic Community Garden?

This white horse was reported at that location at the very beginning of Aug but no word from anyone since. Yes, there is definitely the odd one or two about every now and again. This is still not acceptable of course.
    But yes in comparison to when this thread first started, these horses were in every single green area and on street corners. As I said, I'm not holding my breath..The issue is far from resolved yet.
    The facebook page is still active as a means of support for all residents. In relation to the petition, we will have to wait for an update regarding the next step. Its on 990 signatures as of tonight.

the petition only needs 9 more signatures to reach 1000 mark. bring it on

can i ask. There are less horses now been observed. Where have the horses gone do you know?

From what I hear they are keeping them out the country on farmers land as mentioned in previous post.
    After that I don't know.

• Advertisement

Well, there are 7 horses on a field in Parkmore that has no access to water so that accounts for some horses at least.

I wonder what the upcoming Ballinasloe horse fair will bring. I know Galway Equestrian Centre was robbed this week, which is apparently not atypical in the weeks up to the fair.

Well, there are 7 horses on a field in Parkmore that has no access to water so that accounts for some horses at least.

I wonder what the upcoming Ballinasloe horse fair will bring. I know Galway Equestrian Centre was robbed this week, which is apparently not atypical in the weeks up to the fair.

I had heard about a number of horses in that area a while back alright. So they are still there. Shocking.
    How they get away with the likes of it I don't know. That's private property right?.. I wonder if the owner has granted his permission. You'd think they would be lifted straightaway otherwise. I know they were in full view of passing traffic so the likes of this should not be going unnoticed.

I know a fella who had a horse dropped off and left on his land like that. He's only waiting for them to come back knocking on his door looking for the horse. The cheek.. He has since moved it on and cares for it with his own.

Those are different horses again, I think. These are in the Industrial estate. Well away from main traffic. The land is IDA land, we have told them and they have contracted a pound a few times but they keep coming. They also built high fences at the back but me and a few others are convinces they are lifting the main gate off its hinges (easy with a few lads or a car jack) and coming in that way. Interestingly that same strategy was used to break in to the Galway Equestrian Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I had heard about a number of horses in that area a while back alright. So they are still there. Shocking.

They're in the fields in and around Parkmore & Briarhill for years, there's nothing particularly news about it.

As for the reported lack of water, the lads come around once/twice a day with feed and water for them (i've witnessed this plenty of times with the ones in the fields at the Briarhill junction).
    How they get away with the likes of it I don't know. That's private property right?.. I wonder if the owner has granted his permission. You'd think they would be lifted straightaway otherwise.

I know of several cases where the owners have not given permission and have padlocked gates to fields have been to prevent them from getting in, but they just knock the nearest rock wall to let them in and rebuild them. There have been some cases where gates to private roads have been removed, causing cattle to get loose.

Those are different horses again, I think. These are in the Industrial estate. Well away from main traffic. The land is IDA land, we have told them and they have contracted a pound a few times but they keep coming. They also built high fences at the back but me and a few others are convinces they are lifting the main gate off its hinges (easy with a few lads or a car jack) and coming in that way. Interestingly that same strategy was used to break in to the Galway Equestrian Centre.

Oh yes I remember you mentioned this before. It's terrible. Have the owners of the horses been seen around at any stage at all? The pound should have these horses lifted by now. Money is another thing I know. To be honest they just turn a blind eye as it costs them more to seize. It is an absolute disgrace.

Yes no coincidence there with the Galway Eq Centre break in. These guys know exactly what they're at. They do as please as not many will stand up to them.

This is a different location to the one I mentioned alright. There is some land by the traffic lights just at briarhill there. So if coming from briarhill and facing Dunnes Stores they could be seen.

antoobrien wrote: »
    They're in the fields in and around Parkmore & Briarhill for years, there's nothing particularly news about it.

As for the reported lack of water, the lads come around once/twice a day with feed and water for them (i've witnessed this plenty of times with the ones in the fields at the Briarhill junction).

I know of several cases where the owners have not given permission and have padlocked gates to fields have been to prevent them from getting in, but they just knock the nearest rock wall to let them in and rebuild them. There have been some cases where gates to private roads have been removed, causing cattle to get loose.

Wow, shocking stuff.
    Wouldn't I just love if it was my land. God love them then is all I'd say!

antoobrien wrote: »

True in the case of the ones by the traffic lights at Parkmore/Briarhill. Not so true for the ones I am referring to down the road in Parkmore. Some colleagues and I have taken it upon ourselves to provide the horses here with water when there is no rain. It is even the case that every time the gate is lifted, our buckets also disappear so even our efforts to look after these horses a bit is sabotaged. There were other horses here before and a good few of them died on the land. The skeletons are still all over it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

a good few of them died on the land. The skeletons are still all over it. :(

Animals dying on land and not being removed is a public health issue (attracts rodents, insects etc).

Pictures sent to the tabloids would probably be more effective than any respectable public lobbying.

well just looked at the petition and it has surpassed 1000. whats the story on this front. someone said the area has cleared up which is good to hear

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ban-horses-from-our-residential-areas-in-Galway-City/1472689289636178

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/675/147/288/#sign

• Advertisement

Hi all.

I have not been online in some time. What is the latest with the petition? The facebook page still seems pretty active. There is alot of media coverage this week regarding more neglect in the east side of the city.

Advertisement