Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Question about reading piano musoc

Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭✭ rockerdude15

Don't know if this is in the correct section but I had a question about playing the melody line on piano.
    I've been playing piano for two and a bit years(I could read my 4 years prior to being able to play piano, I knew how to read notes)
    Anyway, my piano teacher always tells me play the melody line with the chords.
    We usually play contemporary stuff and not classical.
    I ament accompanying a singer so is that alright just to play the melody line with the chords all the time?

Comments

• With contemporary stuff, I guess it would be normal enough to play chords only in the left hand but not in classical or jazz. Are you playing block chords only or arpeggiating/ alternating bass notes with rest of chord?

• rhapsody wrote: »
    With contemporary stuff, I guess it would be normal enough to play chords only in the left hand but not in classical or jazz. Are you playing block chords only or arpeggiating/ alternating bass notes with rest of chord?

yeah I play block chords, sometimes I arpeggiate and fill in parts with the bass notes.

• well depending on the song, you could maybe develop things a little- I mean generally the accompaniment is based around chords, but there's alot more embellishment you can include. I wouldn't expect just a single melody line in your right hand. Have you talked to your teacher about it?

Advertisement