Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon fishing

Options
  • 09-06-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a salmon licence (Saterday or Sunday because of my birthday)I live in Tuam, I have fished for brown trout for 6 years now, and i'd like to get interested in salmon fly fishing, Now i Don't really know if there's Salmon in the Clare river, Would anyone know any spots or rivers i could fish? , I'm only in my teens, I'll be fishing in Small-ish rivers, I have an 6 weight Airflo rod Its pretty Heavy, Whats your thought on the rod, Also About Flies what are the best catching, tippet would 11lb or 12lb would it do, would you use Nylon, or Fluorocarbon (I have a floating line will that do) I'm also wondering about fishing on the more Famous rivers That are better for salmon, If i have a licence can i fish any where with the licence or is there a Day ticket i have to pay(how much do they normally cost??), Where would salmon be most likely be lying, do they jump much? If you guys have any tips for me, I'd really appreciate it

thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a salmon licence (Saterday or Sunday because of my birthday)I live in Tuam, I have fished for brown trout for 6 years now, and i'd like to get interested in salmon fly fishing, Now i Don't really know if there's Salmon in the Clare river, Would anyone know any spots or rivers i could fish? , I'm only in my teens, I'll be fishing in Small-ish rivers, I have an 6 weight Airflo rod Its pretty Heavy, Whats your thought on the rod, Also About Flies what are the best catching, tippet would 11lb or 12lb would it do, would you use Nylon, or Fluorocarbon (I have a floating line will that do) I'm also wondering about fishing on the more Famous rivers That are better for salmon, If i have a licence can i fish any where with the licence or is there a Day ticket i have to pay(how much do they normally cost??), Where would salmon be most likely be lying, do they jump much? If you guys have any tips for me, I'd really appreciate it

thanks a mill

Huge amount of questions there.
    Yes there is salmon in the Clare river, salmon in most rivers discharging into the corrib.
    Your 6 weight rod will be ok for grilse in smaller rivers.
    Don't get too many fly patterns a cascade and a few shrimp patterns are plenty, but do get sizes 14 to 10.
    10-12 tippet is fine.
    Floating line is fine in summer, most of the time.
    Day ticket or permit required for nearly all decent salmon fisheries, loads of info on web.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Thanks for the reply, would you recommend me getting a switch switch fly rod or a double handed one, how many tags do you get with the salmon licence, What are they best conditions for salmon, does the river condition (flooded or low) matter?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

A 6wt is very light, I had a 5lb'er on a Sage One 7wt last month and it lacked the power to bully the fish early in the fight. I wouldnt jump into fly fishing for Salmon straight way, you must have some spinning rods/reels so spinning and worming would be an cheaper conversion. Spend the remaining season learning Salmon fishing and over winter pick up fly gear in the sales for a full on assault next year.

River condition do matter of course, as a rule good trout conditions will equal good Salmon conditions.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, Yes i was thinking it would be a bit light, One of my freinds has one of these (Its an Airflo Airtec switch nan-tec fly rod ) What do you think Also its in a #7 weight

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

When do salmon start running up most rivers can any tell me ? Whens best time?

• Advertisement

I think its now they start running (not sure lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Seller159 wrote: »
    When do salmon start running up most rivers can any tell me ? Whens best time?

it depends on the river. my local river there is a big run towards the end of the season august September usually. sea trout in mid july

Just got my salmon licence!! Went salmon fishing Didn't get anything! Anyone know where theres any salmon river near athlone?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi,

Any know of the river erriff or the bunowen river? i was thinking of going to either rivers (in few weeks) anyone have any tips, Also flies can someone list a few of the best salmon flies??Also i got a heavier fly rod a #7 weight!

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Links to both on that site I gave you the link to -
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/salmon/west/erriff.htm

Hi,

Yes i looking at the site at the different waters and that just wondering if someone of here fished the rivers recently

thanks.

Advertisement