Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt penalty/late fee (old)

Options
  • 30-05-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

HI there,
    I'm hoping someone can help me. I am due to go to vrt next week with my car to switch it on to irish plates. The vrt due is 1450 euro. However I went over the 30 day period and know I will know owe some more money on late fees etc. The car entered the state in march which means I should have cleared it in in April. I will owe approx two months in late fees. My question is does anyone know what rate the fee is calculated at? Also is it based on vrt due or omsp? I have Googled all day and am stressed to the max about this. If someone could just give me an idea or a guide I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 af12

af12 wrote: »
    HI there,
    I'm hoping someone can help me. I am due to go to vrt next week with my car to switch it on to irish plates. The vrt due is 1450 euro. However I went over the 30 day period and know I will know owe some more money on late fees etc. The car entered the state in march which means I should have cleared it in in April. I will owe approx two months in late fees. My question is does anyone know what rate the fee is calculated at? Also is it based on vrt due or omsp? I have Googled all day and am stressed to the max about this. If someone could just give me an idea or a guide I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    meant to say car is worth approx 10,300 according to revenue calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Carlo11

Ouch af12. My fine was 0.15% per day of the VRT amount, cumulatively. My VRT price was around €11K so the fine was around €950 or thereabouts. Can't remember the exact amounts.

I had a good reason for paying late and so was able to get my fine refunded after I had paid. Good luck with it.

Out of interest what did you bring in?

Carlo11 wrote: »
    Ouch af12. My fine was 0.15% per day of the VRT amount, cumulatively. My VRT price was around €11K so the fine was around €950 or thereabouts. Can't remember the exact amounts.

I had a good reason for paying late and so was able to get my fine refunded after I had paid. Good luck with it.

HI thanks for reply. I am trying to calculate what the penalty will be but I keep getting different answers. Aagghhhhhh!! So 0.15% pee day would be around 2 euro..am I right? Then I calculate it again an it comes up as 20 per day! !

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭robo10

I have often went over the 30 days when paying vrt i never got charged extra . I wouldn't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Drive up to Newry, take a date stamped photo of the car up there, drive back. You now have a newer date car entered state, problem solved.

On another note your insurance company provides a list of all non Irish plate cars it insures after 42 days to Revenue so I would act soon or it will be seized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could you not just tell them you bought it in the North and didn't take it into the country till last week?

mickdw wrote: »
    Could you not just tell them you bought it in the North and didn't take it into the country till last week?

HI mick the certificate of import has a date of acquisition and it says 10th March. If I was to get an invoice stating car was delivered last week would that not raise suspicion? Sorry For All The Silly Question Im Such A Mess Trying To Figure Out All Of This! !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Cheap trip to Wales and a separate booking for the return trip.

Then show revenue the date the car entered the state

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Late fee works out around 2e per day so 60 days is around 120e

Hi lomb if it's 120 euro for late fee I don't mind paying that .But when I calculate it I get around 1200 in late fees? Which I honestly do not have😠😠. Would the trip to Wales work? I'm usually by the book and panicky when it comes to this stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Simple maths...

€10,300 = 100%
    €103 = 1%
    €10.3 = .1%
    €15.45 = .15%

€15.45 per day, since the 10th march + 30 days allowed for VRT = 53 days until today = €818.85

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Is it not a percentage of the vrt owed (€1450), and not the value of the car?

Hi challenge master! This is what I'm confused about.. have read online fee is based on vrt.not omsp. Then I read it is based on omsp. Have to say I find the vrt staff so unhelpful. One woman shrugged her shoulders at me and said she had no idea what the fee was! If she doesn't know how in God's name are we supposed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

hi5 wrote: »
    Is it not a percentage of the vrt owed (€1450), and not the value of the car?

In that case.

€1450 = 100%
    €14.50 = 1%
    €1.45 = .1%
    €2.18 = .15%

€2.18 * 53 = €115.54

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I just panicked yesterday and thought the penalty was going to cost thousands! I don't mind paying a few hundred as it is 8 weeks over the 30 day period.. I just thought i was doing the maths wrong as 200 seemed low.. not that I'm complaining! I have heard of people paying 2/3 grand extra because they were late.. Thanks again for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Hi, I too need to appeal the vrt i paid on my car as i got a penalty charge for going over 30 days which was not my fault. Can you tell how you went about this and how long it took to get a refund. Thanks.

I wrote quite a well detailed and clear letter to them telling them why I felt they were wrong to fine me. I got notification within 3 weeks or so telling me I was going to get a refund and in fairness it arrived within a week or two afterwards. If you would like to see what I wrote in order to get the refund please let me know and I can email it to you.

Good luck with it.

I wrote quite a well detailed and clear letter to them telling them why I felt they were wrong to fine me. I got notification within 3 weeks or so telling me I was going to get a refund and in fairness it arrived within a week or two afterwards. If you would like to see what I wrote in order to get the refund please let me know and I can email it to you.

Good luck with it.
    HI there. In the end I didn't have to pay a penalty. I was lucky!! I got an invoice dated for 30 days before my vrt app so that covered me.. good luck with your appeal.

Good luck with it.
    Yesterday I got my appeal result - I won!
    Should get my money back shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cosher10

im starting to panic the person i bought the car off in the Uk though he had to give log book to DVLA in the Uk to change the name it has taken nearly 6 weeks to process so i am over the 30 day. Im hoping it will be with me soon. My vrt on the car is going to cost around €3600 would anyone know roughly what the late fee will be.

Thanks

• Advertisement

cosher10 wrote: »
    im starting to panic the person i bought the car off in the Uk though he had to give log book to DVLA in the Uk to change the name it has taken nearly 6 weeks to process so i am over the 30 day. Im hoping it will be with me soon. My vrt on the car is going to cost around €3600 would anyone know roughly what the late fee will be.

Thanks
    Did you get sections 1 to 9 of the log book(needed to pay vrt) and get the seller to send away section 10 (for exporting car). My seller gave me sections 9 and 10 and sent away sections 1 to 8 as if I was an English buyer. The dvla would not send me out a new log book or give me the old one so i had to apply for a v561 cert which allowed me to pay the vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 saffdon

Sorry lads,i know this post is nearly a year old but I'm in a similar position (worse really).
    Just wondering how this all eventually worked out for af12?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

see post no. 19... paid nothing

If you'd like I can send you the letter I wrote to revenue in order to show you the type of format which works. Good luck with your case.

"evidence of vehicle storage outside the State where the invoice is dated more than 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration"

Would tax and insurance to my address in the North been sufficient, along with say bank statements - sky bill etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donnaw

Hi, interested to hear how you got on saffdon - I'm in a similar position - I foolishly got the car assessed before the summer couldn't pay it on the day as they could not give me a figure there and then - I proceeded to spend the whole summer up north and went today to pay the VRT bill as quoted before the summer - and have incurred hefty penalties - to the tune of just over €1500 - wtf!! I don't have that cash but it will increase daily until I pay it! I'd take out a loan to pay it if I knew I would get at least some of it back on appeal - what are the chances?

donnaw wrote: »
    Hi, interested to hear how you got on saffdon - I'm in a similar position - I foolishly got the car assessed before the summer couldn't pay it on the day as they could not give me a figure there and then - I proceeded to spend the whole summer up north and went today to pay the VRT bill as quoted before the summer - and have incurred hefty penalties - to the tune of just over €1500 - wtf!! I don't have that cash but it will increase daily until I pay it! I'd take out a loan to pay it if I knew I would get at least some of it back on appeal - what are the chances?

Not good donnaw,
    I decided to bite the bullet and pay the vrt, it should have been 900 or so.
    At the centre, they asked when I brought the car into the country, I told them it had be brought down a month previous and that it was stored at my address in the North since then.
    They said they couldnt accept this and they would have to date entry to when i first entered the state....ie when I first lifted a wage....2010!!
    The fines worked out to 1800!!
    The ladies at the Nct were a bit realistic and sympathetic and said to contact revenue as that was clearly ridiculous. They said that revenue would work out something.
    Between now and 2010 I had not even been in the state for 2 years and have proof - So there are def grounds for challenging but tbh, it was such a farce that I brought the car up home and intend to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

Paid VRT today. Was 3 days late. The penalty is .15% of the Open Market Selling Price not .15% of the VRT. Got quite a nasty shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭chalky_ie

Paid VRT today. Was 3 days late. The penalty is .15% of the Open Market Selling Price not .15% of the VRT. Got quite a nasty shock.

Is this true? Dealer I bought the car off in the UK told me to send the V5C to the DVLA, so I've been waiting a month for a log book that is never going to arrive(DVLA will never send it to the Rep.).

Frantically sent away for a Certificate of Export on Saturday, but that may not arrive for 6 weeks. If the above is true I'll be charged 160 a day! Please tell me there is a daily limit or something, I have the VRT money sitting here, but not a hope i can afford a fine in the thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

conor-w wrote: »
    Is this true? Dealer I bought the car off in the UK told me to send the V5C to the DVLA, so I've been waiting a month for a log book that is never going to arrive(DVLA will never send it to the Rep.).

Frantically sent away for a Certificate of Export on Saturday, but that may not arrive for 6 weeks. If the above is true I'll be charged 160 a day! Please tell me there is a daily limit or something, I have the VRT money sitting here, but not a hope i can afford a fine in the thousands.

You should not have got the logbook registered in your name, dealer is supposed to hand you the V5 and they send the permanent export section of it to Swansea, you bring the V5 to NCT centre and then pay VRT.

Advertisement