Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sea fishing wicklow

Options
  • 25-05-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

hi all,

i will be house sitting in bray for the long weekend and i am looking to do a spot of sea fishing as i am usually a coarse fisher myself. i am not looking for anyones secret spot just a bit of advice on somewhere to pull out a fish or two, as my 5 yr old has a attention span of a gold fish but loves his fishing. i know the area pretty well but never fished there. whether it be bray or greystones pier or maybe kilcoole or newcastle any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

hi all,

i will be house sitting in bray for the long weekend and i am looking to do a spot of sea fishing as i am usually a coarse fisher myself. i am not looking for anyones secret spot just a bit of advice on somewhere to pull out a fish or two, as my 5 yr old has a attention span of a gold fish but loves his fishing. i know the area pretty well but never fished there. whether it be bray or greystones pier or maybe kilcoole or newcastle any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi man,

Im from bray and go to greystones pier fishing quite a lot . Its not to bad of a place to fish will always catch something dog fish, whiting, pollock, cod, flat fish, loads there and some can be decent size. Last week a got a 2 pound cod of back of the pier . I dont often catch big big cod ect but they are there and same for pollock they do be big too.

So if your around that way give it try or evan of the rocks a bit up from harbour and you can get your bait ect in the fishing shop beside the harbour gotcha angling.

Best of luck man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

Sounds good deffinetly give that a go and will be bringing the rain gear looking at the forecast. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Sounds good deffinetly give that a go and will be bringing the rain gear looking at the forecast. thanks

Hold that thought! This is Greystones. no idea who came up with this.
    10343523_759899060700087_8958235884799425895_n.jpg

Hold that thought! This is Greystones. no idea who came up with this.
    10343523_759899060700087_8958235884799425895_n.jpg

That must be fake im out there alot an iv never seen that lol

Yeah its worth a try and defo bring the rain gear you never know lol i always have it in the car. Well best if luck mate

• Advertisement

Afraid not Seller159. here is the actual bylaw. Ref 6.9
    10363863_759899097366750_6534135580723973360_n.jpg

Thats a shame.

Afraid not Seller159. here is the actual bylaw. Ref 6.9
    10363863_759899097366750_6534135580723973360_n.jpg

Thats not correct as i fish there quite a lot along with a good few other people older men ect. They have been fishung there for years an noone has ever said a thing to me or them about not fishing there so has to be a mistake. Evan ask in fishing shop about it.

maybe a new thread needs to be started to get to the bottom of this

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

It looks like a new set of bye-laws

http://www.grainnemcloughlin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Greystones-Bye-Laws-Mach-2014-FINAL-DRAFT.pdf

Perhaps a bit late to sort it out for this year, apparently submissions had to be made to Wicklow County Council by 29th April.

• Advertisement

Thats not correct as i fish there quite a lot along with a good few other people older men ect. They have been fishung there for years an noone has ever said a thing to me or them about not fishing there so has to be a mistake. Evan ask in fishing shop about it.

I'm afraid it is correct and the signs are real.

shame

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

That must be the north pier thats finally been opened to the public.

I wouldn't of minded fishing from that pier myself if there was any fish left from the foreigners, they just take everything... :-(

Your best time to go is 1 hour before sun set.... best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I hope this isn't going to be the start of the introduction of this type of thing to piers across the country :(

Was on greystones harbour yesturday fishing an no problems from anyone.

There is signs saying no fishing but there only on the wall facing into harbour there is no sign for the wall facing out towards sea. So there must be no fishing into and across harbour only so i reckon from rocks or out the way is fine:)

I go there all the time and i wont stop lol :)

I'm afraid it is correct and the signs are real.

Signs are reall alri but only for towards harbour and across it not out the other way there is no signs so it is save to fish for now anyway

How did you get on I will be there this weekend myself. I have ragworms ordered in bray would you say bring mackerel aswell

How did you get on I will be there this weekend myself. I have ragworms ordered in bray would you say bring mackerel aswell

Not too good tbh caught a good bit nothing big but it was low tide so make sure go at hi tide better chance and yes bring mackerel too much better than rag i find or lug worm u can get in greystones tackle shop on saturdays only.

No space on greystones pier last nite so went to bray pier instead. Left after an hour due to the crabs.

No space on greystones pier last nite so went to bray pier instead. Left after an hour due to the crabs.

You should have went of the big rocks at back of harbour and u can also go onto the far side of the harbour theres too

• Advertisement

The far side of the pier was closed since 8. And the rocks looked good but i had a five year old with me. Just drove past earlier and there was five or six rods there

The far side of the pier was closed since 8. And the rocks looked good but i had a five year old with me. Just drove past earlier and there was five or six rods there

Oh really i didnt no they closed it at night thats crap. Yeah it wouldnt be good on the rocks for small lad at night you better of going in day you should get good spot along there or evan bray is ok on the long pier that you cant drive down is decent over the wall.

I got a nice flattie there last week as tide came in

What side where you on im bray?

The left side you can drive up there was 8 or 9 rods on the far side.

Bray pier was my first time sea fishing in ireland. And to be honest it could have been my last with all the problems. The two hook flappers tanglin the mackerel and rags fallin off and dont mention the crabs.
    Im happy to say two doggies from newcastlle beach have assured i will defo go again. And i have to mention the sowing thread from the garage around the corner which wasnt perfect but helped a lot.

The left side you can drive up there was 8 or 9 rods on the far side.

Oh really thats not good there usally just polish ect but do leave after a short time

The far side that u cant drive up is usally best i find .

Did you try anywere else ?

Bray pier was my first time sea fishing in ireland. And to be honest it could have been my last with all the problems. The two hook flappers tanglin the mackerel and rags fallin off and dont mention the crabs.
    Im happy to say two doggies from newcastlle beach have assured i will defo go again. And i have to mention the sowing thread from the garage around the corner which wasnt perfect but helped a lot.

Was it really. Yeah bray isnt the best and there are quite a lot of crabs i must say. But once use to it and the area its fine some decent fish there.

New castle is a good spot depending what ur looking for.

But greystones is probley best around that area always catch there and iv always caught nice size fish u just need to get s spot as does be quite a few people out there.

Was on another site and the reports on greystones pier were brilliant and a lot of different species aswel will have to give it a go.

Was on another site and the reports on greystones pier were brilliant and a lot of different species aswel will have to give it a go.

Which site was that? Yeah had lots diffrent fish to be caught. I always catch something diffrent or weird out there its great :) defo should give it a go

• Advertisement

Advertisement