Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollock, cod, plaice

Options
  • 22-05-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Whens best time to catch a big cod or pollock or plaice and whats best to use?

I was fishing yesturday and caught a nice cod was 1st time caught a big one of this size was around pound and a half 2 pound and wanted to get more info on them as ill be be doing a lot of sea fishing and an sick of all the small whiteing and cod ect want something bigger:)

All help and advice welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ill answer about pollock as that's what i spend a fair bit of time fishing for. Deep water rock marks are best for them with lures. Be prepared to lose gear tho as the big fellas will be down deep in the kelp and thats where you must put your gear.

I use jelly worms on a simple running ledger set up and simple cast as far as possible and sink and draw. Have spare hook lengths tide in advance of your trip as it'll save you cursing yourself when you do snap off in the kelp. A long handled net is also easier and safer when it comes to landing a big fish.

Summer into Autumn is best and while venues vary, an incoming high tide in the evening seems to be most productive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ill answer about pollock as that's what i spend a fair bit of time fishing for. Deep water rock marks are best for them with lures. Be prepared to lose gear tho as the big fellas will be down deep in the kelp and thats where you must put your gear.

I use jelly worms on a simple running ledger set up and simple cast as far as possible and sink and draw. Have spare hook lengths tide in advance of your trip as it'll save you cursing yourself when you do snap off in the kelp. A long handled net is also easier and safer when it comes to landing a big fish.

Summer into Autumn is best and while venues vary, an incoming high tide in the evening seems to be most productive for me.

Thanks very much very helpfull:).

Can ask do you know any good spots along eastcoast?

Also what size hooks is better?

Thanks

Seller159 wrote: »
    Thanks very much very helpfull:).

Can ask do you know any good spots along eastcoast?

Also what size hooks is better?

Thanks

No sorry, my fishing is done in cork and kerry. Do a search on the forum tho, im sure its been asked before.

I use either a size 1 or 1/0. Its just threaded through the head of the worm to allow its swimming action and in any case a big pollock or even bass, wrasse (ive gotten them on the same method) is going to swallow it whole.

No sorry, my fishing is done in cork and kerry. Do a search on the forum tho, im sure its been asked before.

I use either a size 1 or 1/0. Its just threaded through the head of the worm to allow its swimming action and in any case a big pollock or even bass, wrasse (ive gotten them on the same method) is going to swallow it whole.

Oh do you ok then well thanks for everything .

i plan to head out tomorrow after work and give it a try as never have before so should ne good and hopefully get something:)

Seller159 wrote: »
    Oh do you ok then well thanks for everything .

i plan to head out tomorrow after work and give it a try as never have before so should ne good and hopefully get something:)

Let us know how you get on and have the camera with you for the pictures of your catch thread :)

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get on and have the camera with you for the pictures of your catch thread :)

I will do :) thanks again

Advertisement