Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour internet cafe needed in Dublin city

Options
  • 19-05-2014 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Anybody know of a place that has league installed and is open through the night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

There may be an internet cafe somewhere, but not sure of any gaming cafes that are 24 hour.
    There is no real market for it in Dublin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

5 Star Cafe is 24 hrs. They used to have gaming capable PCs a few years ago, not sure of its status now. Are you looking to host a competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

Went in and checked 5 Star for you, still 24 hours and all their PC's are LoL capable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

Landa2 wrote: »
    Went in and checked 5 Star for you, still 24 hours and all their PC's are LoL capable..

Thanks so much mate. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

One thing, was caught in the city for a few hours so i said id go in for a game.. their computers are old.. some reasonably others very.. you want to stay away from the optiplex's they have, was getting 5-15 fps before i asked to be moved to a better PC. the inspiron's were putting out an average of 25fps.. still not great but definitely playable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Landa2 wrote: »
    One thing, was caught in the city for a few hours so i said id go in for a game.. their computers are old.. some reasonably others very.. you want to stay away from the optiplex's they have, was getting 5-15 fps before i asked to be moved to a better PC. the inspiron's were putting out an average of 25fps.. still not great but definitely playable

That cafe is ancient, it was excellent back in the day, did a lot of my WC3 training in there, used to be some serious gamers.

They stopped keeping the machines up to spec though and I know a lot of the core crowd simply left, coupled with the advancement of home broadband.

I think it's a struggle finding a Net cafe that has decent gaming rigs to be honest.

TheDoc wrote: »
    That cafe is ancient, it was excellent back in the day, did a lot of my WC3 training in there, used to be some serious gamers.

They stopped keeping the machines up to spec though and I know a lot of the core crowd simply left, coupled with the advancement of home broadband.

I think it's a struggle finding a Net cafe that has decent gaming rigs to be honest.

The complete opposite over here in Korea.
    It's ALL there is....
    All my students spend their free time in them..
    They are luxurious, with huge gaming chairs, 24" monitors and high spec machines.
    Costs 1k won for 50 mins....which is about....65cent for 50 mins.

500px-Pc-bang-korea-mich.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The complete opposite over here in Korea.
    It's ALL there is....
    All my students spend their free time in them..
    They are luxurious, with huge gaming chairs, 24" monitors and high spec machines.
    Costs 1k won for 50 mins....which is about....65cent for 50 mins.

500px-Pc-bang-korea-mich.jpg

With such incredible broadband infrastructure through I'd imagine its cheap as chips for net cafes to setup. To do it here you need to get a business line to handle the bandwidth, which is sold only by Eircom, and costs a nortical ****ton a month.

Also S.Korea have government grant schemes for technology, nothing of the sort here.

I won't lie if there was cheap, affordable, competant LAN/NET cafes near me, I'd play my games there all the time no problem. I was involved in a netcafe for CS and WC3 back way when and it was incredible fun. Just not viable here though where broadband infrastructure is either terrible or out of this world expensive.

without affordable/reasonably priced broadband and rent pricing from suppliers, LANs and the likes just will never take off here properly. I know the guy who organised WCG qualifiers here and the money it costs was actually outragous. When sponsorship was pulled it instantly collapsed.

Arcadecon last year I was playing in the final, and there was no internet at the location. The guys organising were quoted mad money for a line rental for the day, and obviously being unable to afford it it all looked like a washout. Thankfully Riot stepped in and were able to help at the event providing a location to play from.

It's a pity, nothing beats a LAN environment, but there is just no setup here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I know the interet cafe on liffey st will open through the night be appointment for minimum groups. Other than that, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

How do they make any money in those Korean Cafe's? 65p per hours seems like peanuts given the cost of the machines. Say a machine is occupied for 12 hours per day, that's £7.80. Average cost of a high spec gaming machine is £2k. That's 256 days before the machine has paid for itself. Add to that the power needed to run those machines all day, internet costs, furniture, staff, rent and other normal business overheads then i dont see how the business model works. Machines need to be upgraded and repaired which adds further costs. Unless people are spending lots of money on coffee, confectionery, snacks etc then there is no way its a viable business model! Assuming that a lot of the people who play games in these cafes are students then they don't probably don't have much disposable income to spending on other items whilst in the cafe!

I'd love to open one of these high end cafes in Ireland or the UK but I don't see how I could make money from it. There is literally no LAN Cafes in central London which is a sad state of affairs as i always enjoyed visiting one. There is however an e-sports Bar called Meltdown which is quite fun to go watch the LCS in.

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    How do they make any money in those Korean Cafe's? 65p per hours seems like peanuts given the cost of the machines. Say a machine is occupied for 12 hours per day, that's £7.80. Average cost of a high spec gaming machine is £2k. That's 256 days before the machine has paid for itself. Add to that the power needed to run those machines all day, internet costs, furniture, staff, rent and other normal business overheads then i dont see how the business model works. Machines need to be upgraded and repaired which adds further costs. Unless people are spending lots of money on coffee, confectionery, snacks etc then there is no way its a viable business model! Assuming that a lot of the people who play games in these cafes are students then they don't probably don't have much disposable income to spending on other items whilst in the cafe!

I honestly don't know how they run as a business....not only because of what you mentioned above...but because there are SO MANY of them.
    On my walk home from school...which is about a 15 min walk to my house...I will pass no fewer than 7 of these places (PC Bangs they're called)

As you said, they can get 1-3 hours gaming for the same price as a drink or chocolate bar, so I would assume they'd go without the candy. The only food I seen people eating now and again on the rare occasion I went to one was 'Ramyeon' ...which is basically Pot Noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Playboy wrote: »

I'd love to open one of these high end cafes in Ireland or the UK but I don't see how I could make money from it. There is literally no LAN Cafes in central London which is a sad state of affairs as i always enjoyed visiting one. There is however an e-sports Bar called Meltdown which is quite fun to go watch the LCS in.

Yeah...I doubt the rigs cost even near the 2k point tbh.. I'm guessing they have mid specd gaming rigs in most cafes(mine was a midrange pc when I built it 2 years ago, still plays everything at pretty high settings/frame rate).

There were a couple of cafes up here in newry a few years ago, one was a chain that had 7 or 8 cafes spread across NI called gametheworld. The one in Newry only stayed open for a couple of years but was pretty cool. I remember traveling down to lisburn when I was younger to go their allnighters, great craic. Can't remember how much they charged but was pretty cheap, maybe like a fiver for 3-4 hours or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely if you need to game in the middle of the night you need to take a look at your life, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Check out the LoL sponsorship on top of each machine as well! Maybe they get some nice subs from Riot?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely if you need to game in the middle of the night you need to take a look at your life, no?

Surely if you don't understand gaming, you need to avoid posting in gaming threads, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

LuLuGaming wrote: »
    Mod edit: Shill, post removed.

What's it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely if you need to game in the middle of the night dig up threads nearly 6 months old to add nothing of interest you need to take a look at your life, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nanaxi

went to the christchurch cafe, really good pc, and nice environment...heard they use fibre cable...tks lulu...

Advertisement