Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayfly - Lough Ree

Options
  • 13-05-2014 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Anyone know if the mayfly is up on Ree?. Was thinking of heading down over the next few days.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

they are up but are patchy enough yet.some guys you talk to are getting good fishing and others are not having any luck.its still early id leave it maybe until next week to chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Cheers for the reply and the heads up. Mate is keen to go so we're gonna take our chances on thurs and fri and hope it's picked up by then. Will have to be on the best behaviour at home and try and wangle a second trip in a week or two! I'll let you know if we've any joy! Would it be any good buzzer fishing into the dark or is it too early for all that? Only get out on the lakes once or twice a year and haven't had any joy on the fly as of yet. It's nice and warm anyhow. Hopefully that'll help

the trout were hitting the fly hard today talking to a few guys who had several fish each today not a lot of spent going out yet though but have a feeling with the high coming tomorrow the spent might start properly. let us know how you get on where are ye launching from

bizidea wrote: »
    the trout were hitting the fly hard today talking to a few guys who had several fish each today not a lot of spent going out yet though but have a feeling with the high coming tomorrow the spent might start properly. let us know how you get on where are ye launching from

Nice one, we went out on Thurs from Inny bay. Was very bright so we trolled around for a bit and got a small pike and small trout. Later on we went out to the Black Islands I think it was and we did some drifts. Mate caught a small one on the first drift even though nothing was rising.

We didn't get any more after that. There was fish rising in the calm water alright when it was getting dark but we never got close enough to them. We stayed out into the dark for a bit and they were still rising here and there but we didn't hook any more. Would have like to have got one on the fly but it was a good day out all the same. Defo will be back.

heard others did well alright.

Shudda said, not many spent going out but there were still a few fish rising at dusk anyhow

• Advertisement

would have been nice to get one on d fly alright nothing like it. was out thursday evening as well few fish moving but not a lot, was out friday a few spent going out but nothing on the take i think if the weather settles next week there might be a few good evenings fingers crossed

Hope so. hope to give the spent gnat fishing another bash this year. Either Ree or Arrow. Jesus it's hard though! Think I'm casting grand till it's flat calm like. Hard to get the flies to turn over nicely. The suspence is great though

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

mattcullen wrote: »
    Hope so. hope to give the spent gnat fishing another bash this year. Either Ree or Arrow. Jesus it's hard though! Think I'm casting grand till it's flat calm like. Hard to get the flies to turn over nicely. The suspence is great though

You need to be using at least a 7wt to get those big spent to turn over, I know lads using an 8wt particularly for this purpose of turning over a team of two big dry mays.

They have a huge amount of air resistance and the heavier line will aid in turning them over.

A tapered leader will also help, as will a higher than normal stop in your forward delivery cast, combined with a slight overpowering and pronounced stop in the same forward delivery cast.

(PS I hope your shoulder is better soon and you can get your spey-casting back on track :))

Cheers, shoulder a lot better now so gonna start practicing the spey casting. I was bored stiff of spinning the whole day on the moy.

That’s a shame about the lack of fish showing for your trip but a relief to hear they’re starting to run now.

Cheers for the tips on the tackle for the spent. I’m using a 7 weight and a tapered leader of about 14 ft (a few ft of 15 lb mono, a few of 10, a couple of ft of 6 lb maxima and then a tippet of about 7 or 8 ft of 6 lb fluoro. I was actually was concerned that maybe I would need to change my line for a 6. I was thinking maybe the splash from the heavier line might be a downside. Good to hear the 7 weight is the right job so. I’ll just stick with it. Running out of excuses!

Will be in touch soon

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

Anyone on ree this week or is it all over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Too busy coarse fishing. ..didn't even take the fly rod out

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Caught a nice 3lb on the hatching mayfly yesterday. A lot of spent in the trees by the time I had to be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

Nice trout hope to get out Monday only got out twice for mayfly this year got 1 but didn't seem to be a lot happening either day

Advertisement