Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea bass

Options
  • 12-05-2014 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey everyone,Just wondering what tackle/set up is best for catching sea bass in Ireland??...I caught one beach fishing last summer using a Sandeel but I think it was more luck than anything else.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Three hook trace and a 3 ounce weight is usually enough.

As for baits I find ragworm hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

don't forget there is a ban on targeting/catching Bass from the 15th May to 15th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Anyone have any good spots dublin wicklow area for catching bass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Seller159 wrote: »
    Anyone have any good spots dublin wicklow area for catching bass?

Dun Laoighre west pier I have heard good things about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

syklops wrote: »
    Dun Laoighre west pier I have heard good things about.

Really? Of the the end the pier or where abouts be best do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Depends on what your using like all fish.
    If fishing from the pier then crab and lug or rag will work.
    If spinning then around the rocks will do
    Ps I'm no expert on bass in fact never caught one but I'm just saying what I've read in magazines and internet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Depends on what your using like all fish.
    If fishing from the pier then crab and lug or rag will work.
    If spinning then around the rocks will do
    Ps I'm no expert on bass in fact never caught one but I'm just saying what I've read in magazines and internet

You wont catch many bass from piers or rocks...they prefer estuaries and storm beaches.

And i wouldnt advise spinning from rocks,you'll lose all your gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

chopper6 wrote: »
    You wont catch many bass from piers or rocks...they prefer estuaries and storm beaches.

Is that a wind up?
    I wouldnt be targeting them from piers but wouldnt say they are not caught from them either. I know of 2 piers in Cork that have had bass of over 10lbs landed by lads targeting conger in the last 2 years alone. Theres plenty landed up and down the country too every year by lads with mack feathers.
    And not to fish from rocks? Surface and sub surface lures dont get lost too often. Add in weedless soft plastics and rocky ground can be the best place to catch them.

So everything I've read is wrong?
    Doubt it. I've also seen plenty of shows with like of Henry gilbey and John Wilson using surface lures to catch bass around the rocks. Also fly fishing for the from rocks aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭macscoob

Around rocky places id use peeler crab, beach fishing with a good surf i use black lug,razor or after the ban i will start to use sand eel. I try and use the same bait that in the area. A 12-14foot beach caster with 6foot tripod and 2-3 hook tracer with 4-7oz grip lead depending how rough it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Dont be a lead swinger, get a nice 8ft to 10ft 30,40grm rod (Teklon are my fav btw). A 4000 spinning reel and 20lb bs braid so its very thin. 3-4ft of flurocarbon 10-12lb bs and off you go.
    Sandeel slugs will catch you bass, wave worms are deadly. Get one mackeral looking yuzuri plug either a full on surface popper or 1ft sub surface. Dont forget a few German sprats and Kilty spoons and away you go.

Dont bother with the massive rods lugging them around, digging bait for hrs the day before catching 2lb'ers you barely know youve hooked, fish light fish fast and fish on the move. In the Summer shorts, sandals and wet wading are the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

stylie wrote: »
    Dont be a lead swinger, get a nice 8ft to 10ft 30,40grm rod (Teklon are my fav btw). A 4000 spinning reel and 20lb bs braid so its very thin. 3-4ft of flurocarbon 10-12lb bs and off you go.
    Sandeel slugs will catch you bass, wave worms are deadly. Get one mackeral looking yuzuri plug either a full on surface popper or 1ft sub surface. Dont forget a few German sprats and Kilty spoons and away you go.

Dont bother with the massive rods lugging them around, digging bait for hrs the day before catching 2lb'ers you barely know youve hooked, fish light fish fast and fish on the move. In the Summer shorts, sandals and wet wading are the way to go.

I agree with all that except - if fishing from rocks do not wear sandals. An accident waiting to happen!

I agrees with all that except - if fishing from rocks do not wear sandals. An accident waiting to happen!

Sure sandals are rotten anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

chopper6 wrote: »

If your not losing some gear when spinning for bass your doing it wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Don't forget the closed season for bass starts today, so we can't fish for them until June 16th. That means no targeting bass whatsoever, not just not killing them! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Friendly_User

Ever consider Salt Water Fly Fishing for Bass....It's deadly

Advertisement