Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly fishing practice spots near Galway

Options
  • 12-05-2014 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm currently starting to learn to fly fish, I did a lesson with Spiddal Angling School (they're great btw if anyone needs lessons near Galway), and while I've been practicing casting in my back garden, it'd be nice to move somewhere to cast into water where there's maybe a vague threat of catching a fish, however small.

I'm looking for somewhere near enough to Galway City where I could practice casting from the shore. I was thinking somewhere from the shore on Lough Corrib maybe, or there are a few small bog lakes west of the city that I'd read had some trout. I don't have a car so I'll be reliant on the bike, but I'm happy cycling anything up to 10km from town really.

I suppose the main thing I'm looking for is a) somewhere free, so I can spend long hours/days practicing without spending a fortune and b) something fairly quiet, so I can make an eejit of myself without anyone really noticing. :D

If god forbid I were to catch anything I'd be releasing it.

Okay, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi,

I Know this might not suit you but up in Oughterard there's a fishery (Now its small And great for beginners And there's alot of fish in there I think its 20 euro For a full day + I think 1 or 2 Rainbow trout to keep!)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

Head to the beach or the rocks. Make sure you rinse down the gear afterwards and make sure it doesnt get a dunking in the salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭emcor

Dangan - down from NUIG athletics track .

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

If you're free any day this week you can come out with me for a day on the Corrib. If you can get as far as Galway city I can collect you from there. Send a PM if you're interested..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

Hi everyone, thanks for the very kind responses.

On Oughterard, I've seen the place before but had forgot about it, will definitely try to get out there for a day or two during the summer, looks like a great practice spot.

Had thought of giving the sea a go alright, will probably do so on a calm day somewhere quiet.

emcor — had thought of Dangan alright yeah, but seeing as I had never really seen anyone fishing down there, I half wondered if maybe the college prohibited it or something, but I guess not, there aren't any signs up. I also half-wondered if anyone controlled the fishing here, but I guess not? ...I'm thinking this might be the handiest place to go for regular practice sessions

viper — that's very kind of you, will PM

thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Please do not take your good gear to the sea. Rinsing off will not not be sufficient.
    The wind is always different at the sea as well.

Advertisement