Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend me some bands/Artists

• 06-05-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Anyone got any suggestions of up and coming country artists that have a kind of Steve Earle sound? I've been a garth brooks fan as long as I can remember but I've only recently starting to get into real country music.
    Ta.

(Great forum idea btw)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Jamey Johnson. I'd recommend the first song of his you listen to is "Between Jennings And Jones".

Also, if you're only getting into Country perhaps go back and listen to some of the legends? Johnny Cash, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Hank Williams Junior has some decent songs, Conway Twitty.

Jeff Bridges even has a couple of albums out with some good songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,828 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

Steve Earle's son Justin Townes Earle is pretty good and also a bit different from his dad but has a country vibe. Also Jason Isbell new album Southeastern is amazing it's considered alternative country. Try Gram Parsons and Ryan Adams as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

You have to listen to George Strait. Loads up on youtube. You'll love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Keith Urban has some good hits & would get my vote. Not the best of days gone by, but certainly holding his own and overdue a new hit (imo) :)

kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I don't even know if you'd consider these country, I tend to struggle when trying to put certain artists into a genre, but there's no harm suggesting.

Try out some William Elliott Whitmore, The Devil Makes Three, Willy Tea Taylor, The Good Luck Thrift Store Outfit, The Steeldrivers.

If there's anything there you like, and there's plenty of it on YouTube, I would be happy to suggest more.

I think these may be more Bluegrass/Folk/Country amalgamations, but maybe there's something you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Zac Brown Band have some great songs out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

Hank Williams III. His style of country is a bit more aggressive and lot of songs deal with traditional 'outlaw' country themes. Seen him a few years ago in Dublin. Excellent live performer and great value for money; 20euro for nearly four hours! Although he may not be everyone's taste. I would recommend listening to 'Country Heroes', 'Straight to Hell', and 'Mississippi Mud' to get insight into his style!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Can't believe that Keith Whitley hasn't been mentioned yet. An absolute wasted talent

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Nub5gWCKY

Would have to add Alan Jackson, Dwight yokeham, and Conway twitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Casey Black (son of Charlie Black who wrote a bunch of country hits for other folks) is brilliant, country and folk sound. Born and bred in Nashville so where would he leave it :) Great stuff though and if you like him, definitely check him out in one of his upcoming solo shows in Ireland, or supporting Mick Flannery on his tour this month.

I second Justin Townes Earle, saw him live last year (or the year before) in Whelan's and he was great.

Gretchen Peters is wonderful too, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Hard to beat Alan Jackson and Randy Travis

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭doggiedee

All you really need is the one and only Jerry Reed, absolute legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Stonyhole

Check out Lucinda Williams absolutely brilliant, and if you want Super High Octane Country - Jason and the Scorchers - sort of Johnny Cash meets the Sex Pistols! Thet started a craze in the 80's called Cow Punk, and they are still blastin! There's some great youtube vids White Lies being one of them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have listened to most off the country artists from a young age (nearly 40 now) and the older ones always stuck out for me. Especially Marty Robbins, George Jones, Glen Campbell, and Jim Reeves. Also some hits form Roy Orbison and the likes.

Some of the other ones would include Garth Brooks, Mark Chestnut, Dwight Yoakam, Randy Travis, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill, and Aaron Neville.

Some of the "newer" ones would be Rascal Flatts, Lady antebellum, Darius Rucker, Gloriana, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Cass wrote: »
    Have listened to most off the country artists from a young age (nearly 40 now) and the older ones always stuck out for me. Especially Marty Robbins, George Jones, Glen Campbell, and Jim Reeves. Also some hits form Roy Orbison and the likes.

Some of the other ones would include Garth Brooks, Mark Chestnut, Dwight Yoakam, Randy Travis, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill, and Aaron Neville.

Some of the "newer" ones would be Rascal Flatts, Lady antebellum, Darius Rucker, Gloriana, etc.

Chesnut is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Aenaes wrote: »
    Jamey Johnson. I'd recommend the first song of his you listen to is "Between Jennings And Jones".

Full Color is a great song as is The Dollar.
    He also wrote Give it Away, a big hit for George Strait

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

Townes Van Zandt is great, I'd highly recommend him! Any of his fans on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

MontyChips wrote: »
    Townes Van Zandt is great, I'd highly recommend him! Any of his fans on here?

Yes, only discovered him about 4 years ago though when I went looking for original version of Sean Keane's If I Needed You. Thought I knew a lot about country/folk music then he pops out of nowhere, had never even heard of him....sad end to his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

More modern country

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Boondocks is quite possibly my favourite Little Big Town Song.

http://youtu.be/qdq9PRU9Fu0

More new country.

High Valley. On the Combine.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LeonardNelson

I always love listening to Lady Antebellum songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Porridgemonster

"Smokin' & Drinkin'" on Miranda Lamberts new album "Platinum" is a collaboration with Little Big Town and it's definitely my song of the summer ! The whole album is excellent !

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

That's probably my least favourite song on that album, shockingly! Platinum and Priscilla are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

So glad i found this thread, always been a country music fan but was never much interest in Ireland! Loving all the recomendations, listening to George Strait at the moment!! :)

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - All the roadrunning is a great track that a friend of mine introduced me to!

George Strait, one of the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

Definitely look up Randy Travis, as well as George Strait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Fantastic podcast from Bob Harris this week, it's an acoustic evening with Brad Paisley and his song writers, great music, great stories, and a good insight into how Nashville works. Search for Bob Harris Country in your podcast catcher, but be quick, as it may only be available for another couple of days.

Here's a link to the browser version. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006x527/episodes/player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Red Molly, brilliant 3 piece female Country / Folkie/ Americana group. Theya re currently back home in the states but I saw them live in Ratoath a few weeks ago. This is their latest video. Check them out and let me know what you think.

Advertisement