Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Professional news/discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yeah, the only real comparable things about CoD and Cs are that they're both FPS really. I think though that CoDs competitive scene would've been where it is now much earlier if the developers had worked more towards the PC scene as they did with CoD 2 and CoD 4. Seems like MW2 onwards was widely made with the console gamer in mind and the OC scene began getting less and less interest from the devs. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying though, CoDs wide success with overall sales and mainstream popularity was because of this decision to target consoles more, so it's not all bad. It's just that if they were looking to really get into the competitive scene and make it a great eSport that could be taken more seriously among the other games in the scene, they would've been much better off to have started targeting the PC players again and reintroduce a similar setup to promod. This just would've resulted in the absolute best of the best players of the game representing it. We'd be able to be fully confident that the players we're watching are the absolute pinnacle of CoD players in the world.

I hope they win as well, they deserve it and it'll give them some more steam in progressing altogether and they'll then cause a knock on effect for next years championships so fans will be excited to see if Optic can be beaten and cause some more excitement.

I get ya :) What team(s) are you rooting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Playing on PC would be idiotic. They've nothing to compete with on console and console is where they can drag in millions of casual fans. Sticking with xbox probably wasn't the smartest move either but probably the safe option given they already have a good relationship with Microsoft.

And I doubt they give two ****s about being 'taken more seriously among the other games in the scene'. That idea is where the ego in esports shoots itself in the foot. Everyone thinks their game is the best (and the older the game, oh then it must be better). But the real potential for growth is with people who have never heard of counterstrike/Starcraft and think LoL means laugh out loud. As much as cod is a below average game for competitive conditions, they've made the best decision in sticking with consoles as they quite clearly are the future of esports, in the UK and the US at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There's a decent fantasy game here if anyone's interested - www.cod-fantasy.com

Stream is now live on www.mlg.tv/CallofDuty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I get ya :) What team(s) are you rooting for?

Optic all the way

• Advertisement

Optic all the way

I used to be an Optic fan, but I gave up after the team with Clayster and Proofy split. I'll basically just support whatever team Proof is on.

I used to be an Optic fan, but I gave up after the team with Clayster and Proofy split. I'll basically just support whatever team Proof is on.

The split with proofy was a big thing wasn't it? Hecz and him used to be really close but since then don't talk at all?

The split with proofy was a big thing wasn't it? Hecz and him used to be really close but since then don't talk at all?

Nah Proof didn't take it personally, Hecz and Nade were completely up front about it, nothing to be sore about. Team changes are a big part of COD, Proof knows that better than anyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Just watched my first match of the weekend there, Aware beating nV, a good watch. Pity the EU teams (apart from Aware) didn't show up yet again.

Watching OG vs Denial, massive shock from Denial coming out so strong in the first two games! Clayster's got them scared lol

• Advertisement

Watching OG vs Denial, massive shock from Denial coming out so strong in the first two games! Clayster's got them scared lol

Convincing win too, impressive stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

That was brilliant. Loved seeing Clay finally beat Optic. Optic have a hard losers bracket run now if they want to win. Delighted for Clay. What a beast.

What do they get if they win the losers bracket

What do they get if they win the losers bracket

Winner of losers bracket plays the winner of winners bracket in the grand final. In the grand final the team that win losers bracket have to win 2 best of fives in order to win the championship whereas the winners bracket only have to win one.

So optic are not out of this yet. Unfortunately.

Nation have also been sent to the losers bracket by aware.

DoubleD wrote: »
    Winner of losers bracket plays the winner of winners bracket in the grand final. In the grand final the team that win losers bracket have to win 2 best of fives in order to win the championship whereas the winners bracket only have to win one.

So optic are not out of this yet. Unfortunately.

Nation have also been sent to the losers bracket by aware.

If gaming ended up playing nation and won and got to replay denial in the grand final it'd be amazing. Would never happen though.

This just proves how it's possible for anything to happen on the day and how exciting eSports can be

God damn it Faze Black.

Just home from the pub this second to see Optic Gaming knocked out of Champs on the second day. Absolutely incredible

Optic Gaming finishing a mere top 8 is such an enormous upset. Advanced Warfare is just unbelievable sometimes

Here it is, as it stands. Completely unpredictable

CBObNFqU0AAxbYK.png

Completely up in the air who could win. Maybe Team Revenge could be favourites. Just amazing that a guy like Faccento could be going away with a ring.

Here it is, as it stands. Completely unpredictable

CBObNFqU0AAxbYK.png

Completely up in the air who could win. Maybe Team Revenge could be favourites. Just amazing that a guy like Faccento could be going away with a ring.

Surely Denial are favourites now. They have placed top 2 in the last two events and demolished Optic and beat Tk who were probably a T3 side in this game. I like TR and was impressed by them at regionals but couldnt say they are favourites by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm hoping mindfreaks can go far too, they were great last year as T1.

Clay for mvp too btw

• Advertisement

DoubleD wrote: »
    Surely Denial are favourites now. They have placed top 2 in the last two events and demolished Optic and beat Tk who were probably a T3 side in this game. I like TR and was impressed by them at regionals but couldnt say they are favourites by any stretch of the imagination.

Frankly the way this event is going, I'd pick anyone but the "favourites". Absolute lottery.

Frankly the way this event is going, I'd pick anyone but the "favourites". Absolute lottery.

Ok. But if the bookies were taking odds Denial would be favourites. No doubt about that. Thats where the phrase comes from.

As an aside - no one from the optic lan placed top 6.

Grand final starting now, Denial vs. Team Revenge - mlg.tv/cod

Grand final starting now. Denial vs Team Revenge. Team revenge are after coming from losers bracket so will have to win 2 best of 5's to be crowned champs. Denial just need to win one.

Lets go Clay!

How did Revenge come from the losers bracket? It was Faze Red and Prophecy in the losers bracket final so wouldn't it be Faze Red coming up? Going off of what I see in the tables under the MLG stream in the Winners/Losers tables

How did Revenge come from the losers bracket? It was Faze Red and Prophecy in the losers bracket final so wouldn't it be Faze Red coming up? Going off of what I see in the tables under the MLG stream in the Winners/Losers tables

I think they just haven't updated that table, the team that loses the winner's bracket final plays the last remaining team in the losers bracket in the losers bracket final.

Worth mentioning that Aqua is currently a sub for Envy in pro-league, when the inevitable post-champs roster changes come around.

CBTaP2wVEAAml5A.jpg

GG's Denial :) Great tournament! Up there with the Black Ops 2 Fariko Impact one

Attach is so laid back lol, he just got $100k at like 18 years old and totally kept his cool

• Advertisement

Nadeshot has announced his retirement, a little bit expected. OG are looking for a 4th.

Advertisement