Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying fish for a small lake.

Options
  • 02-05-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can buy fish for a small lake, the lake is about 2acres it's mostly going to be used for duck shooting but I like to put some fish into it, can someone recommend what type of fish to get,
    Anywhere near Wicklow

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

ronn wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can buy fish for a small lake, the lake is about 2acres it's mostly going to be used for duck shooting but I like to put some fish into it, can someone recommend what type of fish to get,
    Anywhere near Wicklow

Thanks
    you can buy rainbow trout from the fish farms near aughrim. i was talking to a guy recently who stocked his own private lake with fish from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

you can buy rainbow trout from the fish farms near aughrim. i was talking to a guy recently who stocked his own private lake with fish from there.

My own private lake!! Now that would be living the dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you anything in this lake that will provide food, shelter, and breeding locations for fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Also as far as I am aware in order to transport fish you are required by the Marine Institute to have them checked by a licensed veterinary professional. If you buy fish from IFI i think they look after this prerequisite. However if you import fish from the North/UK the onus is on you to provide veterinary checks. You may also have to draw up a Fish Health Management Plan for your fishery to include mortalities, biosecurity measures, movements of stock on/off site etc and outbreaks of suspected disease.
    I had to compile one for my local club a number of years ago when we stocked our local fishery with Erne strain browns sourced in Fermanagh.
    My point is that it should not be as simple as digging a hole in the ground and going to your local fish farm and buying trout and pouring them into said hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

ronn wrote: »
    Anywhere near Wicklow

Thanks

Is there any running water leading in or out of this lake cause if there is that's where your fish will go.
    Is there any fish in it already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

TheBody wrote: »
    My own private lake!! Now that would be living the dream!

i know it would be some dream. the guy who owns it isnt even that into fishing. he said the fish were in the lake a month and he had not been down to catch them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

i know it would be some dream. the guy who owns it isnt even that into fishing. he said the fish were in the lake a month and he had not been down to catch them yet.

I'd give them more than a month to settle in and disperse before fishing the pond.

Advertisement