Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth Monitoring tool

Options
  • 29-04-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all,
    what solutions do you have in place, if you do, to monitor your home network.
    I am UPC customer and their home cisco routers do not provide any detail on traffic.

I am looking to see statistics for bandwidth per computer and even per application on my LAN. see who and what is using it.

I am aware of the technical details behind setting it up and why this is not an easy task to achieve.

I am curious what have you been doing out there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a more sophisticated router/firewall might give you this sort of detailed reporting - a Sonicwall or Fortinet box maybe.

If the Cisco supports Netflow or NBar you could setup a server to receive logs from it and use NFSen or Cacti to generate reports and graphs - there are a lot of free network monitoring tools available but they generally require a fair amount of technical knowledge to get up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

loyatemu wrote: »
    a more sophisticated router/firewall might give you this sort of detailed reporting - a Sonicwall or Fortinet box maybe.

If the Cisco supports Netflow or NBar you could setup a server to receive logs from it and use NFSen or Cacti to generate reports and graphs - there are a lot of free network monitoring tools available but they generally require a fair amount of technical knowledge to get up and running.

Thanks,
    I am testing PRTG recently. But I am afraid these Cisco router are very limited, or are designed for vendor, therefore removed some features.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I use the application NetWorx link here to moniotr usage and have it installed on all my computers.

On my Android phone/tablet I just use the built in data usage tool with Wifi usage enabled.

For iOS I have an app which I can't remember the name.

I have Vodafone Fibre and even though it's unlimited I like knowing how much I use and they have a usage tool on their own website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

I use the application NetWorx link here to moniotr usage and have it installed on all my computers.

On my Android phone/tablet I just use the built in data usage tool with Wifi usage enabled.

For iOS I have an app which I can't remember the name.

I have Vodafone Fibre and even though it's unlimited I like knowing how much I use and they have a usage tool on their own website anyway.

Thank you.
    I am familiar with Networx. Its great tool for local pc monitoring.
    This tools look at all NIC traffic. Including LAN traffic, which can be inconclusive in some cases. But all can be setup to exclude LAN traffic.:)

Advertisement