Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 2014 Hugo Awards

Options
  • 20-04-2014 3:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The list has been announced:
    For novels -
    "
    BEST NOVEL (1595 ballots)
    Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
    Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross (Ace / Orbit UK)
    Parasite by Mira Grant (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
    Warbound, Book III of the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia (Baen Books)
    The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (Tor Books)

BEST NOVELLA (847 ballots)
    The Butcher of Khardov by Dan Wells (Privateer Press)
    “The Chaplain's Legacy” by Brad Torgersen (Analog, Jul-Aug 2013)
    “Equoid” by Charles Stross (Tor.com, 09-2013)
    Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne M. Valente (Subterranean Press)
    “Wakulla Springs” by Andy Duncan and Ellen Klages (Tor.com, 10-2013)

BEST NOVELETTE (728 ballots)
    “The Exchange Officers” by Brad Torgersen (Analog, Jan-Feb 2013)
    “The Lady Astronaut of Mars” by Mary Robinette Kowal (maryrobinettekowal.com / Tor.com, 09-2013)
    “Opera Vita Aeterna” by Vox Day (The Last Witchking, Marcher Lord Hinterlands)
    “The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling” by Ted Chiang (Subterranean, Fall 2013)
    “The Waiting Stars” by Aliette de Bodard (The Other Half of the Sky, Candlemark & Gleam)

BEST SHORT STORY (865 ballots)
    “If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love” by Rachel Swirsky (Apex Magazine, Mar-2013)
    “The Ink Readers of Doi Saket” by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Tor.com, 04-2013)
    “Selkie Stories Are for Losers” by Sofia Samatar (Strange Horizons, Jan-2013)
    “The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere” by John Chu (Tor.com, 02-2013)
    " - LonCon link.

What I'm rather surprised at is that the whole of the Wheel of Time series is on the ballot for best novel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Manach wrote: »

" - LonCon link.

Here are links to the short stories (from their official sites)

“The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere” by John Chu (Tor.com, 02-2013).

I you have an eReader and Calibre then you can copy the stories into a word processor, save as an RTF and then use Calibre to convert to EPUB/MOBI.

I checked the legality just in case it broaches Boards charter; from Tor:
    Use of Material From This Site
    This site (including but not limited to software, files, graphics and data found on the site) is the property of and owned by Macmillan or its licensors and is protected by copyright, trademark and other laws of the United States and other countries. You may display and electronically copy, download and print hard copy versions of the material contained on the site for your personal and noncommercial use, provided you do not modify or delete any copyright, trademark or other proprietary notice that appears on the material you copy, download or print. ...

Or you could just read them off the sites of course! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I've seen there be a fair bit of fuss over them this year and how they are organised.
    If you are a full member of worldcon ( it uses a membership model, you don't buy tickets you buy a memebership which covers entry to the convention) then you get to nominate and vote on the Hugos. Full adult memebership is 200 us dollar or 125 pounds sterling.

So it can boil down to knowing enough people who have the money to get a memebership and vote and ballot stuffing has been known to happen by publishing houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

Morag wrote: »
    I've seen there be a fair bit of fuss over them this year and how they are organised.
    If you are a full member of worldcon ( it uses a membership model, you don't buy tickets you buy a memebership which covers entry to the convention) then you get to nominate and vote on the Hugos. Full adult memebership is 200 us dollar or 125 pounds sterling.

So it can boil down to knowing enough people who have the money to get a memebership and vote and ballot stuffing has been known to happen by publishing houses.

You don't need to be a full member, a supporting membership (£25 or $40 at the moment) will give you the right to vote for the Hugos. It also give you every nominated book in e-book format, making it a very good deal if you find enough of them interesting enough to buy anyway.

When you say that ballot stuffing by publishing houses has been known to happen, could you give a specific example? The only one I am familiar with is the Scientologist's attempt to nominate one of L. Ron Hubbard's books in 1987. It was not a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that TOR bought hundreds of Worldcon memberships so they could stuff the ballots and nominate Wheel of Time?

That... is not what Brian Sanderson seems to imply.

• Advertisement

No not that publishing houses bought the membership but have encouraged fans of books who have had no interest in worldcon or the hugos before to do so.

The Tolkien society have done the same with different completions before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As an FYI, the retro-Hugo awards being announced at 8pm.
    http://www.thehugoawards.org/2014/08/retro-hugo-ceremony-tonight/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

2014 Winners.
    The 72nd World Science Fiction Convention, Loncon 3, has announced the 2014 Hugo Award winners. 3587 valid ballots were received and counted in the final ballot.

BEST NOVEL

Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie (Orbit US / Orbit UK)

BEST NOVELLA

“Equoid” by Charles Stross (Tor.com, 09-2013)

BEST NOVELETTE

“The Lady Astronaut of Mars” by Mary Robinette Kowal (maryrobinettekowal.com /
    Tor.com, 09-2013)

BEST SHORT STORY

BEST RELATED WORK

“We Have Always Fought: Challenging the Women, Cattle and Slaves Narrative” by Kameron Hurley (A Dribble of Ink)

BEST GRAPHIC STORY

“Time” by Randall Munroe (xkcd)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, LONG FORM

Gravity written by Alfonso Cuarón & Jonás Cuarón, directed by Alfonso Cuarón (Esperanto Filmoj; Heyday Films;Warner Bros.)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, SHORT FORM

Game of Thrones “The Rains of Castamere” written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, directed by David Nutter (HBO Entertainment in association with Bighead, Littlehead; Television 360; Startling Television and Generator Productions)

Source:http://www.thehugoawards.org/2014/08/2014-hugo-award-winners/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Kindle version of Ancillary Justice is £1.99 on Amazon!

*Yoink*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Dades wrote: »
    The Kindle version of Ancillary Justice is £1.99 on Amazon!

*Yoink*
    Darn, too late. It's back up to $6.61.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'm having a hard time getting into Ancillary Justice....

About 30% in on the Kindle, will i stick with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I gave up on it at about 25%, absolute bilge, worst Hugo winner by a mile and they do let some stinkers slip through unlike the Arthur C Clarke and other awards, all the nominations were terrible this year tbh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

giftgrub wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time getting into Ancillary Justice....

About 30% in on the Kindle, will i stick with it?
    I liked it and the pronoun thing was generally fine. I'll be picking up the sequel but it does definitely seem a divisive novel. Plenty of people, like yourself and Thargor, really didn't like it despite the fact it has actually one more awards than any other sci-fi/fantasy debut ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Made it to 38% and ditched it. Something I rarely do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

reading Parasite now as I enjoyed the newsflesh series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Liked the plot in Newsflesh but the writing was brutal, it really is easy to spot the self-published/viral/fan stuff.

Advertisement