Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone help? Im really stuck with a computer I bought

Options
  • 15-04-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

So I bought a computer off one of those selling pages on FB (I know I know!)

Its the PC part without a monitor -and bear with because as the name suggests I haven't a clue.

I bought it to hook up to my TV, watch movies etc,

When I plugged it in, I found I didn't have the right cables so had to get them. After they were delivered, I then tried to log in, password protected. You have to log in with an username and password. There was a sticker on the side with these details-Admin was the username.

Now It looks like this pc belonged to a company and some things need admin permissions and this password only opens the computer.

Ive tried to contact the seller but no joy. Can I do anything with this PC? Can I reset it so there are no admin permission requests? By turning it on, will the IP be flagged and the company who owns it come looking for it? Can I check if it is stolen goods?

TIA

Techno

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You may be able to clear the local administrator account's password with this: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Or you could download a Live Linux CD, maybe it can boot from USB too

Probably info on the machine, OS version (is there a COA sticker for Windows?) would help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

Obtain a copy of windows 7, wipe the machine and do a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Technophobia

It has windows 7 on it.

It needs loads of updates such as Adobe etc and you cant even do those with our administrator access. Its bloddy frustrating!!

I am torn between getting it working and reporting to the cops. Have I done wrong buying this?

It has windows 7 on it.

It needs loads of updates such as Adobe etc and you cant even do those with our administrator access. Its bloddy frustrating!!

I am torn between getting it working and reporting to the cops. Have I done wrong buying this?
    B_Rabbit wrote: »
    Obtain a copy of windows 7, wipe the machine and do a fresh install.

See above.

The gardai aren't going to do anything about it.

I mean report to the cops not because I was sold a bum pc (because thats the price you pay on a fb selling page) but because if I plug it in and do things on it, wont the companies IT place know someone is using their pc remotely? Wont I get into trouble?

And apologies if that is a stupid Q. I really havent a notion regarding IP addresses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

the easiest thing to do is as suggested before. clean install win 7 or your preferred Operating System.

Simple and very effective

I mean report to the cops not because I was sold a bum pc (because thats the price you pay on a fb selling page) but because if I plug it in and do things on it, wont the companies IT place know someone is using their pc remotely? Wont I get into trouble?

And apologies if that is a stupid Q. I really havent a notion regarding IP addresses etc.

Your IP address is related to your router. The company will not know the pc is in use at all.

Ok,
    I have taken a look online to see how to do the install. I have the product key. But no disc. Does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

As suggested, reinstall windows.

You could try the following...

try turning off UAC. Click the start button and type uac
    click on "change user account control settings"
    select never notify.

Check your account privileges.
    click the start button.
    right click computer and select manage.
    expand local users and groups
    click on groups and select administrators
    check if the admin account is located in this folder. if not try to add the account in.

Ok,
    I have taken a look online to see how to do the install. I have the product key. But no disc. Does that matter?

Download the disk image here:
    http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

and download imgburn here:
    http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=Download

and burn the image to a blank disk.

Then insert the disk and use the product key you have.

• Advertisement

Oh god, burning onto discs? eep!!!

I am ashamed of my lack of knowledge. I will need to go on a course":eek::o:o:o:o:o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I'm guessing you have tried the username 'Administrator' as well as 'Admin' with the password?

If that fails turn off the computer. Turn it on, enter the boot menu (usually by pressing F2 or F11, it's generally on the screen before it loads Windows) and see if you can access it without a password.

If you can get in there without a need for a password you can use the sticky key method by writing Ubuntu to a DVD, booting a Ubuntu Live CD and temporarily renaming the sticky key file to cmd.exe and pressing sticky key 5 times, type 'Explorer' and in you go. This is well documented on YouTube.

There is also the option of using the recovery exploit if that still works?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

install IMGBURN, use the burn image menu, command to burn image at speed 2x to a dvdr disk.
    its probably an iso file .

do not use burn data ,folder ,or burn files command.
    iMgburn is a free program to download.
    get windows 7 32bit ,if pc has less than 3gig ram.

http://www.wikihow.com/Break-the-Admin-Password-in-Windows-7
    do this if you want ,its at your own risk.

This is all way too techy!

I have tried the change user account setting but i need the admin password which doesnt seem to be the one on the sticker.

I will have to get a disc so I would say. And hopefully muddle my way to a clean install!

THE Seller may have forgotten to give you the password.

MAYBE you know some techie who could make a os windows 7 disk for you.look at pc label,
    its its win7 pro ,you,ll need to use a win7 pro dvd to use the licence key no on the pc case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Change admin password or delete the account and create a new admin account http://m.wikihow.com/Hack-Windows

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Just so you know, installing things and opening certain files require you to use administrator privelages. Thats normal on a PC now. Im sure theres nothing wrong with your pc. I would suggest doing a basic PC course or getting a friend to show you around PC's before taking any further action.

If you right click on a program you want to use and say run as administrator it wont show the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Just so you know, installing things and opening certain files require you to use administrator privelages. Thats normal on a PC now. Im sure theres nothing wrong with your pc. I would suggest doing a basic PC course or getting a friend to show you around PC's before taking any further action.

If you right click on a program you want to use and say run as administrator it wont show the warning.

I don't think it's that simple in this case. It sounds like the machine has some group policies enabled which are preventing access. That or the admin account isn't really an admin account.
    I'd put my money on this being a Windows 7 Enterprise machine, and who knows what's been tweaked under the hood. Best bet is definitely a clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Agree with the above,

Fresh install is the best bet.

There could be existing software on it that could be used to track the PC.

Download and run this file:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Info/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder-Portable.shtml

This will give you some info about the system including the version of Windows 7, the product key used, and also the product key of the office software on it.

Record the office and Windows product keys.

Post the version of Windows here, do not post product keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm shocked by the replies here. Honestly, people, did you not spot the OP's username? Did you not read any of his / her posts? He / she will not be able to burn images to disc and do fresh installs...

@Technophobia - bring the PC to your local PC doctor / workshop. Explain your situation and hand over your Windows license key. They should be able to do a complete wipe and re-install of Windows 7 for about €45 - €50, activate it with Microsoft and install the service pack and all security patches and install Anti Virus software.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I'm shocked by the replies here. Honestly, people, did you not spot the OP's username? Did you not read any of his / her posts? He / she will not be able to burn images to disc and do fresh installs...

When there's clear instructions given, and the OP can read, I'm sure they'd get through it.
    unkel wrote: »
    @Technophobia - bring the PC to your local PC doctor / workshop. Explain your situation and hand over your Windows license key. They should be able to do a complete wipe and re-install of Windows 7 for about €45 - €50, activate it with Microsoft and install the service pack and all security patches and install Anti Virus software.

Throwing away €50 for the sake of an hour's work.

IF YOU CAN SEND AN EMAIL,
    you can download, an iso file,
    download imgburn, burn the image to a dvdr disk.
    YOU don,t need to be a tech expert to do this.
    http://www.imgburn.com/

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

go to avast com , download the home user ,free version.
    click,setup ,ok, install avast antivirus.
    buy dvdr disk pack, maplins, pcworld, any pc shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

What's so shocking about the replies we know the op is a technophobe but its safe to assume some simple instructions can be followed.

Look on YouTube for some tutorials on burning CDs / DVDs with image burn. If you are going to fix it yourself you need to use it. If you can't grasp it you will need someone else to do it for you either a Paid professional or a tech savvy friend.

To be honest if you watch a tutorial and can't follow the instrictions it's generally because you are afraid to try something on the computer.

Wow! Lots of replies!

Maki has it alright, its a Windows enterprise PC and the admin access is fairly set in stone there. You cant fart without getting permission.

I can follow instruction. I just wouldn't have the basic things most people would have such as discs. I tried to download the imgburn, it took 58 minutes and wouldn't let me run it without the admin password!

Wow! Lots of replies!

Maki has it alright, its a Windows enterprise PC and the admin access is fairly set in stone there. You cant fart without getting permission.

I can follow instruction. I just wouldn't have the basic things most people would have such as discs. I tried to download the imgburn, it took 58 minutes and wouldn't let me run it without the admin password!

Where are you based?

The product key won't work because you won't be connected to the server of the business.

Oh really? Feck! Im in Cork.

It says on the sticker Windows Vista Buisness
    Lenovo singapore

YOU can download the win 7 iso file ,copy it to a dvd r,
    or a usb drive,
    go to netcafe,
    any good netcafe,

WILL have a few pcs, with imgburn,
    or SIMILAR dvd burning software installed on the pc,
    burn image, dvdr at 2x speed, 15 mins burn time approx,or less.

command prompt, is in start, menu,programs, acessorys.
    dos command prompt.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977640

http://techrena.net/reset-windows-xp-vista-7-password-usb-pen-drive-cd/
    reset win7 password.

you need to burn a cdr,
    or use a usb drive to change the admin password.
    maybe use cd burn program already installed on the pc,

use BURN IMAGE command in the menu,
    or go to a netcafe.

is there ANY cd, dvd burning software installed on the pc you are using .
    Already.

windows usually has software installed,
    put in a blank cdr, dvd r, in the drive
    does it say,
    do you wish to burn a cd?

if you have a license key label on the pc,
    for windows business vista,
    you,ll have to download iso image of vista to do this legally.

or else change the password of the os, as in the link above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Guys,the OP, doesn't know about computers, I'm sure to all of you the instructions are easy but to him they are not . Maybe if any you live near the OP or know some who doses , you put in the contact with OP .

Advertisement