Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenteenassig Stocked Lake Closed Down!!!

Options
  • 08-04-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Heard yesterday that the Glentennassig stocked lake on the dingle peninsula is closed for the year!!!

My uncle from London comes every year to fish this lake....

Anyone hear anything about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Heard yesterday that the Glentennassig stocked lake on the dingle peninsula is closed for the year!!!

My uncle from London comes every year to fish this lake....

Anyone hear anything about this??

I can't remember which other lake I heard the same story for but I believe it's because of lack of funds that some lakes won't be stocked for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

popsy09 wrote: »
    I can't remember which other lake I heard the same story for but I believe it's because of lack of funds that some lakes won't be stocked for the year

I can't understand that some of those lakes were very busy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I can't understand that some of those lakes were very busy..

If you want a business that makes zero money then a stocked fishery is a good one!

Auldloon wrote: »
    If you want a business that makes zero money then a stocked fishery is a good one!

Don't agree if you want a business to thrive done let the IFI take control of it.. That lake has massive potential...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Post deleted

• Advertisement

Auldloon wrote: »
    Post deleted

Just cause i don't agree doesn't mean theres no truth to my opinion... Why not privatise the lakes and leave proper business people deal with them..

There is absolutely no proper marketing done for Glenteenassig lake, even proper signposts have not been replaced.. You couldn't buy day tickets, everything that was done was a disaster...

I was up there twice and i wrote a report about my catches and the fishery board wouldn't have even post the report up on there Facebook page..

The two times i was up there, there was loads of anglers fishing and most of the anglers i was talking to were genuine...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just cause i don't agree doesn't mean theres no truth to my opinion... Why not privatise the lakes and leave proper business people deal with them..

There is absolutely no proper marketing done for Glenteenassig lake, even proper signposts have not been replaced.. You couldn't buy day tickets, everything that was done was a disaster...

I was up there twice and i wrote a report about my catches and the fishery board wouldn't have even post the report up on there Facebook page..

The two times i was up there, there was loads of anglers fishing and most of the anglers i was talking to were genuine...

There's a very good reason why there are so few private stocked fisheries in the country. You make some good points, and it would be great if private interests such as a club were to manage such a fishery. However, they would have to pay for the fish, which is a large annual investment. Then they have to have someone to market the fishery, and pay for those signs you want, and pay someone to keep an eye on the place. They also have to have a local permit outlet which is open all the time, and which would have to get a commission in order to provide the permits. They would also have to pay for public liability insurance.

The fact is that it is very difficult to make these kind of fisheries pay for themselves, especially in rural areas with no large population base nearby and many other fisheries available in the area. But sure, if its so easy, why don't you produce a business plan and apply to do it yourself?

Zzippy wrote: »
    There's a very good reason why there are so few private stocked fisheries in the country. You make some good points, and it would be great if private interests such as a club were to manage such a fishery. However, they would have to pay for the fish, which is a large annual investment. Then they have to have someone to market the fishery, and pay for those signs you want, and pay someone to keep an eye on the place. They also have to have a local permit outlet which is open all the time, and which would have to get a commission in order to provide the permits. They would also have to pay for public liability insurance.

The fact is that it is very difficult to make these kind of fisheries pay for themselves, especially in rural areas with no large population base nearby and many other fisheries available in the area. But sure, if its so easy, why don't you produce a business plan and apply to do it yourself?

I didn't say it was easy, the amount of investment gone into these places and now with them closed, it has been a complete waste of money...

Even if i try'd to do something about it, i would be turned down... i mean the fishery board can't even take on intern's...

I have applied for many jobs with the fishery board and never got a chance and i never will but i won't stop applying...

Honestly on one occasion i have counted at least 15 to 20 cars of anglers fishing the lake... The fishery board spent a fortune on paths around the lake and now is that all wasted?? To me it looks and feels scandalous...

I have a page on Facebook, Dingle Peninsula Fishing, promoting the Dingle Peninsula as a fishing destination and i do all that without getting paid a bob, i get emails and phone calls constantly about fishing in the area and now there is no rainbow trout lake where hundreds of people fished every year...

Do you know Zippy as you are in the know, can people fish there now? Is it completely closed?

I am not trying to start an argument but i have to say how i feel... I know it was said that i always don't agree with threads or comments but i just try and say how i feel, honestly i am being completely non biased...

This is obviously going to be a loss to the area, i do know caravan parks in the area and loads of tourists staying in there parks fishing this lake...

Caravan parks like green acres and the anchor are going to feel this for sure...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I didn't say it was easy, the amount of investment gone into these places and now with them closed, it has been a complete waste of money...

Even if i try'd to do something about it, i would be turned down... i mean the fishery board can't even take on intern's...

I have applied for many jobs with the fishery board and never got a chance and i never will but i won't stop applying...

Honestly on one occasion i have counted at least 15 to 20 cars of anglers fishing the lake... The fishery board spent a fortune on paths around the lake and now is that all wasted?? To me it looks and feels scandalous...

I have a page on Facebook, Dingle Peninsula Fishing, promoting the Dingle Peninsula as a fishing destination and i do all that without getting paid a bob, i get emails and phone calls constantly about fishing in the area and now there is no rainbow trout lake where hundreds of people fished every year...

Do you know Zippy as you are in the know, can people fish there now? Is it completely closed?

I am not trying to start an argument but i have to say how i feel... I know it was said that i always don't agree with threads or comments but i just try and say how i feel, honestly i am being completely non biased...

This is obviously going to be a loss to the area, i do know caravan parks in the area and loads of tourists staying in there parks fishing this lake...

Caravan parks like green acres and the anchor are going to feel this for sure...

I don't know the lake at all Dan so I've no idea. Just pointing out all the costs associated with running a lake like that - as you pointed out the fisheries board don't even have money for staff, so money for stocking fisheries that don't make a profit is a non-runner. On the other hand, while its now closed, I'm sure it has given many hundreds of people a huge amount of pleasure over the years its been open, so that is not a waste of money, and it may be just temporarily closed until funds are available for restocking again, so calling it a waste of money is not really valid. And fair play to you for doing your bit to promote the Dingle peninsula, it's a beautiful area and somewhere I'll be visiting again this year...

Zzippy wrote: »
    I don't know the lake at all Dan so I've no idea. Just pointing out all the costs associated with running a lake like that - as you pointed out the fisheries board don't even have money for staff, so money for stocking fisheries that don't make a profit is a non-runner. On the other hand, while its now closed, I'm sure it has given many hundreds of people a huge amount of pleasure over the years its been open, so that is not a waste of money, and it may be just temporarily closed until funds are available for restocking again, so calling it a waste of money is not really valid. And fair play to you for doing your bit to promote the Dingle peninsula, it's a beautiful area and somewhere I'll be visiting again this year...

I hope its not closed forever because the pathway that was put in is actually unreal...

It should not be left go to wreak and ruin because its such a nice walk around the lake..

Do you know if people can fish these lakes now for browns etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement