Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video game store opening

Options
  • 07-04-2014 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Hey... I was thinking of opening a retro video game store, old video games and consoles, up to PS3 and xbox 360 and as old as NES and Mega Drive, and older! Just wondering would anyone here think there would be an interest for such a store? The shop would buy and sell video games and consoles as well as other accessories and related items... I'd be opening it in wexford town..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Maybe contact a similar store such as https://www.facebook.com/RageDublin/info The Rage , before you commit to something like this.

Most people in this general forum wouldn't be into the retro scene, and I don't think you'll get enough replies to justify opening a store.
    Not sure what the market is like from a retailers POV, considering Xtra Vision sales and so many places closing their game sections....and also the ability to buy online.
    You would probably get better advice from the folks over at the Retro Gaming forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

But best of luck with your new venture if you decide to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 rupert999

they have 3 of these in cork city alone run by non nationals...old nes/snes/megadrive all way up to xbox 360...sorry to burst bubble....their great idea i was brought up all way back from commodore and amstrad and got a rush when i saw them,but my first thought was this is a bit of a tacky store...if you done arcade machines it might come across beter or even added the latest japense arcade versions of tekken or newer ones to play/buy with these games it might work.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

rupert999 wrote: »
    they have 3 of these in cork city alone run by non nationals...old nes/snes/megadrive all way up to xbox 360...sorry to burst bubble....their great idea i was brought up all way back from commodore and amstrad and got a rush when i saw them,but my first thought was this is a bit of a tacky store...if you done arcade machines it might come across beter or even added the latest japense arcade versions of tekken or newer ones to play/buy with these games it might work.....

It'll have a TV and a few consoles hooked up to play games... Just to give people a taste of it.. The R.A.G.E does really well in Dublin so I was thinking if they can get so busy in a large place with people travelling from here to reach the place it would really suit people here... I wouldn't go as far as buying a retail outlet I'd basically rent a place for a few months lease free and then if all goes okay buy more stock and even if nothing sells... eBay is gonna be my best friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 rupert999

were u based?do u visit cork city much?one thing i crave is the latest arcade release and only place i know is Mr magoriums imprium in Connolly street in dublin...i can see were your idea is going..but a fan of old games...dont we have emulators now all over the NEt..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Where will you be based?

This would be incredibly difficult in a small/medium sized town and Dublin City has enough niche stores like this. I've known a few people to set up a retro games store and had to supplement it with something else to keep it afloat.

If I'm honest I don't think it will work.

You said it yourself. Ebay would be your best friend. Why don't you set up a shop on it instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fun and good idea, but financially it's a graveyard area.
    Retro gaming is not as popular and if someone does go for it, most likely you got 2 types of customer: someone who buys an old childhood game for ****s and giggles if it's cheap, or a hardcore collector. There are not many of the last ones around.
    As some people said, there are at least 3 shops in Cork main street that sell stuff like this. Even so most of their stock is fifa 05 - 12 etc. If you find something interesting then the price of the item goes to lialia land. For collector, it's okay, for us average joes - nope.
    The other thing, where do you plan on getting stock? If your answer is Internet, then trust me, those who already collecting stuff like that are watching adverts/eBay / donedeal like Hawks. You will be struggling.
    Opening an arcade, now that's something interesting and under saturated right now. Even non hardcore gamers would love to go and play some arcade games. Just as long as it's not an old crap dumpster. Some modern arcade games would do great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Rage supplements itself sure, it sells music and art and clothes I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

As much as I'd love to see a store like this in Wexford town I think it would really struggle as cloud493 said above the rage is also a record shop and if there wasn't already a record shop in town I'd say go with that idea. Shadowhearths arcade idea could definitely work with modern arcade games too, maybe even a arcade/retrogame store could work. If you open an arcade I will personally throw my money at you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This forum isn't a place for free market research, OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement