Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Bait

Options
  • 05-04-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

What bait is illegal to use? I'm reasonably new to fishing and don't want to use illegal bait. Are any worms or maggots or anything illegal to use in a river? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Worms and maggots are prohibited on some waters.

Here are the general regulations -
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

Your club will also advise you on local rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭KevinEIRE

Worms and maggots are prohibited on some waters.

Here are the general regulations -
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

Your club will also advise you on local rules.
    Ok thanks. I've read over these but couldn't find any information about the river nore. Do you know about the laws on maggots there?

The Nore seems to be OK for worms as it's not listed in the bye law. However, as far as I know, clubs control the fishing so your club will give you the local regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Livebait (live fish) is the only thing I can think of which is illegal. Some things like worms, prawns, maggots etc. are not permitted in certain waters as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Some waters have a ban on those 'powerbaits' you see in some tackle shops. Also salmon paste is illegal, but i haven't seen it in years so possibly it is dying out with an older generation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

what exactly is salmon paste never heard of it

Just what it says. A paste that is made of salmon roe and salmon oil among other things. Placed on a hook and fished. Thank goodness you don't know what it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

and used to fish for salmon didnt think salmon would be cannabalistic

Most predatorial fish are cannibalistic.

Advertisement