Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black foam beetle

Options
  • 04-04-2014 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

I have just been given a couple of small black foam beetle flies from somebody who got them from a friend a few years ago but never used them. They are new to me after almost 60 years fly fishing. Just wondering if anybody has used them for brown trout on a small river and if so how and when. I'm curious to give them a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Used them once when I lost my last sedge (caddis) pattern as the light was fading and the trout hammered the beetle when slightly skated but it had a pretty similar profile to the sedge in the fading light I would imagine. Originally I got them to suspend bigger nymphs from for duo rigs. I might give them a shot on their own some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Never tried them on a river but on Ardaire Springs in Mooncoin they are great, either the trout will come up slow and just swallow or the hit like a train. Let them drift on the ripple with shot pulls, most times when you give them a little short pull that they get hammered. Excellent sport.

Advertisement