Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using braid for spinning

Options
  • 09-03-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

When spinning for salmon do people use braid or mono ??

I'm currently using mono but I am thinking of converting due to the braid having zero memory and won't kink and weaken like the mono , I change my gut every few weeks due to this

I have caught many a fish on the mono but might give the braid a try

Any thoughts ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

popsy09 wrote: »
    When spinning for salmon do people use braid or mono ??

I'm currently using mono but I am thinking of converting due to the braid having zero memory and won't kink and weaken like the mono , I change my gut every few weeks due to this

I have caught many a fish on the mono but might give the braid a try

Any thoughts ??

I recently changed over to braid not for salmon though and its a dream to fish with,you can cast A lot further and feel every little knock on the line,expensive stuff though but durable,its recommended you reverse it on your spool after a while but should last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

beano345 wrote: »
    I recently changed over to braid not for salmon though and its a dream to fish with,you can cast A lot further and feel every little knock on the line,expensive stuff though but durable,its recommended you reverse it on your spool after a while but should last years.

I was told spiderwire was the one to go for , what are you using ?

Seems like it's cheaper from the states on eBay so might make a purchase

I was told spiderwire was the one to go for , what are you using ?

Seems like it's cheaper from the states on eBay so might make a purchase

I'm using Berkeley whiplash crystal was 30 euro I think for 300 yards,it seems far cheaper on Amazon and eBay if you look around you can pick up 300 metres of it for even cheaper especially Japan but you could be waiting a while for it to arrive,I've read spiderwire is great and pro-power braid.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Be careful buying from eBay and even Amazon. A lot of crap braid in fake packaging doing the rounds, imitating the big names like Power-Pro and Spiderwire.

It's one thing I'd advise you buy from a good retailer.

stupid question but does colour matter ? there seems to be red/green/yellow/grey

going to purchase tonight as soon as i can make my mind up ha

anyone find any better value than this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Pro-Braid-Vermilion-Red-30-lb-300-yards-NEW-/350995775847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b8fa8167

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDERWIRE-STEALTH-CAMO-Braid-Fishing-Line-30LB-300YD-SS30C-300-/371018903523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5662732fe3

• Advertisement

Are you using a fluorocarbon or mono leader with it?

Are you using a fluorocarbon or mono leader with it?

I have spools of both so whichever I find works best i suppose

I have spools of both so whichever I find works best i suppose

Might be cheaper to get it here and less the wait and postage and packing charge:

http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&zenid=akcbgnlkkt8lr7hgdekmqs4qu0

As far as colour I'm not to sure I've read some anglers like red and yellows to see were their lure is landing(I got white and its hard to make out) with a fluorocarbon or mono leader as to not spook the fish if they see it, but that seems another debate altogether.

Might be cheaper to get it here and less the wait and postage and packing charge:

http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&zenid=akcbgnlkkt8lr7hgdekmqs4qu0

As far as colour I'm not to sure I've read some anglers like red and yellows to see were their lure is landing(I got white and its hard to make out) with a fluorocarbon or mono leader as to not spook the fish if they see it, but that seems another debate altogether.

Think I want to go for the red ,I'll see if I can find it here if not I'll order the one from eBay

Thanks for help

Think I want to go for the red ,I'll see if I can find it here if not I'll order the one from eBay

Thanks for help

Just as a last tip its recommended to put a piece of masking tape around your spool(when's it empty) to stop the braid slipping and to slightly underfill the spool to avoid wind knots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

I use all braid for lure fishing for pike, perch and trout,deadbaiting for pike and long range feeder fishing

I use from 12lb-70lb stuff best makes are powerpro, Berkley whiplash and sufix

One thing to consider is braid does not cope with rubbing of rocks as well as mono also hook pulls can be a problem if your not carefully and dont have the cluch of your reel set correctly but the benefits out way the negatives

casts farther, possible to fish heavy breaking strain with fine diameter, can use shallower spool reels, lasts longer than mono,no stretch means you can feel if your lure working correctly and not covered in weed or anyting and excellent bite indication when bait fishing

Went for the vermillion red power pro 300yards 24e delivered

That's not a bad price were did you get it? I have another reel I want to fill with braid

That's not a bad price were did you get it? I have another reel I want to fill with braid

That link above there coming from the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I would have suggested power pro alright. A friend was in the states a while back (6 years back!) and bought miles of the stuff in bulk spools. Its still keeping us going.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Be careful buying from eBay and even Amazon. A lot of crap braid in fake packaging doing the rounds, imitating the big names like Power-Pro and Spiderwire.

It's one thing I'd advise you buy from a good retailer.

Just to highlight this point again:

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/info/counterfeit_warning.html

and

The cheapest PowerPro available online is fake.

With regards my purchase from a reputable seller in eBay from America do you think I should email asking if it's genuine ? Paying through paypal at least you have some come back so I'm not too worried

With regards my purchase from a reputable seller in eBay from America do you think I should email asking if it's genuine ? Paying through paypal at least you have some come back so I'm not too worried

In fairness that braid in the video is ridiculously cheap think he said $9!

In fairness that braid in the video is ridiculously cheap think he said $9!

i didnt even watch it :p sure we see what happens , only downfall is 30 days it could take on shipping he says so ill be on the mono awile yet ha ha

i didnt even watch it :p sure we see what happens , only downfall is 30 days it could take on shipping he says so ill be on the mono awile yet ha ha

I'd say its OK If he's a reputable seller I'm waiting on stuff myself on eBay from a reputable seller who was sound to deal with and has consistent great feedback,sent me the tracking number of the shipment and its on the way...happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

If you bought from fishermans source on ebay then your ok. Ive gotten braid off him a few times and its been all good. Usually takes about 8-10 days for delivery. His price for 300yards delivered is usually just a tiny bit more than 130/150 yards in local shops so good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Just to highlight this point again:

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/info/counterfeit_warning.html

and

The cheapest PowerPro available online is fake.

I wouldn't buy any branded products from China on eBay. The black market in China is too common still.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fisherman

I use Powerpro braid in 66lb breaking strain and what Beano345 and Weatherbyfoxer above say is spot on advice for it's use. I can recommend this seller on Ebay, I buy all my braid from him and it's top notch. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390614053680

This arrived this morning quite impressed with it so far the diameter of it with a high breaking strain is impressive

One question when I'm spinning will I just tie the braid to the swifel and run the mono/ flourocarbon off that with the spinner but I would be restricted on the length then

Or is there a knot to tie the braid to the mono /flourocarbon

Thanks as always

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Try either the Albright (or a variation) or the Yucatan.
    I was an Albright fan until I learned the Yuca...a great knot and easy to when you are on the water.
    http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/yucatan-knot/
    http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special/

Advertisement