Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Tay, Waterford

Options
  • 03-03-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I was on the N25 heading out of Lemybrien at the weekend, and I was wondering if anyone was familar with the River Tay, permits etc?

Next time I must stop and have a look at the water levels. Only interested in Fly fishing, C&R.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

I asked on here about it recently and I think its closed to fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Closed, how come, sure it's just a stream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

You will find a lot of streams are closed to fishing, lack of communication on the IFI behalf is a big problem..

I was told be a fishery officer down here in kerry that a lot of rivers on the dingle peninsula are closed even tho there are no signs or info on them been closed...

I find this crazy..

So on this small river I can't do some C&R fly fishing!! But it looks like the river has been maintained, as in there has been work on the banks, so somebody must know something..

Typical Ireland, always a lack of information, god help a tourist trying to get some fly fishing, if a local can't get info, then there's no hope.!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

I have a brother living in Dungarvan who roams the countryside down around there maintaining trees/forests/woods - I'll send him a whisper and see if he has any info.

• Advertisement

Thanks Evac101 :)

Currently the Tay is closed for Salmon fishing - a temporary closure was put in place in 2006 to allow stocks to recover but a number of illegal netting incidents in the intervening time has caused this to be extended into the foreseeable future. I checked with the Clonmel office of Inland Fisheries however and they informed me that the river is closed for salmon fishing only and is open for trout fishing. I couldn't get anything regarding licensing and permits however, in many cases down that way (as a native I speak) the local pubs will be responsible for selling licenses and, if not, will be able to inform you where to obtain them.

Thanks for that.

I've no interest in Salmon fishing but I would like to see what's it like for trout fishing. As i said I practice all catch and release.

It's the closest river too me (Dunmore East) and will pop over some morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Baumann jewellers in Dungarvan sell fishing licenses so they might know about what is needed and also Dungarvan Shooting and fishing shop up O'Connell street might help, I think the owners are from down Kilmacthomas way. I will go in a nd ask if I am passing and let you know what the story is.

Actually - one of the closest rivers to you is the Dawn which runs along by the Cork Road intermittently from Carrolls Cross to Kilmeaden itself (more or less). It's a great little river I fished in my youth however no one fishes it any more and has become quite overgrown. A lack of predators has also caused a situation where primarily all the fish are small but in huge quantities.

Many happy youth days spent fishing that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Supersonic1993

Evac101 wrote: »
    Actually - one of the closest rivers to you is the Dawn which runs along by the Cork Road intermittently from Carrolls Cross to Kilmeaden itself (more or less). It's a great little river I fished in my youth however no one fishes it any more and has become quite overgrown. A lack of predators has also caused a situation where primarily all the fish are small but in huge quantities.

Many happy youth days spent fishing that :)

Hi Evac,

I live off the cork road and I think I know the river you speak of. Its pretty small ain't it, borderline stream? Just to be sure, is this the same river that runs at the back of Haughtons pub?

I was never aware of any fishing it? I presume those days are long gone. What areas where you fishing from?

any info on this would be helpful
    Supersonic

Exactly the one Supersonic. While it's very small @ Haughtons it gets broader the further down you go. In typical Irish fashion I'll describe the route in terms of pubs :P

So behind the Long House (bottom of the hill travelling towards Waterford after passing Kildermody GAA pitch) are a couple of nice pools though, given that it's closed, you may need to fish these from the far side of the river as I assume that the grounds around the pub is private property these days where we had free reign when I was a child. Just past the grounds of the pub is a stretch of marshy ground which had some nice runs and pools on it also. Once you get to the sign for Frank Murphy (hurley maker renowned around Ireland and a very friendly man who fished the river quite a bit himself) the river is relatively clear - with Franks permission you might get a chance to fish it and it's one of those bucolically beautiful farmland scenes.

The river continues to run alongside the motorway almost all the way as far as the roundabout, veering left at a house on the right named 'Ivy House' if memory serves right. There's evidence of mill races and mill ponds around the river there, though I don't know the actual history of that - could equally have been water for private gardens or industrialisation of some kind.

The river comes close to a road once again opposite what used to be the Cosy Thatch pub (which apparently is also closed these days). There was a decent pool under the railway bridge visible from the road there though I've been told that some un-approved demo-fishing efforts in the late 90's affected both the bridge itself and the pool beneath it.

Since I haven't really fished the river (merely viewed it in passing) since about 1993 I couldn't speak any further with any kind of accuracy ;)

Out of curiosity, did anyone try out the Dawn? If so, what was it like? I visit down home fairly regularly so I can give it a try another time myself obviously but some advanced info would be nice :)

Advertisement