Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one that got away.....

Options
  • 02-03-2014 9:25pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

I spent a few hours on my kayak on Lough Owel this morning trolling for trout. Managed to land a half decent fish but when I hooked a second one later on I couldn't get my GoPro to sit in the rod holder. So instead, I stuck it under the water as I played the fish, and of course he managed to throw the hook for the camera :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Nice vid, pity you didn't land the second trout, looked a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Nice video. But how do you troll from a kyak?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Nice video. But how do you troll from a kyak?

Easy enough. The kayak is a sit-on-top fishing kayak with five rod holders. There's a scotty holder in front of me and I sit the rod in there. It sticks out at 90 degrees and I paddle away keeping an eye on the rod tip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Easy enough. The kayak is a sit-on-top fishing kayak with five rod holders. There's a scotty holder in front of me and I sit the rod in there. It sticks out at 90 degrees and I paddle away keeping an eye on the rod tip.

What depth is the lure working at?

chopper6 wrote: »
    What depth is the lure working at?

I never really took any heed of that TBH. However Owel is quite shallow in parts and the only time I snagged was when I was is about 3-4ft of water.
    The fish in the second half of the video was in a about 8-10ft of water and I didn't snag there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

What was it your useing? If you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

How is owel fishing so far?
    Much been caught?
    I know it's early but after stocking the lake is usually crammed with people lashing the trout out

Seller159 wrote: »
    What was it your useing? If you dont mind me asking?

Don't mind at all. I started with a little mepps and got nothing. Switched to a small Rapala Minnow and hit those two. I pinched the barbs too and you can actually see the hook fall from the fish's mouth as I was holding him up for the camera.

How is owel fishing so far?
    Much been caught?
    I know it's early but after stocking the lake is usually crammed with people lashing the trout out

That was my first outing this year and I was there from 9.30am until 2.30pm. I saw two boats the whole time. Saturday was a nicer day so there may have been more out then.

Advertisement