Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting of Our Lady's Island Lake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Why do they drain it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭flashjohn

Its fills every year

They have to cut a passage between sea and lake (200m)and then it drains. The passage widens to about 100m and it flows for days

2.JPG
    1.JPG
    3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But why do they HAVE to? What happened before guys with diggers were invented?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

looksee wrote: »

They obviously dug it by hand. There's a conservation plan of our lady's island that documents reports of the hand digging of the cut dating back into the 1600's. The cut was being dug every 7 or 8 years back then (apologies but I can't seem to link the document at the moment but if you google conservation our lady's island you should be able to read it).

If you get a chance, it really is a sight to see the exodus from the lake meeting the sea.....the noise has to be heard to be believed.

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

When do they do this? Summer I assume but when?

Normally every March, but the lake was nearly on road in the village lately. They cut it last week, it hasnt drained yet, I'd say the passage has blocked back up with the southerly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

here is some history on the lake

http://www.ourladysisland.ie/conservation_plan_our_ladys_island.php

and if you're really interested the National Parks & wildlife service report from 1997

http://www.npws.ie/publications/archive/Healy_1997_Lagoons_III_Site_Reports.pdf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Why do they drain it?
    looksee wrote: »

It will over-fill and flood the area I presume?

Yes, it does flood, and before diggers they did it by hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This still happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Advertisement