Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - Outings 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

. Doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

How's the table looking Charlie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

scrubber72 wrote: »
    How's the table looking Charlie

I'm off today so won't get near a computer till later scrubber but will post the table the minute I do. Ssbob updated it monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'm off today so won't get near a computer till later scrubber but will post the table the minute I do. Ssbob updated it monday night.

Any chance of the revised table ?

Sorry for the delay lads, am enjoying this fine weather - would enjoy it more on the golf course but what can you do.

We'll have to up our game (or cut macker 10 shots) to catch him!! Can feel an ESR coming on when I revise the handicaps!!!!

I'll set up the Ballykisteen thread soon. Looling forward to heading back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Macker1

Sorry for the delay lads, am enjoying this fine weather - would enjoy it more on the golf course but what can you do.

We'll have to up our game (or cut macker 10 shots) to catch him!! Can feel an ESR coming on when I revise the handicaps!!!!

I'll set up the Ballykisteen thread soon. Looling forward to heading back there.

Surely an ESR would be a bit harsh :eek::eek:

To be fair I'm just in a purple patch even I'm surprised as to how well things have gone since selling my soul to the Devil :p:p

Looking forward to next outing especially if the weather is like it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Macker1 wrote: »
    Surely an ESR would be a bit harsh.

Joking aside and I hope I don't sound like an arse but surely an ESR is due, if it was a club comp it would be a big cut for each event and an ESR.

My hat is off to you for such great scoring, especially in Carlow but your game suggests you area much better than your handicap. Remember shooting 36 in both events would have been a great score.

Even with a 5 shot cut you could easily still shoot 34 points in each event and be out of sight in the GOTY. If you do get cut and go onto win the GOTY I will be delighted to hand over the prize.

Again hope I don't sound like I am full if sour grapes, it is not my intention.

J

Joking aside and I hope I don't sound like an arse but surely an ESR is due, if it was a club comp it would be a big cut for each event and an ESR.

My hat is off to you for such great scoring, especially in Carlow but your game suggests you area much better than your handicap. Remember shooting 36 in both events would have been a great score.

Even with a 5 shot cut you could easily still shoot 34 points in each event and be out of site in the GOTY. If you do get cut and go onto wind the GOTY I will be delighted to hand over the prize.

J

Don't think you sound like an ar*e at all J.
    Just saying what needs to be said.
    Plenty of evidence to suggest an ESR should be on the cards.
    I think we need to be going to the remaining outings with at least a little hope that we're in with some chance on a good day.

Macker, bar a bad back 9 in Esker on your first outing, you'd probably have had a 3/3 strike rate at the outings.
    You've won 2 on the trot and the last one by 6 shots after a 2 shot cut.

It may be a purple patch, but that's what an ESR is for!
    Btw, you're being a bit modest, your scoring is more than a purple patch it's just a higher level of golf than some of only wish (and would probably kill ;) ) for.

It's incredible golf and the way your going you should drop dramatically once the counting season starts.
    Sure the way things are going, Charlie will apply an ESR and then have to knock a few shots more off it to match your GUI at the stage!!!! :)

Even with a 5 shot cut you could easily still shoot 34 points in each event and be out of site in the GOTY. If you do get cut and go onto wind the GOTY I will be delighted to hand over the prize.

J

It's not fair :(:(:(:(

Only kidding Golfgraffix.......

I have no issue in my handicap being fairly cut in line with the scoring I have managed. It actually kills me to think that to this point all comps at my home course to date have been non-qualifying so I have missed out on a few cuts this year already. :mad:

Its a bit early to be thinking of the GOTY so I won't even be thinking about that. I do know that this year will be good for my golf as I plan to play a lot and if my handicap reduces reflecting a consistent level of play I'm more than happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,781 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It's not fair :(:(:(:(

Only kidding Golfgraffix.......

I have no issue in my handicap being fairly cut in line with the scoring I have managed. It actually kills me to think that to this point all comps at my home course to date have been non-qualifying so I have missed out on a few cuts this year already. :mad:

Its a bit early to be thinking of the GOTY so I won't even be thinking about that. I do know that this year will be good for my golf as I plan to play a lot and if my handicap reduces reflecting a consistent level of play I'm more than happy.

Well done Macker on your play.

What is your handicap target for the year. I think you a will be single figures soon.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Well done Macker on your play.

What is your handicap target for the year. I think you a will be single figures soon.
    Best of luck.

Thanks Fix

Currently off 16.8 so I set a goal of 13 but if my play during the year gets me lower I won't be complaining.

Well - I'm going to read macker's tips again. Whatever he is doing is working.

I just have to go out and win an outing and stop making excuses -

I'll be the dude with the headphones on listening to Rotella audio books for full round - no talking :)

Happy to be where I am considering I only played well on the first day - My Arch rival Tiger is flying it. Couple of other lads above me I have targeted too - they have weak spots ;)

I need to win an outing - easier said then done around here. I need to peak at a boards outing somehow. :D

Looked at it again there - only 110 points from 2 to 10 in table - means in one outing you can jump to 2nd.

Very good event.

Looked at it again there - only 110 points from 2 to 10 in table - means in one outing you can jump to 2nd.

Very good event.

It's 11 and down I'm worried about
    There's gonna be some competition for the Top 10, some big time players (& Rikand ;) ) just outside at present and ready to jump straight in.
    And then you have Kiers and BallyK.... A banker for 1st and 2nd at the next one! No pressure lads ;)

I played the round with macker in carlow and once qualifying comes in in his home course I know his handicap will drop. He's an excellent steady player.

Was only joking about the esr too! Just give the rest of us a chance to catch up!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Lads lads lads. Calm down. I have played twice with macker and know how to rattle him. 50 euro each and i shall divulge. Also i will be back for ballyk to soften his cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Was only joking about the esr too! Just give the rest of us a chance to catch up!!!!!

Again I hate to be the one sounding like an arse but surely there has to be an ESR, no? He shot better than 4 under ss twice in 4 weeks?

Again I hate to be the one sounding like an arse but surely there has to be an ESR, no? He shot better than 4 under ss twice in 4 weeks?

Under general rules, then yes an ESR should be applied but this is the first time it's come up in the society. There's no rule permitting an ESR at present but its something we can introduce for next season? Its not something thatbi would like to implement mid season.

I had a few good scores last year including 43 points so its achievable! !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've not been to any outings this year but still very active behind the scenes so I want ad my 2 cents. This society is still finding it's feet and we are still learning. If we go introducing more rules mid season then that's not right. Perhaps and this is my opinion that we review is cutting the handicap the best idea. Other societies take points off you. For instance I won an outing and the very next one I was -4 before hitting a ball. No one has won an outing back to back since I joined it nearly 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I bet Macker will be quite happy to sacrifice his top spot in the GOY Chase and his spot in the Ryder Jug and take an esr reduction of 10 shots.

In return.......... 4 more wins please :)

• Advertisement

Macker what is your own view on ESR.
    would you be delighted with it ?

It I s not your fault your playing so well.

What will Macker be off next outing.

BTW

Ben won twice in round 4 and 5 last year. So there is precedence.

I have had the pleasure of getting an ESR on my GUI Handicap during 2013 and would have no issues in it happening again this year if my play deserves it. That said I would expect that my Boards Society Handicap would be adjusted in accordance with the current Society Rules. I have yet to meet Ben but when he won back to back last year what happened in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

. I have yet to meet Ben but when he won back to back last year what happened in that case?

he didn't shoot 4 shots over the SSS for both his wins lol

we didn't state an esr at the start of the year and it should stay that way. Macker is 4 less than his handicap now and that's the way it should stay.

A 4 shot reduction for 2 wins is rewarding enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I have had the pleasure of getting an ESR on my GUI Handicap during 2013 and would have no issues in it happening again this year if my play deserves it. That said I would expect that my Boards Society Handicap would be adjusted in accordance with the current Society Rules. I have yet to meet Ben but when he won back to back last year what happened in that case?

Think it was something like 35pts and 34pts for the wins.
    I'm on Macker side here lads. If it was a GUI HC I think he would only be reduced by 1.8. He is now 4 shots less than the start of season. Will be hard to adjust to that. We shouldn't alter the rule just because someone has just hit some great form. Rather congratulate him, he is trying his hardest to get as low as possible and that's all I need to hear

Under general rules, then yes an ESR should be applied but this is the first time it's come up in the society. There's no rule permitting an ESR at present but its something we can introduce for next season? Its not something thatbi would like to implement mid season.

I had a few good scores last year including 43 points so its achievable! !!!
    I've not been to any outings this year but still very active behind the scenes so I want ad my 2 cents. This society is still finding it's feet and we are still learning. If we go introducing more rules mid season then that's not right. Perhaps and this is my opinion that we review is cutting the handicap the best idea. Other societies take points off you. For instance I won an outing and the very next one I was -4 before hitting a ball. No one has won an outing back to back since I joined it nearly 3 years ago
    Ben1977 wrote: »
    Think it was something like 35pts and 34pts for the wins.
    I'm on Macker side here lads. If it was a GUI HC I think he would only be reduced by 1.8. He is now 4 shots less than the start of season. Will be hard to adjust to that. We shouldn't alter the rule just because someone has just hit some great form. Rather congratulate him, he is trying his hardest to get as low as possible and that's all I need to hear

Just to be extremely clear, this isn't about Macker at all here for me.
    Unfortunately, Macker is at the heart of it, but it's not about taking sides.
    I don't think any boards member begrudges anyone that is out to improve.
    Far from that in fact, there has always been a great amount of good will among the lads that play.

I for one, would be delighted to see Mackers handicap tumble, just as much as I'd like to see my own or any other lads in the Soc.

As an aside:

My take on the ESR is that it would be
    5 * 0.3 = 1.5 for the win in Porumna
    6 * 0.3 = 1.8 for the win in Carlow

The average ND of those two is 5.5, that triggers a cut of 2 shots on top as per the ESR guidlines.

Which would make it a total 5.3 cut if we were trying to be like the GUI........which is ridiculous, we're a golf society for god sake, there is no need to cop out and wait for the AGM at the end of the year.
    There was a committee meeting after Portumna was there not, and changes decided at that.

An additional 1 shot wouldn't be where I would be going on top of the standard 4 at all btw.

My issue is a Society/Committee issue.

Taken from the Boards Soc sticky

The main aims and objectives are for everybody to get out and have fun, meet new people, get to play some great golf courses and hopefully during the year be in with a chance of winning something for your efforts should you happen to play well.

Now, I'm sorry to say it, but there are quite a few lads that have an issue at present.
    Myself included... if you can't tell :D

When people see Macker winning a second outing by 6 shots on the field, then I don't blame people from wondering if the bolded part is out of the equation even if they have the game of there life.
    I don't blame people for looking at that, doing the simple maths and realising that a 2 shot reduction would mean he still won by 4 clear shots.

We can't predict the future, but we can protect against it.

I hope Macker wins plenty this year (outside of the soc) and that he gets to his goal but to be perfectly frank, I really hope he doesn't win another Society Outing.... not out of any bad will to Macker, but in order for the Society to function as most other societies do
    i.e by ensuring a good distribution for prizes.

Macker is almost a shoe in for GOY, he'll be very hard to catch, and he deserves it to be honest.
    An ESR, and a good on at that, will still ensure that he can still pick up plenty of placing points to will see him cross the line in first. The new points system almost ensures this.

In the extremely unlikely circumstance that anyone wins 2 of the remaining ones to catch him, they should be slashed as a result.

Keano, you mentioned a new points system, how is that different?
    Is it easier to tell someone you are giving them minus points rather than reducing their handicap... It's nothing more than a cop out or an easy way around things from what I can see.
    You mentioned that no-one has won back to backs in that society though... I'm guessing those guys have a plan in place and aren't trying to be the GUI, but instead, are functioning well as a society.

Charlie, you had a 43 pointer last year. A rarity no?
    Macker has had more 40 somethings this year than you'd get at a Rolling Stones concert :)
    I'm envious of that, but I don't begrudge it one bit.
    The rules state that Handicaps are monitored and can be done so outside of just the GUI method.

We're probably the most fanatical golf society out there, we should know the workings inside and out.
    If we don't see the difference between....
    -Ben, a low handicapper scoring 34 & 35 to win two on the trot (& with much less of scoring variances as a result of being lower) not getting an ESR and
    -Macker a high HC (for now :P) that is shooting high variances and winning with 41 & 42 points (and being completely honest about his scores on other threads, and has told us he was a scratch Pitch & Putt player moons ago...again, this goes to show it's not a Macker issue)

Sure look at Rikand, he's still playing off a Society HC that given means that he probably has to shoot an under par round to be in with a chance of winning.
    And this is still from his sins of last year...
    If we don't know the difference between giving a 5 HC'er a 4 shot cut and giving an 18 HC'er a 4 shot cut and what that means to the chances of having a fair crack at things then we ain't learning much from this forum.

Hope you don't mind the reference Rikand, I don't know your thoughts on this matter and I haven't spoken to Rikand on this. (in case anyone thinks he has the same opinions)
    All I know is that Rikand has taken it on the chin, and bar the odd joke about it in good humour, he has sucked it up.

I hope the guys on the committee know that I have huge respect for all the work that is put in and I hope that, like GolfGraffix, this doesn't come across as sour grapes....it isn't, but I just can't still quietly by on this one, not when I've heard enough discontent with the way the committee plan to deal with this.

I assume this rule has not changed.

• All golfers new to the society shall be reviewed. This is on the basis of their GUI handicap if any, ability, experience playing the game, recent scores etc. to try and obtain a fair handicap for the society. Golfers with an official GUI who are actively still playing club/society golf shall play off their official handicap for the first two comps until the committee can observe their scores and adjust it accordingly if needed.

There is scope to change. Accordingly.

By the way ,

I think if Macker came in with a GUI and is now cut 4 shots , that is some cut.

He will be stopped by a 2 cut , eventually. Not to mention he is unlikely to play that well a third time. I think he is catchable . Maybe that is the new optimist in me .

I think it is the nature of the wins that caught people.
    I would have put a 100 euro on 36 winning in Athy , it was just funny when the lads said Macker had 42? , Anybody that was out there found it very hard, long, windy, greens very hard.

I said it to Macker on the day , he is a single figure golfer. Not far off it.

I guess if you improve that much that fast, no system will cope. The only thing is societies have flexibility that others dont.

For example , my handicap can not go up for 2 years in my society. I said to the lads you would get less in Mountjoy.

Anyway, some improvement Macker, well done. You just caught us with our trousers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

By the way ,

I think if Macker came in with a GUI and is now cut 4 shots , that is some cut.

He will be stopped by a 2 cut , eventually. Not to mention he is unlikely to play that well a third time. I think he is catchable . Maybe that is the new optimist in me .

I think it is the nature of the wins that caught people.
    I would have put a 100 euro on 36 winning in Athy , it was just funny when the lads said Macker had 42? , Anybody that was out there found it very hard, long, windy, greens very hard.

I said it to Macker on the day , he is a single figure golfer. Not far off it.

I guess if you improve that much that fast, no system will cope. The only thing is societies have flexibility that others dont.

For example , my handicap can not go up for 2 years in my society. I said to the lads you would get less in Mountjoy.

Anyway, some improvement Macker, well done. You just caught us with our trousers down.

This is none of my business in fairness as I don't play in the society. I'm assuming there are mandatory cuts for coming first , second, third etc, so depending on the size of those cuts an ESR could be applied.
    42pts in Athy is NOT an exceptional score ! 38 pts is usually ss in comps there. It's a short course and very playable. In all honesty 34 & 35 pts should not win an outing.

Well done Macker on your achievement , I had the pleasure of playing with yourself & Charlie last year in Castle Barna, I'm delighted to hear your game has vastly improved.

Ps. Would be interested to know what cuts are applied to prize winners. Also what is added to non prize winners handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

mafc wrote: »
    This is none of my business in fairness as I don't play in the society. I'm assuming there are mandatory cuts for coming first , second, third etc, so depending on the size of those cuts an ESR could be applied.
    42pts in Athy is NOT an exceptional score ! 38 pts is usually ss in comps there. It's a short course and very playable. In all honesty 34 & 35 pts should not win an outing.

Well done Macker on your achievement , I had the pleasure of playing with yourself & Charlie last year in Castle Barna, I'm delighted to hear your game has vastly improved.

Ps. Would be interested to know what cuts are applied to prize winners.

Athy was a typo on Fix's behalf - he meant Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

ballyk wrote: »
    Athy was a typo on Fix's behalf - he meant Carlow.

Fair enough Carlow is more difficult however 42 pts is achievable. I have played it many times & have had some good scores there also some poor scores. So a man hits a bit of form & the vultures are out. Take it on the chin lads & get on with it. Swings & roundabouts. It will even itself out over the year.

Advertisement