Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Separation costs & solicitors fees?

• 06-02-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all,

My wife split from me recently. I'm obviously very upset over it as I thought we had a great relationship but it looks like she ain't coming back.

So I pretty much need to try get on with my life. Luckily we don't own a house or have children but I'm not sure what the next step is in getting separated.

I'm guessing we will need to fill out some legal separation form. Is there 1 each or what? Do you have to go to a solicitor to get all this sorted or can you do it yourself. I'm also wondering what the costs are for getting all this done by the solicitor, as I don't have a lot of money

I also heard you have to wait 4 years for a divorce to go through, is this true?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

You may need to see a solicitor to advise you on what your next move will be regarding both your assets and the best way to go about a separation....if that's what you both want.
    As for costs well that really depends on how amicable the separation will be.
    The option is there for you to do it yourself at a fraction of the cost. But seek legal advice on your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joeg90

Hi, I have been through similar situation so will just let you know what I did. We only had a car in my name and bits of furniture, etc. When you say she's not coming back, I assume you still can contact her but she's not interested in reconciling the marriage, so then you should first both go to mediation. This is a government set up basically to get a simple agreement on the separation. As you have no children or property to deal with it should be simple enough. I also got a legal separation, which is essentially getting a solicitor to draw up an agreement that both sides sign. Afterwards I didn't think I had needed it as it was basically the same as the mediation, although I think the mediation didn't count as a legal agreement. Anyway, then as you say it is a 4 year wait for the divorce. If everything has been agreed on at this point then the DIY divorce should suit you as it did me. I think it cost about €600 at the time and they just send you the papers needed and you do all the filling in and posting yourself rather than paying solicitors fees for the same thing. That's about it, hope it helps and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

joeg90 wrote: »
    Hi, I have been through similar situation so will just let you know what I did. We only had a car in my name and bits of furniture, etc. When you say she's not coming back, I assume you still can contact her but she's not interested in reconciling the marriage, so then you should first both go to mediation. This is a government set up basically to get a simple agreement on the separation. As you have no children or property to deal with it should be simple enough. I also got a legal separation, which is essentially getting a solicitor to draw up an agreement that both sides sign. Afterwards I didn't think I had needed it as it was basically the same as the mediation, although I think the mediation didn't count as a legal agreement. Anyway, then as you say it is a 4 year wait for the divorce. If everything has been agreed on at this point then the DIY divorce should suit you as it did me. I think it cost about €600 at the time and they just send you the papers needed and you do all the filling in and posting yourself rather than paying solicitors fees for the same thing. That's about it, hope it helps and good luck.

If everything is amicable, my advice is to get a Solicitor to do an uncontested judicial separation. The mediation could take months to even get an appointment in some cases. Then the divorce is based on that. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    If everything is amicable, my advice is to get a Solicitor to do an uncontested judicial separation. The mediation could take months to even get an appointment in some cases. Then the divorce is based on that. Best of luck.

It's important to note that the clock for divorce starts ticking when you start living separate lives that you agree on NOT the date that you legally separate.

Eg : you leave the family home and close your joint accounts on 10/3/12 . You finally get a legal separation on 10/6/13 . The separation should mention the FORMER date. You can apply for divorce from 10/3/16 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Quince77

Ok, thanks for all the information you have posted here it's very helpful.
    I think I'll just contact a solicitor and get a move on with this as she doesn't seem to have done anything about it yet.

• Advertisement

Quince77 wrote: »
    I think I'll just contact a solicitor and get a move on with this as she doesn't seem to have done anything about it yet.

Or she hasn't told you she's done anything about it yet. Maybe, maybe not but you need to be putting yourself in her shoes from now on ;)

Quince77 wrote: »

Or she hasn't told you she's done anything about it yet. Maybe, maybe not but you need to be putting yourself in her shoes from now on ;)

Advertisement