Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Ireland Cloud Backup - Who's behind it all?

Options
  • 29-01-2014 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭

Hosting Ireland are offering a cloud backup, similar to the likes of Backblaze, Carbonite, Mozy, and Crashplan, with 1TB storage and other features.
    (www.hostingireland.ie/cloud-backup-info.php)

They are the best priced 'Irish' backup provider, it appears, but they claim that the main data centre is in the UK.

From this, I understand that they are reselling a different company's service. Does anyone know who this could be?

Bonus: Does anyone know of a reliable, well priced, IRISH backup provider for 200GB+ of data? Mozy are expensive and limited, Backblaze are slow-ish as they are in the US, SpiderOak are too pricey, and not sure about the others yet.

Mods: This area of topic is a funny one, as there is no 'perfect' forum for it. If you can think of somewhere better for this, please feel free to move it. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hosting Ireland are offering a cloud backup, similar to the likes of Backblaze, Carbonite, Mozy, and Crashplan, with 1TB storage and other features.
    (www.hostingireland.ie/cloud-backup-info.php)

They are the best priced 'Irish' backup provider, it appears, but they claim that the main data centre is in the UK.

From this, I understand that they are reselling a different company's service. Does anyone know who this could be?

Bonus: Does anyone know of a reliable, well priced, IRISH backup provider for 200GB+ of data? Mozy are expensive and limited, Backblaze are slow-ish as they are in the US, SpiderOak are too pricey, and not sure about the others yet.

Mods: This area of topic is a funny one, as there is no 'perfect' forum for it. If you can think of somewhere better for this, please feel free to move it. :)

Was searching for the answer too and I found this thread

Hosting Ireland are liveDrive resellers. Not a fan of liveDrive. It's only backing up a select few folders on my NAS. Backs up some, all are definitely selected. Did this with liveDrive and resellers drivepop and hosting Ireland. Very annoying

Crash plan, nice and cheap but very slow, as are backblaze
    I'm not very picky about the irishness, it'll help but not essential, just US ones are no use to me

Did you find anything in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

That's very disappointing. I thought that they may provide something different to the market, but there seems to be a distinctive lack of Irish companies involved in this game

The two aforementioned companies are very good, but not great for European customers, and I even think that Mozy have moved their servers to the US. Regardless, and their pricing leaves a lot to be desired.

No, I found nothing in the end, and now I've been a few months without a service, relying on hard drives. I am saying an 'Irish provider', not for some patriotic reason, but because logistically it makes sense. If I've data, I want the servers that hold it to be as close to me as possible for speed reasons, and also as they will be closer to my control (Thanks, PRISM). I am frustrated that such a service isn't offered to be honest. I'd even pay a quid or two more than Crashplan or Backblaze want, if there was an Irish or regional equivalent.

Ironically, I read somewhere that you could make a secured, password protected compressed file of your data, name it like a Wikileaks or Snowden document, and upload it as a torrent. Download it in the future, with a guarantee that people will still share it thinking that it is important. But, this is only a joke. You should never do something like this and waste the time of people who are helping one of these causes. :-)

Advertisement