Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poachers convicted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I find it a bit strange that the report doesn't even mention the 5 eels which are offered far more protection in Ireland than the course fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

viper123 wrote: »
    I find it a bit strange that the report doesn't even mention the 5 eels which are offered far more protection in Ireland than the course fish.

Thought that as well. Fines seem a bit lax tbh considering the amount of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

In my opinion they should have fined him a minimum of €10,000......... If not to punish, moreso to discourage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

In my opinion they should have fined him a minimum of €10,000......... If not to punish, moreso to discourage!

Im not sure what the max fine is but they should have got it, i agree. Unfortunately the punishment given out for these and poaching of other animals are very lax. I wonder did he take into account them able to afford travelling to the lake in the first place in regards to them travelling to court:rolleyes:

Im not sure what the max fine is but they should have got it, i agree. Unfortunately the punishment given out for these and poaching of other animals are very lax. I wonder did he take into account them able to afford travelling to the lake in the first place:rolleyes:

im surprised the judge didn't give him a fuel allowance!!=D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I'd really like to see the outcome of a trial like this were the judge is an angler also! Reckon it'd be a bit different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That's more fish than they could freeze they had to be selling them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

gumbo1 wrote: »
    I'd really like to see the outcome of a trial like this were the judge is a coarse angler also! Reckon it'd be a bit different!

had to fix that :)

had to fix that :)

Doesn't matter if they were a course sea trout or salmon angler they would just have a better understanding of how people like this are affecting the fish stocks of Ireland! !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

gumbo1 wrote: »
    I'd really like to see the outcome of a trial like this were the judge is an angler also! Reckon it'd be a bit different!

Happened a few times with the Fella in Carrickmacross, can't think of his name off the top of me head

Edit: Think McBride was his name, not certain though

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-releases/man-convicted-for-illegally-using-spear-and-lamp-to-take-spawning-salmon.html

was just reading this on facebook , i have seen this happen in a local river (glanmire ) and even seen people brag on facebook with pictures , i would have expected a bigger fine for this also

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Making mountains out of mole hills. There's plenty of them fish about. People calling for 10k fines, shocking!! Do you people think that kind of money grows on trees

Mod note - trolling. Don't post in this thread again.

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Making mountains out of mole hills. There's plenty of them fish about. People calling for 10k fines, shocking!! Do you people think that kind of money grows on trees

Name says it all "newbie" , not a clue what he's on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod Obvious troll so no need to engage in discussing the post, cheers.

SeaFields wrote: »

Apologies , although you wouldn't know with some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Very disappointed with the 'punishment', nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

SeaFields wrote: »

I can assure you it wasn't a troll post. I just think people calling for 10k fines is outrageous. I am against poaching but you can't call for fines like that for such a small crime. If we go down this road in law terms, won't be long till we'll be getting 10k fines for breaking the speed limit. You have to put it in to perspective here

I can assure you it wasn't a troll post. I just think people calling for 10k fines is outrageous. I am against poaching but you can't call for fines like that for such a small crime. If we go down this road in law terms, won't be long till we'll be getting 10k fines for breaking the speed limit. You have to put it in to perspective here

Eh I think a 10K fine is more of a deterrent to others that may think of doing such illegal fishing than the "punishment" that was handed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod. Newbie2013 banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Any clown calling poaching a small crime should be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

This seizure is just a drop in the ocean(pun intended) of the amount of illegal netting that's going on in this country...these people have destroyed stocks up and down the country.

Ireland used to be a popular destination for British anglers and this sort of criminality is actually hurting the economy.
    No surprise at all to hear they were eastern europeans...as i've tried to explain to them before,Irish lakes are NOT The black sea...we do not have huge stocks of coarse fish just there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the 'punishment', nothing will change.

IFI are in the process of amending and updating all fishery legislation and byelaws to make them relevant for 2014. The 1959 and 1980 Acts do not function appropriately for the management of modern fisheries.

Advertisement