Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discuss acceptable/unacceptable ICT qualifications here

Options
  • 12-01-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - Shield here:

Since this seems to be a new requirement in the recruitment campaign this time around, I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where people can share what qualifications they have, and have either been told it does or does not meet the required standard. The next few posts will be moved from the "Assessment Centre" thread to here, and you can pick up the discussion from this thread onwards.

Cheers.

-Shield.
    PS - Because DesertCreat_15 has an earlier post than my original post starting this thread, I have to hijack his post and use it to introduce the thread. Sorry DC!

Hows the prep going for everyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

I know there's loads on here reference the online ECDL course and it's validity at the AC. Has anyone got in past the qualification screening with the online certificate? Has anyone been turned away? I'm not going to count my chickens..... PM me if you don't want to disclose info publicly

Ta ta

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I know there's loads on here reference the online ECDL course and it's validity at the AC. Has anyone got in past the qualification screening with the online certificate? Has anyone been turned away? I'm not going to count my chickens..... PM me if you don't want to disclose info publicly

Ta ta

I emailed Deloitte last week about this, no response as yet (my ac date is over a week away yet) but I very much doubt I'll be told I should attend. Will let you know when I hear back, I've spoke to several people though and am 99% sure I'll be told not to attend. Next recruitment campaign I will be more than ready.

.S. wrote: »
    I emailed Deloitte last week about this, no response as yet (my ac date is over a week away yet) but I very much doubt I'll be told I should attend. Will let you know when I hear back, I've spoke to several people though and am 99% sure I'll be told not to attend. Next recruitment campaign I will be more than ready.

Thanks. How can they say £200 course and a cert isn't acceptable??? They have certainly changed the criteria from the initial ad! Anyone refused should raise the matter with 'someone' lol. Keep us all posted

Thanks. How can they say £200 course and a cert isn't acceptable??? They have certainly changed the criteria from the initial ad! Anyone refused should raise the matter with 'someone' lol. Keep us all posted

I don't know which website you used (mine was ecdluk.co.uk, an open it cert) but sounds like most of the online certs are basically fraudulent (mine def is...) unless u sat the ECDL test in a accredited centre the cert is basically worth nothing, isn't a qualification so they can't accept it. It's what I get for trying to get qualification ASAP so I wouldn't have to worry about it, I seen test centres but had a few days off work and wanted it over and done with. You learn!

Silver lining for me is I've had persistent sciatica the last 6weeks or so, from trying to increase fitness/weights training, would worry about that if I managed to reach medical, they might not like it. Least now I can strengthen my back in plenty of time for next recruitment. If you end up getting turned back, don't give up. Nothing worth having comes easy 😊

.s.
    I 'sat' the course/ assessment online with Robust IT

Hope your back improves

• Advertisement

.s.

Hope your back improves

Haven't heard of them, maybe someone else has. Backs a fair bit better now thanks but would rather be able to say had back pain x months ago rather than a few weeks ago. Will give u a shout when I hear back anyways, night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

.s.

Hope your back improves

I was of the understanding that it is not possible to sit any acceptable assessment online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr.Peanut

I don't think they changed criteria, the problem is that to gain a real EDCL qualifaction you must sit with an exam at a test centre with an indivulator watching you do the test. That is the only way you can get the certificate unfortunately and no matter how much someone charges you to do it.
    You can't polish a turd and so on...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mr.Peanut wrote: »
    ...to gain a real EDCL qualifaction you must sit with an exam at a test centre with an indivulator watching you do the test. That is the only way you can get the certificate unfortunately and no matter how much someone charges you to do it.
    I do believe this to be the case. You have to do your exam in a recognised testing centre, for example The Exam Centre (first hit from a Google search) who (among many) are trusted by (from their site) the ECDL Foundation/Microsoft/Cisco/Oracle and so on, with providing chairs, tables, computers, invigilators, a secure environment to prevent people from taking photographs of the questions, and so on. After you sit the test, you are given a Pass/Fail piece of paper which is crimped, stamped and signed by the invigilator.

From what I've been told by those in the know (thank you fellow Moderators), if you pay to do an online course, and then proceed to do a test online, this is just an indication that you are ready to sit the official test, which you must coordinate yourself using the services of a testing centre like the one referred to above. The distance learning people will give you pointers, but you are responsible for your own official certification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭biker701

As already mentioned RobustIT and ECDLUK certificates will get you turned at AC as they are not official certificates. Most if not all of those who are turned over IT quals have a certificate from either of those companies. If you haven't sat for your IT qualification in a proper examination setting/centre your out of luck I'm afraid. I was also stung over this, but thankfully I paid a lot less than others for these courses and managed to sit a proper test in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

biker701 wrote: »
    As already mentioned RobustIT and ECDLUK certificates will get you turned at AC as they are not official certificates. Most if not all of those who are turned over IT quals have a certificate from either of those companies. If you haven't sat for your IT qualification in a proper examination setting/centre your out of luck I'm afraid. I was also stung over this, but thankfully I paid a lot less than others for these courses and managed to sit a proper test in time.

I'm in the same boat. I got the course cheap and sat the test elsewhere. On the whole, it saved me money as I didn't need to pay for an ECDL training course elsewhere, so the totals cost of training and test was much less than other places charging for their test alone.

Bob Law wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I got the course cheap and sat the test elsewhere. On the whole, it saved me money as I didn't need to pay for an ECDL training course elsewhere, so the totals cost of training and test was much less than other places charging for their test alone.

I unfortunately was niave, ecdluk website said qualification as required by companies such as nhs, PSNI etc. I rang and questioned a guy and he was adamant online test was equilivilent. Obviously just looking a sale. But you learn, next recruitment drive is my time!

FAO mods; know I asked a lot of q's on AC thread about this, sorry if I blocked it up and thanks for setting this thread up 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 36 RWA61994

I have ICT A Level and a GCSE called Business and Communication Systems (Which is basically ICT with a different name) Just wondering would it hinder me because i dont have actual ICT at GCSE level or does A Level superseed this?

RWA61994 wrote: »
    I have ICT A Level and a GCSE called Business and Communication Systems (Which is basically ICT with a different name) Just wondering would it hinder me because i dont have actual ICT at GCSE level or does A Level superseed this?

A level should supersede it, it's an acceptable qualification

Ta ta

Got my reply from Deloitte today. My Cert isn't acceptable, was as I suspected. Next recruitment drive I'll be ready!

Real pity. S., thanks for keeping us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

Everybody who paid for an ECDL course at <mod snip> should actively pursue a refund, any questions regarding this, pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 quickcatch

I know this has been discussed extensively but I'm a little confused by my certificate matching the requirements. I have an ECDL from the BCS(Chartered Institute for IT) and have sat the 8 modules so it says level 1 beside 4 of them and level 2 beside the other 4. Above my name it has the ECDL foundation and logo. I sat this at a test center so I wasn't overly worried but when reading the requirements I notice they specify ECDL Essential level 1. There is no mention of the word essential on my certificate, can anyone shed any light on this? Is the essentials level 1 just the 4 modules with level 1 beside them?

Cheers, I realise this has been discussed extensively and is boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

quickcatch wrote: »
    I know this has been discussed extensively but I'm a little confused by my certificate matching the requirements. I have an ECDL from the BCS(Chartered Institute for IT) and have sat the 8 modules so it says level 1 beside 4 of them and level 2 beside the other 4. Above my name it has the ECDL foundation and logo. I sat this at a test center so I wasn't overly worried but when reading the requirements I notice they specify ECDL Essential level 1. There is no mention of the word essential on my certificate, can anyone shed any light on this? Is the essentials level 1 just the 4 modules with level 1 beside them?

Your cert is fine. ECDL Level 1 is the same as ECDL Essentials. You have actually exceeded the requirements by having Level 2 :)

I had the same cert as you and it was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ptsb1

You are OK as you have more than just the ECDL essential Level 1 (which is all that I have). Essential Level 1 is just the 4 modules.

• Advertisement

Nice one thanks folks

If it helps anyone who is waiting to do their AC, I actually printed out my reply from deloitte stating that my cert was acceptable - just in case there were any issues on the day

What was the issue with your cert 19087?

What was the issue with your cert 19087?

It wasn't on their list of acceptable quals, but it was equivalent (actually exceeded requirement) and was basically just a name change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

My GCSE in 'Computer Studies' was accepted with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sapphire101

Hey guys, i know this hasnt been used in a few weeks but just an update for anyone who isnt aware - Becasue i had let deloitte know that my online cert wasnt valid and i wouldnt be attending my AC, i have been given 3 weeks to sit the ECDL exam and a fresh AC date. its a goodwill gesture for those who were in the same boat as me as we all had faith that the online was what we needed. if anyone on here is in the same situation as me and contacted deloitte about it, CHECK YOUR EMAIL, you may have been given a second chance at this!
    Im booked in for my ECDL exam tomorrow so fingers crossed all goes well and i have my Cert in time!
    Also, shop around for prices, ive managed to get one for under £100 but have been quoted as much as £250!
    Good luck to everyone!

Yep, I was meant to have my AC today but received the goodwill gesture. Struggling to find a 'test only' venue that doesn't cost £300+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭biker701

Is everyone who got turned at AC over the IT quals getting offered a second chance or is it only a few?

Yep, I was meant to have my AC today but received the goodwill gesture. Struggling to find a 'test only' venue that doesn't cost £300+

I haven't received any emails so emailed them, fingers crossed! Someone said Bryson house to me, I'll have to look into it, needless to say, any recommendation would be appreciated lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Hey guys, i know this hasnt been used in a few weeks but just an update for anyone who isnt aware - Becasue i had let deloitte know that my online cert wasnt valid and i wouldnt be attending my AC, i have been given 3 weeks to sit the ECDL exam and a fresh AC date. its a goodwill gesture for those who were in the same boat as me as we all had faith that the online was what we needed. if anyone on here is in the same situation as me and contacted deloitte about it, CHECK YOUR EMAIL, you may have been given a second chance at this!
    Im booked in for my ECDL exam tomorrow so fingers crossed all goes well and i have my Cert in time!
    Also, shop around for prices, ive managed to get one for under £100 but have been quoted as much as £250!
    Good luck to everyone!

This is very good for you guys, but I think it is a bit unfair to change the goalposts.

What about people who decided not to apply or not to attend as they didn't have certain certain on time - how does the goodwill gesture apply equally to them?

Advertisement