Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainbow trout flies?

Options
  • 10-01-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Well i have decided i am going to go for a spot of rainbow fishing with the missus tommorrow, so my question is:

In your opinion what is the best rainbow fly for this time of the year???

I have an idea myself of what i may use but if a reply sparks my interest i have time to tie something tonight!

Thanks

Dazza

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

I would be more concerned about depth rather than the fly.

Personally I would be fishing a team of epoxy buzzers with a bloodworm on the tail, fluorocarbon and about 15 to 18 ft leader with three droppers.

Fished correctly this should allow you to search through the water column and hopefully locate the feeding trout.

Remember that there are only 2 speeds with which to fish buzzers those being, dead slow and even slower than dead slow.

Fish lures if you wish, just ensure that they are fishing deep and slow.
    Cats whisker variants, snakes and humungous have been working for me these last few weeks, but moreso, get the depth right.

Good Luck, C.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I would be more concerned about depth rather than the fly.

Personally I would be fishing a team of epoxy buzzers with a bloodworm on the tail, fluorocarbon and about 15 to 18 ft leader with three droppers.

Fished correctly this should allow you to search through the water column and hopefully locate the feeding trout.

Remember that there are only 2 speeds with which to fish buzzers those being, dead slow and even slower than dead slow.

Fish lures if you wish, just ensure that they are fishing deep and slow.
    Cats whisker variants, snakes and humungous have been working for me these last few weeks, but moreso, get the depth right.

Good Luck, C.D.

thanks for the reply. I was thinking about buzzers,(thankfully i tied some last week) but i generally tend to fish single flies, 2 the odd occasion, that is quite a long leader also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anything that flashes an moves as an injured fish. But see it with some depth. Roughly 4-8 foot below surface

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I'd Try a Fast Sinking Line (depends On the depth of the lake) With something Flashy Or Something Marabou Type of Fly with a Slow Retrieve And Also Ask the Staff before Going there they know what flys are working at the moment!!
    Keep us posted When your done fishing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Chopper is spot on.

Slow and deep.

Fishing a 15-18 ft leader can be daunting at first especially in a bit of wind but it can be done, start with 12 ft and 2 flies. Heaviest buzzer on point and something else 4 feet up. When you've a handle on this casting wise, clip the point fly and tie another 4 ft on the end, leaving the "old" point piece a 6-7 in dropper. You've now got around 14ft and two droppers, you can go again to get up to 18ft.

I was fishing a place (mahon lakes) a while ago, possibly 2010, there was parts of the water frozen!, with a 13ft leader (2 flies) and was getting nothing, chap up from me was horsing fish out of it. I wondered up for a chat, turned out he was an English comp angler who really knew his stuff. Our flies were identical but he was fishing a 20ft leader (3 flies). I did the above and starting catching....

By no means the most pleasurable fly fishing but mighty effective in cold weather....

• Advertisement

whelzer wrote: »
    Chopper is spot on.

Slow and deep.

Fishing a 15-18 ft leader can be daunting at first especially in a bit of wind but it can be done, start with 12 ft and 2 flies. Heaviest buzzer on point and something else 4 feet up. When you've a handle on this casting wise, clip the point fly and tie another 4 ft on the end, leaving the "old" point piece a 6-7 in dropper. You've now got around 14ft and two droppers, you can go again to get up to 18ft.

I was fishing a place (mahon lakes) a while ago, possibly 2010, there was parts of the water frozen!, with a 13ft leader (2 flies) and was getting nothing, chap up from me was horsing fish out of it. I wondered up for a chat, turned out he was an English comp angler who really knew his stuff. Our flies were identical but he was fishing a 20ft leader (3 flies). I did the above and starting catching....

By no means the most pleasurable fly fishing but mighty effective in cold weather....

thanks for the info.......I have fished teams of 3 before on 20ft leaders so im familiar with it just not a huge fan of long leaders and tippets

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

when i fished it few weeks back i had a real heavy gold head kinda l like a tube fly white with glitter and a size 18 hares ear with a pearl in it on the dropper

i was using the gold head to get down really but i got at least 10 on the hares ear ,i was amazed compared to 2/3 on the nymph

Well im back from ballyhass.

It was extremely flooded, and very cold, but that being said a good day out. We fished the upper lake and , I had 3 on the fly ( white streamer ) largest was 1 & 1/2 lbs. My fiance had 6 spinning with a 12g rainbow toby largest was 3 lb.

The fish were in absolutely brilliant condition, with fully finned tails.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

That upper lake would always produce the goods they just won't put any big fish In there due to being allowed spin and worm etc , still good sport though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

fishing with the missus tommorrowa

I think I speak for everyone here when I say well played!

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    I think I speak for everyone here when I say well played!

Ha, ya its our quality time;-)

Advertisement