Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike attracted to coffee!!

Options
  • 08-01-2014 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

After a few blanks before Christmas I decided to give it a go yesterday and today. I didn't expect any pike to be honest as the water in the lake was very high. Anyway, sat in the drizzle for an hour and a half yesterday with not a hint of a fish, when I decided to warm up with a cup of coffee. Half way through my cuppa and the float drops. A nice 9 lb pike. Today, I only had the cup poured when the same thing happened, with a decent 12lb fish. Forty five minutes later, I realised I haddened got to enjoy my coffee, poured another, took one mouthful and wham a 10lb pike. I think I need to start flavouring the bait with coffee in future. Who'd have thought pike were attracted to coffee!!!!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I know exactly what you mean! just when you dont want a run, you get one. its often happened me, on a very cold day as as soon as milk is added to the tea the alarm starts beeping!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

i call it the sandwich trick lol
    works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

A call of nature will inevitably see the tip of the rod start to knock as well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Years ago myself and my mate fished rosslare alot during summer and if we had no radio playing old school music we never caught anything.
    Soon as queen would be on or Motörhead we were into some fish.
    Never forget the day we were hammering fish all day( mainly doggies) and batteries died in radio and didn't get a bite for rest of the day after that.
    'Tis a strange oul hobby huh

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

i Heard it has to be nescafe tho :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

i Heard it has to be nescafe tho :-D

Oh sweet lord, no! Proper brew of ground coffee only ever works for me. That artificial coffee doesn't attract anything.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That artificial coffee doesn't attract anything.:)

Clearly Havint been near a Starbucks lately :) attracts all sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

As has been mentioned answering a call of nature greatly increases the chances of a run.

I think it's related to the phenomenon that as soon as you sit down on the bog the chances of the phone or doorbell ringing massively increases!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Paddy_R wrote: »
    As has been mentioned answering a call of nature greatly increases the chances of a run.
    you need watch what your eating:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

natdog wrote: »
    you need watch what your eating:eek:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Liver blood is deadly , come from miles for it

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

That's the fishermans law, as soon as you get a brew on you get a bite and its cold by the time you get back to it, that is if you haven't kicked it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Year's ago I used to fish competitions in the Shannon Estuary, and had a habit of walking away from my rod almost every time I did this I caught a good sized fish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I can confirm this is a myth.
    Went out yesterday deadbaiting for pike. Thought it would be good fishing with the light frost. After an hour of not even a nibble i grabbed the flasked and poured some coffee. I did this twice more over the 6 hours fishing and not so much as a nibble or follow all day:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I can confirm this is a myth.
    Went out yesterday deadbaiting for pike. Thought it would be good fishing with the light frost. After an hour of not even a nibble i grabbed the flasked and poured some coffee. I did this twice more over the 6 hours fishing and not so much as a nibble or follow all day:mad::mad:

You should have went for a pee after your coffee ;)

Was it proper filtered Java? Only thing that works!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

SeaFields wrote: »
    You should have went for a pee after your coffee ;)

=)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Was it proper filtered Java? Only thing that works!

No, aldis finest. Pike must only like the best

No, aldis finest. Pike must only like the best

Aldi lures won't catch many pike so I doubt their coffee would.

Advertisement