Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain. Number of Links?

Options
  • 08-01-2014 10:20am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bought a Park Tool CC 3.2 chain measuring tool. It's very good! Need a new chain quick like!
    Original chain is Sram PC 971 116 links.
    ChainR. have a Sram PC 971 114 links. Should I be worried or does it matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It'll be 2-links lighter to that's a substantial saving right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have always removed a couple of links from any chain that I have bought. I regularly use the 971 and 1071 SRAM chains, and unless you have a very wide group and long chainstays I'd say that you will be fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Thank you citizens.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

I think it is. you'll probably be fine until you put it in the big ring and a big cog on the back. it *could* rip you deraileur clean off ! maybe you'll be fine with 2 links less as the rear deraileur may be able to handle the shorter chain. you could put it on a bike stand and gently ease it into the above gear combo to test it out. I'd just get the right length chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

It probably is the right chain length. They come long and really should be cut to length.

The chances of a 114 link chain being too small seems pretty unlikely. A 53 up the front and a 30 in the back might do it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

quozl wrote: »
    It probably is the right chain length. They come long and really should be cut to length.

The chances of a 114 link chain being too small seems pretty unlikely. A 53 up the front and a 30 in the back might do it ;)

Have a size 55 Lapierre and cut 5 links of a 114 sram last night.

Wrap around largest chainring and largest rear cog (by passing rd) and overlap chain by two links. Cut chain at the place where they overlap by two.

Join with sram connector, after rethreading through rd of course!. the black ones(single use I believe) are the work of Satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I use the late great Sheldon Brown's calculation http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain. never let me down.

Advertisement