Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC high ping to EU servers :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

Yeah same. The kicker is we just signed up to UPC last week, and LoL is the only game I play online other than poker. Could easily have gone with Sky but now :/

I was going to start a thread in the Talk To section later on to see what the Irish reps can say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

i am not a upc internet subscriber but i have just been told this morning they are launching something in the next few days that will solve lots of problems and increase speeds across the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm using this right now http://www.wtfast.com/
    The first 30 days are free and it works, my ping is 55 with this.
    I just hope the problem is solved before 30 days are up. I don't want to pay €10 a month just because UPC have some weird routing issues.

i am not a upc internet subscriber but i have just been told this morning they are launching something in the next few days that will solve lots of problems and increase speeds across the board

Speed as in Bandwidth or latency?
    It's a latency issue not bandwidth issue that is the problem here.
    A connection to a server in Germany should not be routing through New York which is the case currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Red post (and the one after) explaining that it should be fixed. Basically says it wasn't UPC or Riot's fault.

• Advertisement

Seifer wrote: »
    Red post (and the one after) explaining that it should be fixed. Basically says it wasn't UPC or Riot's fault.

From the second post
    However after analyzing a lot of your reports, we decided to send this over to our ISP in order to understand if it could be something on their end. They investigated and realized that yes, it was a problem with their networking. They performed a fix, and that is why we are seeing results.

It sounds like the fault was on riots end.

Everything is working fine now :)

tuxy wrote: »
    It sounds like the fault was on riots end.
    ???

The piece you quoted specifically says it was Riot's ISP's fault.
    However after analyzing a lot of your reports, we decided to send this over to our ISP in order to understand if it could be something on their end. They investigated and realized that yes, it was a problem with their networking. They performed a fix, and that is why we are seeing results.

Seifer wrote: »
    ???

The piece you quoted specifically says it was Riot's ISP's fault.

Exactly, their problem not UPC.
    UPC would have been powerless to sort the fault
    It was up to riot to get it resolved.

tuxy wrote: »
    Exactly, their problem not UPC.
    UPC would have been powerless to sort the fault
    It was up to riot to get it resolved.
    Normally don't do the double-dip on pointless internet arguments anymore but what the hell:

Riot's ISP (internet service provider) was at fault. You corrected my original post which said "Basically says it wasn't UPC or Riot's fault." to say "It sounds like the fault was on riots end."
    The fault was not Riot's. The fault was not UPC's. It was a third unnamed internet provider. For you to say the fault is on Riot's end is the equivalent of saying that it is your (tuxy) fault when your ISP (UPC) goes down.

I probably wouldn't have the power to infulence an ISPs decisions in the same way a big company like riot does.
    If it was in my power to do so and I sat back and did not contact my ISP I would be part of the problem.
    We would be still having the problem if riot has not tracked down the problem and ensured their ISP resolved the issue.
    Riot was the one in control here, if they had just said the problem was not their issue then it would still be on going.
    Well done riot for fixing their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If Tuxy is supplying me a service and he can no longer provide me with this service because of a 3rd party issue, then it's Tuxys fault.

So I would have no problem saying that Riot had an issue but managed to get it resolved by working with their 3rd party service providers.

If a company used a 3rd party to secure all of their user data and this data was breached, I'm sure you would be not so quick to forgive this company for letting it happen even if it was a partner of theirs.

It's a standard enough way of looking at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

UPC at it again? Was fine for a month now im back to double ping times

-Edit- Logged back on now and turns out it was the servers, back to normal pings now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JakeWhelan

Appears it's a routing issue on Riot's side. For some reason, connections are being routed to the US and back before reaching their destination explaining the double/triple ping.

This is only a case with some game servers though which it why it seems that sometimes it's "fixed".

Riot are looking into it now, they're looking for diagnostics to pin point the issue: http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=14621156#14621156

EDIT:

There's now an official thread for this: http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=14621849#14621849

Advertisement