Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite/most reliable fly?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just said i would start a thread for people to share there most successful / reliable fly choice.

Mine is as follows:

Brown trout:
    Dry - olive f fly, daddy long legs, gnat

Wet - alexandra, bibio, diawl bach.

Nymphs - gold head pheasant tail, hares ear, pink shrimp, buzzer nymph, caddis

Sea trout / Finnock:

Wet: Teal blue and silver, streamer

Nymphs: shrimp (heavily leaded)

Salmon:

Allys shrimp.

Of course i use hundreds of different flys and styles but these have been most effective.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

My most reliable fly (singular) as per your post.
    Gold beaded hares ear.
    After that, pheasant tailed nymph. Dry- gnat and daddy long legs.
    I don't salmon fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Rho b wrote: »
    Gold beaded hares ear.
    I don't salmon fish.

I also use gold headed nymphs now far more than regular nymphs....... They seem to be far more productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

I also use gold headed nymphs now far more than regular nymphs....... They seem to be far more productive.
    Depends on the water, time of year and the weather, but its normally the first fly I pick out of the box.

Depends on the water, time of year and the weather, but its normally the first fly I pick out of the box.

Yes the conditions must dictate fly selection that is what makes a succesful fly angler.

I generally spend 15 - 20 minutes sitting and observing the river and observe many things like whether there is a hatch if so what insect, look for a feeding fish is it taking from the surface or feeding on nymphs, and how confidently is it taking the insect. Water temp, air temp, water levfl, light etc .......then ill make my fly choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Green dabbler all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

for river brown trout, if I could use just use one fly all season it would be size 12 DHE. If I could add another it would be a BH zonker. Reckon I could fish from March-September with just these flies. For a change of dry I would like to add a size 16 CDC tuft emerger.....

Having said that I tie 000s of flies per year, with the range of materials and patterns available now it is hard not to...

Apart from upstream spider fishing I find I "always" end up with one of the above 3 on my line, somehow regardless of what i start with.

Roll on 1st March!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

czech nymph patterns and PTN. on the rivers buzzers on the loughs early to mid season season.

whelzer wrote: »
    for river brown trout, if I could use just use one fly all season it would be size 12 DHE. If I could add another it would be a BH zonker. Reckon I could fish from March-September with just these flies. For a change of dry I would like to add a size 16 CDC tuft emerger.....

Having said that I tie 000s of flies per year, with the range of materials and patterns available now it is hard not to...

Apart from upstream spider fishing I find I "always" end up with one of the above 3 on my line, somehow regardless of what i start with.

Roll on 1st March!

Yes i agree i must tie hundreds of different patterns every winter.......i end up giving half to my old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

salmon early - willie gunn tube
    salmon may on - anything small, black, silver body, double
    salmon late - orange/red

seatrout - lake early - bibio, march brown
    sea trout - may on - green peter
    sea trout late - green peter

if i had to pick one - green peter - will do for just about everything except early salmon

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Gold beaded hares ear.
    I don't salmon fish.

I was going to reply with pretty much exactly the same as above. Pheasant tail nymph and GRHE for me will work from first day of the season to the last, on lakes from Corrib and Derg right down to mountain streams and rainbow fisheries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Brown trout river - Hares ear
    Brown trout lake - Bibio

Seatrout - Medicine

There was a time when my sea trout fly box contained only three patterns - Teal Blue and Silver, Medicine and Muddler.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Brown trout river - Hares ear
    Brown trout lake - Bibio

Seatrout - Medicine

There was a time when my sea trout fly box contained only three patterns - Teal Blue and Silver, Medicine and Muddler.

To be honest Sea Fields i forgot about the medicine. Interesting to hear how highly you rate it.......Better hit the fly tying vice this evening.

I forgot to add my choices for rainbow trout.

Buzzers( in particular red bead heads)
    Heavy leaded bugs
    Bloodworm patterns

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Blue flash Damsel, neon Damsel, Klinkhammer, PTN and Sherry Spinner

Advertisement