Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget reel for mackerel

Options
  • 02-01-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello

I’m newby in fishing so apologies for silly question. Just bought 12 feet 2 piece Fladen rod to catch some mackerel in Dalkey area (south Dublin).
    I know mackerel season starts in spring but 8 eur rod looked like a good bargain at Woodies tackle sale.

However, Woodies reels were sold out, only this left FLADEN BLISTER WARBIRD FLY FISHING REEL
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Fladen-Blister-Warbird-Fly-Fishing-Reel/20426/4.21.3.6#.UsUzrdK8BH4

My understanding Fly Reel is not suitable for sea fishing. Shimano reels are available on ebay, have good reviews but a bit over the budget.

Where can I buy Budget reel for mackerel fishing for around 30-40 eur?
    What size is suitable for 12 feet rod? Any sales in tackle shops?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

kozak wrote: »
    Hello

I’m newby in fishing so apologies for silly question. Just bought 12 feet 2 piece Fladen rod to catch some mackerel in Dalkey area (south Dublin).
    I know mackerel season starts in spring but 8 eur rod looked like a good bargain at Woodies tackle sale.

However, Woodies reels were sold out, only this left FLADEN BLISTER WARBIRD FLY FISHING REEL
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Fladen-Blister-Warbird-Fly-Fishing-Reel/20426/4.21.3.6#.UsUzrdK8BH4

My understanding Fly Reel is not suitable for sea fishing. Shimano reels are available on ebay, have good reviews but a bit over the budget.

Where can I buy Budget reel for mackerel fishing for around 30-40 eur?
    What size is suitable for 12 feet rod? Any sales in tackle shops?

Thanks

Hi kozak,
    The fly reel is for fly fishing, a basic multiplyer reel should suffice.

Most tackle shops will be selling equiptment at low cost this time of the year, or else search online.

Load it up with 20lb mainline, buy a few feathers and bobs your uncle.

Mackerel fishing is as basic as fishing gets, so you will get on fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1 on all this except a cheap fixed spool is much more suited to a beginner who is just targeting mackerel. Your local tackle store should have a wide selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

The first one is more suitable for boat fishing an I'd say the second is a pile of sh1te :D

I'd say something like this would give you much more enjoyment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

Your rod is suited to a fixed spool reel so dont bother with a multi, a cheap one wont cast very well and you wont be able to enjoy using it. Google images search "birds nest multiplier" and youll see what will happen if you get a cheap one without a proper breaking system.
    For fixed spools you really do get what you pay for. A cheap one will have cheap gears and they will corrode quickly from the stress of mackie bashing. Different brands will have different ways of sizing the reels so look for something that holds at least 300 yards of .35m line and preferably 2 spools. You dont need to spend big money but the less you spend, the more likely you will grind the gears up. A decent 2nd hand reel like a shimano navi in good nick for €40/50 would be a better buy than a new reel about the same price
    Use a shockleader too, this will help make it easy to cast as the line under your finger is thicker and less likely to cut you. It is also much safer and less likely to snap during the cast. Banging out 3 or 4 oz leads on 15/18lb line is dangerous. You want 10lb of leader for each oz of lead so 40lb is a good option and a €5 spool will last a long time.
    When loading the reel you can put on about 120-140yards of cheap line and then fill the rest with a better brand. The more line on the reel the better it will cast but filling it from the bottom up with good line is a waste as your probably only gonna cast a max of 100yards at a time.
    Hope this makes sense, any questions just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

have a look in the fishing section of adverts.ie loads of good second hand reels in that section.
    Fishing from the shore for macs only gets good from august on if you go much earlier than that you will end up getting pissed off with fishing and give it up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I know mackerel season starts in spring

Yeah right! Must have been July before we saw a mack in 2013....

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Yeah right! Must have been July before we saw a mack in 2013....

I agree.... I dont do much sea angling anymore but generrally july,august,September are the best months for mackerel in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

dmc17 wrote: »
    The first one is more suitable for boat fishing an I'd say the second is a pile of sh1te :D

I'd say something like this would give you much more enjoyment

I'd go for the second one myself, superb reel. Good review here

I use one myself, as do a few buddies. Quality reel for the money. Lineaeffe make good stuff..

Advertisement