Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West coast sea fishing

Options
  • 01-01-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hey all, Happy new year to ya!!
    Just wondering if sea fishing around Galway would be any goodaround the end of Jan start of Feb? Would there be many species to catch? Any recommendations for a charter? Any/all advice greatly appreciated!
    Thigh lines

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Hey all, Happy new year to ya!!
    Just wondering if sea fishing around Galway would be any goodaround the end of Jan start of Feb? Would there be many species to catch? Any recommendations for a charter? Any/all advice greatly appreciated!
    Thigh lines

Doubt you'll get a charter boat til March, most boats are out of the water over the winter. Shore fishing is not hectic either, flatties are usually gone off to spawn and won'e be back inshore til ~March as well, but some places will throw up doggies and early ray. Night fishing you'll get plenty of coalies, whiting and rockling this time of year, but they tend to be tiny...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I would be in no rush to fish at the moment the weather but Bass and Pollock would be around if you got a nice cold calm day.

I would be interested to see what the above poster has to say about the whiting fishing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

haybob wrote: »
    I would be in no rush to fish at the moment the weather but Bass and Pollock would be around if you got a nice cold calm day.

I would be interested to see what the above poster has to say about the whiting fishing

Um, I did mention whiting. In my experience you will rarely catch any decent whiting on the west coast from the shore, I've never landed one of eating size anyway. Off the boat is a different matter, but I wouldn't be going afloat in this weather!

Advertisement