Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applied social studies in social care

• 17-12-2013 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I am really considering going back to college in the new year as a mature student and hoping to study Applied social studies in social care. I've researched a few things online, but hoping others could recommend i or give some insight? Im eager to do it but on the other hand afraid of it turning out to be the wrong choice for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mdn

Hi,
    As a mature student I completed the Applied Social Studies in Social Care Course. As a course it can be a bit of a mixed bag: there is something in it for everyone. At the time IT Tralee, in its prospectus, mistakenly promoted it as an avenue into the probation service in Ireland. That was why I completed the course. Unfortunately it was too late when I discovered the error. However, in its favour a degree in Social Care is a necessary qualification for anyone who wishes the work in the area of residential childcare, services for the elderly and with many of those agencies who assist the marginalised and disadvantaged. The prospectuses from any of the major ITs will give you a general outline of the topics covered in each of the years.

I would say that most of the Institutes of Technology are very keen to offer support and guidance to mature students and returning to full time education need not be so daunting. I had been out of full time education for 23 years and in a totally unrelated profession but I found the experience fulfilling and valuable.

You will be required to do two practice placements and you can decide which placements you wish to do: this has the added advantage of helping you to decide the particular career you wish to pursue. Should you choose you can always continue to do a postgrad.

Overall, my experience was positive. However, I would be slightly cautious with regard to the numbers of people who are graduating with this qualification on a yearly basis. It would be interesting to discover how many of them find employment in the social care sector.
    If you wish to private message me you are most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marzipanP87

Thanks very much, really appreciate the comment its very helpful.. i have always had an interest in this course but do worry about the academic side of it,i would love to work more with the elderly so hopefully i will be making the right choice..

Advertisement