Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ergon bar ends or Bullbars?

Options
  • 02-12-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭

I have a hybrid and am looking to do some touring and a few 100k cycles next year. I'm currently doing 50k spins twice a week in under 2hrs and not feeling any wrist pain or finger numbness but I'm sure 3-4hrs on the bike would be a different story. Just wondering has anybody here used Bullbars like this or bar ends like this ?
    I can't fit drop bars as I'd have to change my gear shifters and brake levers and my budget is a bit tight for that at the moment, possibly not an option at all with the hydraulic discs on the bike.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I use bar ends like those, big big help for long cycles. Particularly useful for climbing out of the saddle. Wouldn't hesitate buying bar ends for a hybrid again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cyclic

I do a bit of touring and recommend the bar ends- but not for 45 pounds. I've tried a few pricey brands. Lidl have good bar ends in their bike stuff deals (really). They cost 10 euros. I'd wait for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I'd go for the small ergonomic bar ends. They make a huge difference, especially when climbing like Darkglasses said. I wouldn't use the bullbars - the ends don't look ergonomic, and I think that would make you less inclined to use them. The bullbars would be useful though if you need to stick something on the bonnet of your caddy when driving in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I had these, but found myself not using the barend grip at all on a 200k ride.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-multiflex-aksb-10-handlebar-grips-prod28694/

They're really well made and comfortable otherwise. Anybody wants a full length pair? :-)

Yesterday I've installed these, it seems that the wrist support is more rubbery and dampens the road buzz better:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ergon-ergon-phorm-g210-handlebar-grips-prod25139/

They're heavy as hell, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've a MTB I use for commuting. I use something like those ergon grips. Made a big difference. I also use just regular bar ends for more positions and lower position on a windy day.

Bit like these only mine are not raised like that, but almost flat.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f2/Bar_ends.JPG/1280px-Bar_ends.JPG

I did try some fancy combined grip/bar end, but it wasn't that comfortable. But its probably very subjective what people find comfy. A slightly different shape would have one person loving it and another hating it.

It was these I didn't like. Seemed to put my heel and pressure point on hard part where it attached to the handlebar.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_134014_-1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Jaysus I didn't notice they were 45 quid, rip off. A small set for 15/20 will do just fine.

Put them at at most a 45 degree angle to the brake levers. Or even flatter. Definitely not pointing upwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

I use bar ends like these on my hybrid for commuting very comfy but can be a bit cold in the mornings as they are just bare metal.

They are good when you are trying to tuck down a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have specialized P2 bar ends on my hybrid and I find them great, nice and ergonomic plus a plastic covering so not cold metal on the hands. I got mine for 18 euro in the LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I bit the bullet and bought the Ergon ones a few years back and best investment I made on the bike by a long shot. The grips are very comfortable and bar ends are good quality.

I got a pair for another bike in ROSE a few weeks back for under 30 Euro which was great value, BBB also do a version now so you can pick them up a bit cheaper but don't think they'll be much cheaper than ROSE bikes.

As others have said there are cheaper versions of bar ends available but the Ergon include the grip.

I've tried the Bull-bars and never liked the shape but each to there own.

Advertisement