Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing Machine Advice

Options
  • 20-11-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I want to buy a sewing machine for general craft sewing, cushions, curtains, some heavier material etc., Unfortunately I have no idea what to buy. Can anyone help with some advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are lots of good machines out there, some people prefer one brand over another. I have always had Singer, others will tell you Pfaff , Brother etc. I suggest that you buy a branded machine rather than a 'special offer' and that you look for something with a bit of weight to it. The very light ones tend to move around as you use them. You might look at a reconditioned machine of a reliable make - one of the ones I mentioned - rather than a cheaper new one. Spend your money on a good motor rather than fancy stitches. All you really need is straight and zig-zag (swing needle) sewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Red door

Hi - Thanks a million. What weight of machine is classed as heavy? I am reading about stitch memory and all such things. Do you have any advice on that? My head is melting from information overload. Really appreciate your help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Red door wrote: »
    Hi - Thanks a million. What weight of machine is classed as heavy? I am reading about stitch memory and all such things. Do you have any advice on that? My head is melting from information overload. Really appreciate your help. :)

It really depends what you want it for. If it's just for basic sewing, zigzag and buttonholes, hems etc, never mind about stitch memory :) whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Red door

Boombastic wrote: »
    It really depends what you want it for. If it's just for basic sewing, zigzag and buttonholes, hems etc, never mind about stitch memory :) whats your budget?

Hi - my budget is approx € 600 !! I suppose I don't want to get something which I will want to be upgrading in a years time !!! But when I look at some online stores I'm not sure that I will get something very decent for that !! I see weights going from 8 kg up - what advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Red door wrote: »
    Hi - my budget is approx € 600 !! I suppose I don't want to get something which I will want to be upgrading in a years time !!! But when I look at some online stores I'm not sure that I will get something very decent for that !! I see weights going from 8 kg up - what advice?

This is the one I have, I didn't pay 16,000 dollars for it though, about 600 euro iirc...I'd highly recommend it

http://welcome.brother.com/th-en/products-services/home-sewing-machines/bc-2100.tab2.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement