Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GP Buddy Medical Directory

• 20-11-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure whether to put this here or under Health somewhere.

I've started a small company in the healthcare industry and while promoting it to a local medical centre, one of the GPs suggested adding myself to the GP Buddy medical directory.

It all seems free and then when you want to publish your membership, the fee is €249.

I understand that this is reasonable compared to most ads but I'm wondering how established the directory is and if it has much reach.

Has anyone got any experience with it?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 MrWatts

I don't think GPs in Ireland are allowed to advertise?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

I'd never heard that before.

This seems to be a Medical Directory for GP services to refer to. You don't have access to the directory unless you're a registered GP or you've advertised there, hence the mystery

"GPs have traditionally not been allowed to advertise."

"The Competition Authority advocated to the Medical Council that unnecessary restrictions on truthful and informative advertising by GPs should be removed."

"New Medical Council Guidelines, published in November 2009, have removed these restrictions on advertising."

http://www.tca.ie/EN/News--Publications/News-Releases/Competition-Authority-Identifies-Necessary-Reforms-in-GP-Services-.aspx

Despite what the Competition Authority say, GPs are a highly conservative bunch -- their loyalties are to the Medical Council and not government agencies. I recently asked my GP if he'd like me to put together a very simple profile page + domain name for his practice . He was very wary of the idea and I understand where he's coming from. The Medical Council don't want US-style ambulance chasers.

Maybe there is a market for a directory of GPs, but I'm skeptical of the whole "web directory" concept. It's very 1990s. Google automatically show businesses close to your location and even present a map. I can't think of any example of a successful "web directory" operating in Ireland.

"GPs have traditionally not been allowed to advertise."

"The Competition Authority advocated to the Medical Council that unnecessary restrictions on truthful and informative advertising by GPs should be removed."

"New Medical Council Guidelines, published in November 2009, have removed these restrictions on advertising."

http://www.tca.ie/EN/News--Publications/News-Releases/Competition-Authority-Identifies-Necessary-Reforms-in-GP-Services-.aspx

Despite what the Competition Authority say, GPs are a highly conservative bunch -- their loyalties are to the Medical Council and not government agencies. I recently asked my GP if he'd like me to put together a very simple profile page + domain name for his practice . He was very wary of the idea and I understand where he's coming from. The Medical Council don't want US-style ambulance chasers.

Maybe there is a market for a directory of GPs, but I'm skeptical of the whole "web directory" concept. It's very 1990s. Google automatically show businesses close to your location and even present a map. I can't think of any example of a successful "web directory" operating in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It doesn't appear to be your typical consumer facing mass produced, template directory. More of a 'by medical professionals' for medical professionals type of thing.

I'd normally agree that directories are a waste of money but if this one does actually reach your target market directly it may be worth a punt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement